Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

21 minutes ago, GazRFC said:

Hi guys, Rangers fan here, joined last night to give you some insight into Gerrard and his team and style of play. 

I gather from here that a lot of you are underwhelmed at this appointment and I suppose understandably so. However I think you will be surprised.

He came to us in 2018 off the back of us being pumped 4-0 and 5-0 in successive weeks from Celtic with our caretaker in charge, we were a riot. 

in his first season, he had us neck and neck with Celtic at the new year and managed to record our first league win over Rodgers Celtic, the first time we had beaten Celtic in the league since we got put down the leagues.

He also qualified through 4 rounds of EL qualifying within his first 2 months in charge, becoming the first team to ever do this. He went on to do this on his second season, third season , Infact he has qualified us for the groups in all 4 seasons he’s been here, beating teams like galatasaray along the way. 

with us, he plays an attacking 4-3-3 formation but one of his weaknesses is his in game management. Often waiting too long to make subs. 

Michael Beale is the brains behind his operation and he will be valuable to you. He is a serious talent. 

There is a danger of being caught up in the “gerrard circus” with the media but it’s good exposure for you guys. Any questions just let me know but I seriously think he will do well with all the money he will have to spend, he worked wonders with us on a serious budget

Hi Gaz, welcome and thanks for the insight.

Are the majority of you guys actually gutted he’s gone then?

Also, are there any players from Rangers or in Scotland you think Gerrard will have his eye on?

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

Jim white has just said (presumably from Purslow) that Villa interviewed 4 and Gerrard blew everyone else out of the water. He will do his first press conference on Tuesday.

He said something about a club being a pleasure to negotiate with, was he referring to Rangers or Villa I didn’t quite catch it?

7 hours ago, PaulC said:

The thing is that when people say its not just the 5 game run its true but he wouldn't have been sacked if we had have beaten Wolves. It took a run like that for the board to their mind up. 

Its a combination Paul.

The 5 game run, maybe allied to the results of 2021 and the business of landing us in a precarious position.....focused their mind....my suspicion is, they had doubts for a while.

but.............There is no silver bullet either.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He said something about a club being a pleasure to negotiate with, was he referring to Rangers or Villa I didn’t quite catch it?

I would guess us, we been complimented on our behavior in that regards before. Norwich did say we were respectfult and a good club to deal with in regards to Buendia. 

13 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I don’t think either of those would cost big money compared to what we are used to spending - Eduard was the standout player up there and palace got him for about £12m - I think rangers are short of cash but of course gerrard May decide with the finances he has that he can get better elsewhere 

Yep, but I personally prefer us to give current players a shot. At least dont hamper the youths chances to play. 

Its a fine accent, the nearest to what Shakespeare would have been speaking.Honestly I think its part of the city/region's lack of self confidence I am sure Mancs and Scousers don't think that of their own accents. Its far nicer than the horrid mockney/estuary accent that pollutes my ear drums from most media outlets.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

He said that Villa have said that Rangers were a pleasure to deal with, which I’m sure will delight Rangers fans that they were so lovely to us as we took all their staff.

The other candidates weren’t named.

54 minutes ago, GazRFC said:

Hi guys, Rangers fan here, joined last night to give you some insight into Gerrard and his team and style of play. 

I gather from here that a lot of you are underwhelmed at this appointment and I suppose understandably so. However I think you will be surprised.

He came to us in 2018 off the back of us being pumped 4-0 and 5-0 in successive weeks from Celtic with our caretaker in charge, we were a riot. 

in his first season, he had us neck and neck with Celtic at the new year and managed to record our first league win over Rodgers Celtic, the first time we had beaten Celtic in the league since we got put down the leagues.

He also qualified through 4 rounds of EL qualifying within his first 2 months in charge, becoming the first team to ever do this. He went on to do this on his second season, third season , Infact he has qualified us for the groups in all 4 seasons he’s been here, beating teams like galatasaray along the way. 

with us, he plays an attacking 4-3-3 formation but one of his weaknesses is his in game management. Often waiting too long to make subs. 

Michael Beale is the brains behind his operation and he will be valuable to you. He is a serious talent. 

There is a danger of being caught up in the “gerrard circus” with the media but it’s good exposure for you guys. Any questions just let me know but I seriously think he will do well with all the money he will have to spend, he worked wonders with us on a serious budget

Thanks for posting, I always like to see fans of other teams post. Gerrard was not my number 1 choice but he is really growing on me. I have now read a few times a weakness he may have is game management and use of subs. That does worry me a little as we have had that issue ourselves for quite a long time with various managers.

Good luck with finding a new manager, it is not the easiest task. 

28 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

@GazRFC Can I ask whether you think your relative overachievement in Europe was down to playing teams with a more expansive, attacking style rather than the low block you often faced in the league?

Good question, not really because we have beaten teams in Europe who also come to Ibrox to set up not to lose, but i think there can be no doubt that we play much better football when teams actually try to play against us instead of this low block nonsense. 

there has been times during his tenure where he’s looked a bit clueless when we’re sitting at 0-0 at the 70th minute against a low block. 

at Villa, he won’t have many teams playing the low block against you so I think this will suit his style to a T - gerrard will certainly have a go against the big boys and not set up to not lose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Some things purslow says can be taken with a pinch of salt , he was set on Gerrard long before any so called interviews  , he was blown away by Gerrard long before this week - there’s a Liverpool forum thread somewhere about how he used to follow Gerrard around like a puppy and it was standing joke among the players at the time 

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Hi Gaz, welcome and thanks for the insight.

Are the majority of you guys actually gutted he’s gone then?

Also, are there any players from Rangers or in Scotland you think Gerrard will have his eye on?

It’s split mate, I for one am looking forward to a bit of change. He’s left us in a great position and it’s looking like van bronckhorst will be taking over. 

Gerrard had an absolute hard on for Connor goldson the whole time he was here, think he’s only missed like 6 games in 3 years, even when playing badly and he’s not signed a new deal here so I think it’s a stick on that gerrard will bring him to Villa.

Joe aribo, glen kamara and Ryan Kent if I had to pick anyone I think he would be most inclined to try and buy although would cost you a decent wedge, but that’s no problem to you guys is it lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â