Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

“I would like to express my sincere gratitude to everybody associated with Glasgow Rangers for giving me the opportunity to manage such an iconic football club. Helping them secure a record-breaking 55th league title will always hold a special place in my heart. I would like to wish the players, staff and supporters the very best for the future.”

https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2021/november/11/villa-announce-steven-gerrard-as-head-coach/

When he is wishing the staff the best for the future, he could have personalised it a bit more and said Good luck to the staff in the new jobs at Aston Villa :)

Like every other supporter, I have no idea whether SG will do well for Villa. In some ways I am past caring. False Dawn should be our middle name.  

On the other hand, I hope we are a match made in heaven and that we lift the European Cup (or whatever it is called now!) in 4/5 years time. 😀

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 2

He's a winner, he takes no shit, his coaches are quality, lets get this going.

Heard a quote today that our team will not have worked as hard as they will under Gerrard, an if they don't graft like he expects, they won't be in the team.

To me the team seemed to have got very lazy towards the end of Smith's tenor, so this can only be good news.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

I assumed this is a joke so I wrote in comic sans for you. 

Laugh! I nearly sacked my manager for an unproven one from a 2 horse league

I hope we get to a level where we have a dilemma cus he’s left to go to Liverplop…

Talking of comedy…unfortunately we’re the laughing stock

He’s pants we’re in a relegation battle or he uses us as a stepping stone

At least with Dean Smith you knew he really cared about our club and would work his socks off to get it right…there’s not many managers u can say that about

48 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I'm beginning to think some of these are joke posts at this stage... I honestly can't tell anymore. If this is a joke my apologies. If not, just to pick out one of the beyond boring points that might have seemed okay about 4 days ago; What's the plan if Gerrard leaves? Well, my guess is, and I'm going to put my head on the block here, we'll appoint someone else.

Hopefully not in the championship…eh!

Villa at this point in time were never going to be able to appoint a bone fide established elite manager , so it was always going to be someone up and coming or a manager who's had a setback elsewhere.

I'm 60/40 that it's going to turn out badly for both parties but that's just the lifelong Villa fan in me talking, we've been here many times after all. 

I've no real love for the guy other than in an England shirt when I backed him 110% and I'll do the same whilst he's in the Villa dugout but I do admit he posesses certain qualities that I think will help us.

Professional, no nonense , serial winner as a player...he seems to have brought those qualities into Rangers, let's hope he can instill them in Villa.

At times I thought DS was too much of friend to certain players and whilst that's a style of management that can work , I think when you're ambitious like our owners are you need a manager that can command healthy level of respect without being the players friend.  Whether he turns out to be a brilliant manager for us or not , there's no denying that Gerrard had a playing career that most of our squad can only dream of and I think that makes a big difference to some players.

I hope he can help us. We will see. 

• Like 1

Phil McNulty thinks Gerrard's 'stellar' reputation will be able to attract players - have to say I hadn't considered it much but when explaining it to the wife I said it's like having Beckham in charge only the ugly version, and then the penny dropped, he probably can attract talent. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

Villa at this point in time were never going to be able to appoint a bone fide established elite manager , so it was always going to be someone up and coming or a manager who's had a setback elsewhere.

Really? We are loaded and a premier league club. Look he's here now and I will back him but I have a nagging feeling we could have been more ambitious.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Â