Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

This is nonsense though, the job he has been given at Aston Villa is the same as the one he has been doing for 3 years at Rangers.

So it's like the CEO of Ford hiring the lead car designer of Jaguar as a their own lead car designer. 

The levels are very different. It's more like Ferrari hiring Lada's lead car designer.

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

Gerrard rejecting Liverpool in 3 or 4 years to stay with Villa for our Champions League campaign may help to get some of the anti Gerrard on side. Not all of them, but I think a few may start to support him a bit more

This is ridiculous.  Don't get me wrong, I think Gerrard is a terrible appointment from a business decision perspective, purely because of the risk associated with his inexperience.  We hired him purely based off of who he was as a player and 3 years of managerial experience equivalent to learning how to ride a bike with training wheels on.  He could turn out to be brilliant, or Steve Kean 2.0 on the other hand, but has a higher chance of just being OK (think Lampard) than one extreme or the other.  Do I want him to succeed?  Absolutely.  Would I have hired someone else instead?  Yes, but that ship has sailed already.  He's here now, so I'll back him completely until he proves he isn't up to the task any longer.  If he gets us into the Champions League in 3-4 seasons, he'll be one of the best Villa managers of the past 30 years.  The suggestion he'll never win some of us over is moronic.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KMitch said:

This is ridiculous.  Don't get me wrong, I think Gerrard is a terrible appointment from a business decision perspective, purely because of the risk associated with his inexperience.  We hired him purely based off of who he was as a player and 3 years of managerial experience equivalent to learning how to ride a bike with training wheels on.  He could turn out to be brilliant, or Steve Kean 2.0 on the other hand, but has a higher chance of just being OK (think Lampard) than one extreme or the other.  Do I want him to succeed?  Absolutely.  Would I have hired someone else instead?  Yes, but that ship has sailed already.  He's here now, so I'll back him completely until he proves he isn't up to the task any longer.  If he gets us into the Champions League in 3-4 seasons, he'll be one of the best Villa managers of the past 30 years.  The suggestion he'll never win some of us over is moronic.  

joke

noun

a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.

"she was in a mood to tell jokes"

https://www.google.com/search?q=Joke+definition&oq=Joke+definition&aqs=chrome..69i57.6006j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It’s a massive gamble imo
He’s never managed in the Premier League
He’s gonna feck off if he is successful to Liverplop…that’s his dream job (whether we’re in Champions league or not)
What’s r plan then?
Don’t get the logic tbh

I’ll still support him though

20 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Globally, I'm pretty sure they have a bigger fanbase than we do.  Hell, Rangers had the only football supporters club in Detroit ~15 years ago when I started following the sport.  

Yes they probably do but they are in a mid sized parochial league in northern Europe and Villa are in the biggest league in the world.

5 minutes ago, KMitch said:

The suggestion he'll never win some of us over is moronic.  

Read back on this thread. That is exactly what some fans are saying their view is. Its moronic to post something on a thread without actually reading the thread to see what has been discussed. 

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Should we only recruit players that have 15 years experience too? Over 35 year olds only? We should probably scrap the youth development too. None of them have any experience

Like jn every other job, you work your way up one level at a time. An u18 is an apprentice. An under 23 is doing their final exams. Getting into the first team squad is the supporting role. Becoming a first team player is when you become a proper player. And so on.

Gerrard is no longer a novice manager, but the proper progression would be established championship club looking to get promoted. Instead he skipped that and went straight to midtable Premier league team. So he'll either sink of swim. Now he is here I hope he thrives, but I'm not going to bet on it. And I am definitely not as positive about the clubs direction as I was previously. Hopefully he exceeds my expectations which are rather low now.

• Like 2

Â