Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

48 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

You keep saying you are onboard and backing him 100% but somehow I keep getting this spooky feeling that’s not entirely the case. Can’t work out why I think that. 😉

I can still back him but my expectations/ambitions are lower than previously of the club.  

When we sold Jack, whoever we brought in I was going to back 100%, also knowing the quality was likely to be less so my expectation was likely to be less of that new player.  Just as when we brought in Buendia I will back 100% but my expectation on him is a lot higher than say Ramsey.

You can surely see the difference, that I can back somebody 100% but expectation can differ.  Expectation of club next move was next level but they decided not to go that route so we brought in Gerrard and now I back him 100% with that expectation.

18 minutes ago, TheEgo said:

and you are still talking about it. Time to let it go I'd say. Gerrard won't be doing that, its a mute point 

Did I say he would?  Pretty sure I explicitly said I don't think anyone would act that way again...  

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

OK, here's my tuppence. All in all, I'm not totally sure how this will go down but I do understand the decision. I know many of the candidates would not have worked. I can t east say with Gerrard, I don't know.

- He's our manager and I'm totally behind him. All I ask is measurable, demonstrable improvement, some semblance of planning and forethought, some compose and awareness on the pitch.

- I do not give a flying toss about his connections to another club. It is of no consequence to me. He's a Villa man now until he isn't. I do respect that he gave everything to that club though. It shows loyalty and character. I'm a Villa fan. I don't require the manager to be one too, however nice that is. I just want them to do their job. Villa's success is all that matters. If one day Gerrard moves on and it's considered upwards, it means he's done a good job here. Fine.

- I've always though he was honest, frank, astute and aware of the game based on his interviews. He's certainly no fool and no bullshitter. We'll know his honest thoughts and so will the players. He's a bit dour but I'd rather he was effective than entertaining.

- He's a big name in the game. The players will not question him as I think they might have with Smith. He is a winner. That cannot be denied. He's been a leader on and now off the pitch. Let's see how the players react. But there's only one winner here and the players had better shape up.

- This show guts from Gerrard. We're a team that have had a rough preseason and have a squad that needs work, still a month and a half away from what is always a difficult month to buy players. He could have waited for a more stable job and a summer of planning. He didn't. He's gone all in with a pair of 10s and I admire that. This confidence will serve him well.

I understand the trepidation as we're talking about a guy just starting to make his way through management. However, that start has been fantastic so I choose to be optimistic.
He hasn't managed in the Premier league but he played his entire career in it. It hasn't changed that much. He obviously feels up to it so lets see what he can do.

So yeah, bring it on. It definitely wasn't working and had to change and this is where we are.
Best of luck Steve.

Agree with 95% of this. Only point I don't is with regard to the players not respecting Smith, which I really don't see any evidence for. 

But the rest is pretty much where I'm at, although I'm perhaps not as optimistic as you yet about how he'll do, but give it time, and I'll be there too. 

20 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Does offering work-experience to Liverpool's future manager, make Villa a feeder club?

At the moment any manager who does well enough at Villa to get offered the Liverpool job would move to Anfield without a second glance.

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Gee whizz why on earth do Sky et al talk to Villa fans who are drunk by 11am???

kin hell!

If I wasn't at work, I'd be drunk off my arse. Same as any day, apart from Weekends, which I mostly spend drunk off my arse.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Expectation of club next move was next level but they decided not to go that route so we brought in Gerrard and now I back him 100% with that expectation.

That is not true. You are assuming that Gerrard won't be able to take us to the next level which is your opinion and there is nothing wrong with that. But saying the club decided not to go to the next level is just garbage

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm seriously anxious about the SJM song:wacko:

Oh god I hadn’t even thought about that 

“He Slippy’s new man, he’s better than Zidane” has a ring to it

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Gee whizz why on earth do Sky et al talk to Villa fans who are drunk by 11am???

kin hell!

There's always some ape ready to make an absolute bollix of themselves on camera.

I don't see how saying you don't 100% agree with or like the hire means you don't support the team. That shows we care about the team because we are concerned with the hire. For those in the unenthusiastic about this hire camp as I am just want the best for Villa, have no personal vendetta against Gerrard, and I am quite sure we all want him to prove us wrong. I want him to succeed because it means we are succeeding.

It just does my head in when somebody doesn't agree or back every single thing a club does, it automatically means we don't support the club. That's just ridiculous.

Again I sincerely hope he does prove a lot of people wrong and I support him in doing so, but will have my reservations until that happens.

• Like 2

The board are no fools so if they think SG is the man to take us back to European football then I think we have to respect that. This decision won’t be based on a hunch, they will have been considering all sorts of metrics to determine the likelihood of success.

I know there will be a bit of a circus around ‘Stevey Gs Aston Villa’ to begin with but personally I don’t mind the extra exposure for Villa. I love Dean Smith but there is no doubt he is not box office in the eyes of the neutral fan and does not raise the profile of villa much beyond the fan-manager narrative. Obviously counts for nothing if he doesn’t take us back up the league but it is a nice side effect.

57 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

FFS this is desperate stuff. Ha ha, people can imitate a clapped out 90s TV show’s impersonation of the Liverpool accent. Wow, I’m rolling about laughing.

I think you are missing the link to the Youtube video of Mr Gerrard starting every interview answer with "Yeah, course".....

*EDIT* Beaten to it.

Edited by TheStagMan

Â