The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

Sure. To name but a few:

Guardiola - only prior experience was a year with the Barca youth team

Zidane - Zero years prior managerial experience

Tuchel - with far less experience than Gerrard, joined consistent relegation strugglers (at the time) Mainz. Got them to finish 9th, then 5th the following season.

Klopp - in his first professional management job, again with Mainz, managed to survive relegation from the 2nd division, then narrowly missed out on promotion for two seasons, the next year got promoted to the Bundesliga, and then finished 11th.

Dean Smith - joined Walsall and avoided relegation, then two mid-table finishes, got them to a Wembley final (English Football League Trophy), then left with them sitting in 4th place in the league.

Alex Ferguson - with only a few months prior experience at East Stirlingshire, took over at St Mirren who were in the bottom half of the 2nd division. Within three years they were promoted and then champions of the 1st division.

All managers who went into jobs with far less experience than Gerrard and succeeded. Of course, it goes wrong too sometimes, but it goes wrong for experienced managers too! It's just the way it is when you're managing in the hardest league in the world.
Only two of these managers had more resources than Aston Villa currently have and they, not only succeeded at those clubs, but went on to have superb managerial careers. I think we all need to have a little faith/positivity and not get on his back right away because, let's be honest, it doesn't do anybody (him, the players, or even the fans) any favours.

Arsene Wenger

13 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Slightly concerned that supposedly his team do all the coaching.

Probably just naive of me and the footballing world.

In general I’m okay with the appointment.

It's one of the things that makes me more confident in Gerrard. He is obviously happy to use a team (and they are happy to be led by him) even if he doesn't have the specific skillset they have. And from all accounts he has assembled a pretty good team. That's the sign of a good leader and manager. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

That question and response would be relevant to any manager in the world too. At least those realistically available to us. 

Then that's depressing, although I do wonder about that. Lucien Favre nearly joining Palace leads me to believe he's realistically available to us, and he answers the question I posed pretty convincingly I feel. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

He's admitted this himself, saying Mike Beale, is 20x the coach he will ever be. Supposed to be a top quality coach this dude, guess we will see in the next couple of weeks.

Like he said some people have been coaching 15 or 20 years , he concentrated on playing so there are better coaches than him around - o neill was the same .

Just now, Keyblade said:

Then that's depressing, although I do wonder about that. Lucien Favre nearly joining Palace leads me to believe he's realistically available to us, and he answers the question I posed pretty convincingly I feel. 

He also said he turned it down because he wants a longer break. Newcastle fans might pose a similar question as to why they ended up with Eddie Howe, although they seem to have gone with it. Maybe Favre simply doesn't fit the mould of what the board want from their head coach too. I dunno. In any case, there's no such thing as a guaranteed win here. They're all gambles.

I have been impressed by the things I have read and watched on Gerrard since the rumour became solid, but in the end it matters not one bit. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Nicho said:

Slightly concerned that supposedly his team do all the coaching.

Probably just naive of me and the footballing world.

In general I’m okay with the appointment.

3 minutes ago, rubberman said:

It's one of the things that makes me more confident in Gerrard. He is obviously happy to use a team (and they are happy to be led by him) even if he doesn't have the specific skillset they have. And from all accounts he has assembled a pretty good team. That's the sign of a good leader and manager. 

Putting the Gerrard positive/negative thing aside, a manager leaning heavily on his coaches/assistants is a very regular thing.

If you listen to Alex Ferguson's book, he mentions numerous times that he rarely ever coached the team himself, he left that to his coaches, he set the standards and discipline etc, and held the team to a high standard, and ensured everyone was on their toes, he let his trusted team do the day to day coaching mostly.

I would imagine there are very few true "solo coaches" who try to do it all, or even most of it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

How come he only nearly joined?

3 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I think Steven has been seduced by the vision for the club just like many players seem to be. Its without doubt that in the space of a season we have gone from lots of pundits second favourite team to watch to be completely forgotten about again. The perception is that we are happy just to avoid relegation and that the likes of Everton West Ham and Leicester are run on a completely different financial footing and are far more ambitious. And that Newcastle is a far bigger job with all their resources. 

We do a shit job of keeping the medias attention now Greal has gone and Gerrard will defo heighten our profile again. I am starting to get very excited by this appointment and will support him to the hilt 

This is so true.  And it's been going on since before Gresford left as well. 

Dean arrived with all the talk of setting traps and creating the overload.  We were pleasing on the eye. 

But it's l been going horribly wrong for a long time.  We've been awful to watch, turned into a long ball and long throw team, we resemble 1988 Wimbledon far far more than 2009 Barcelona. 

I don't understand why more people can't see that, it's been a while as well. 

We need a new man with fresh ideas to turn it around now because we've shown no sign of getting out of it under Smith though it pains me to say this. There was just nothing on offer. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When we inevitably improve I can already sense the ‘Smith would have done this anyway  given time and now all the players are back’

Will be an interesting season.

Given you are already thinking that will be a thing, can you appreciate that it could be true.  Three major signings of the summer having only been on the pitch together for 35 mins in total this season and injuries throughout midfield last game.  It’s not unreasonable assertion to say that Smith may have done it.  Smith is the past now but his shadow will cover Gerrard until Gerrard can prove himself in more than just the next few months.

3 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

But why? 

i just don’t understand the contempt for the man.

Fella our history against liverpool over the years and have a look at who scores the most against us HIM!! , it was always painful seeing a club we couldn’t reach and the players for them walking over us such as the gerrards and rooneys ,for myself it was horrible they were in that spoilt player group and because i love this club and like all of us we should want to be up there  especially as one of the founding traditional clubs so yes i carry that weight on my shoulders, maybe I shouldn’t but i cant help that, im warming to the idea of having gerrard as manager as the hours go by but unwillingly , also because liverpool fans will now say its our boy that has done this and that for ya, so how can we brag peacefully with success towards that fan base.

Anyway as ive previously  said before he is certainly an attractive name and appears to be a decent coach, whether some of our players understand him or not is a different story but ill have to get behind him , but this is dean smiths villa until the end of the season okay lads 😂 our brummie villain 

Just now, Tom13 said:

How come he only nearly joined?

He had a contract agreed but did a u turn at the last minute as he felt he needed more time away from the game.

If it emerged that he was approached but wasn't interested it would soften the blow considerably but it seems that Gerrard was 1st choice bizzarely.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Arsene Wenger

Wenger seemed that way because of the era he started managing. He had 12 years of management experience before joining arsenal (including 7 years at Monaco). Of course, he'd have been well known if he did this today, but in the mid-80s to mid-90s people in the UK had little to no access to European club football and, obviously, no internet. So nobody knew who the hell he was when Arsenal hired him.

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He also said he turned it down because he wants a longer break. Newcastle fans might pose a similar question as to why they ended up with Eddie Howe, although they seem to have gone with it. Maybe Favre simply doesn't fit the mould of what the board want from their head coach too. I dunno. In any case, there's no such thing as a guaranteed win here. They're all gambles.

I have been impressed by the things I have read and watched on Gerrard since the rumour became solid, but in the end it matters not one bit. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating. 

Right, but some options are less gambles than others. Unless the board really thought Smith would have relegated us, I'm not sure why they've seemingly decided to take such a massive gamble. With their aim being to get into Europe in the next couple of years, I'm sure there are guys out there with the pedigree to (likelier than others) deliver on that, or at the very least more so than Steven Gerrard. Maybe I've misjudged them, or they see something in him that I can't see.

Now apologies if it’s not for this thread but I’m wondering why Gerrard didn’t take the Geordie gig ? Hopefully morally seen as an incorrect choice due to the background of the owners and even more hopeful that a few possible new signings will think along those lines , so just maybe we are hiring the right man 🙏, they can stick their don’t know Howe up their arriss