The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

7 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Last people you want to see in charge of your club is former players that made you sick to your teeth because of how much pain they caused against your side and even more so when they are gods to rival clubs and its always going to be a case of using us to get to where they really want to get to ... listen you can p**s right off , he may be a good manager i wont take that away (well we hope he is) but i don't feel good about it for those reasons whatsoever.  

hope he says no and we turn round and get thomas frank 

wishful thinking 😞

Perhaps why, we have struggled to get good managers.....with all the best players at other clubs.😀

Brian Little was good.

This romanticism, is not what brings success.....its nice, but not the essence of what required.

When they are willing to risk the wrath of a fanbase that idolised them, and come to us, with a vision of challenging the very people who love him......I would take that all day long.

Its like thinking you have to marry, the first girl you meet......You can love, along the way and still Marry someone else in the future......life is like that.

Who is to say that if SG gets the job, he could smash it and actually fall in love with Villa.

many of our players in the past have had strong bonds elsewhere, like Merse JT etc.....and still have a strong pull to us....Take off the blinkers and open up to an opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

@ada86 Not having a go buddy you seem well intentioned, but I am staggeringly confused by your posts and would concur with others in saying you haven't actually relayed any information to us of any substance at all. 

I can’t say the source Gerard at vp the person that I got info of will make the first team one day he is highly thought of and this person has agent so take it as you will believe me or not . But I’m genuine when I say this person will make the first team

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Villastine said:

You're delighted because "he's a born winner' (incidentally, he won feck all), leads me to think you are of the same mindset. 

Absolutely hilarious that a fellow fan of Aston Villa is criticizing the trophy haul of one of Englands best mids of the last 3 decades...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ada86 said:

I can’t say the source Gerard at vp the person that I got info of will make the first team one day he is highly thought of and this person has agent so take it as you will believe me or not . But I’m genuine when I say this person will make the first team

Can you tell us the first second third fourth fifth letters of his name? Or his initials? Go on give us a clue

14 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Strictly speaking there is no longer a “Smith out” “crowd” of course.

I only joined 2 days before he was sacked.  Got to throw my badge in the bin now, it's still in its plastic wrapper.  What a waste.

• Haha 1

Just for clarity, I believe that @ada86 is saying that a youth team player, or his agent, has told him that Steven Gerrard is at Villa Park.

Personally, I think that's unlikely, although Gerrard will doubtless be there at some point so that he can have his picture taken with a scarf, but I don't think they'd do that until all the t's have been crossed and the i's dotted. I think unfortunately the initial post by ada86 was a bit confusing to read and that's caused a bit of a kerfuffle.

If you want fuel for it, Ajani Burchall has signed his first contract with us today although the background to the pics of that could be at either VP or BMH.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Perhaps why, we have struggled to get good managers.....with all the best players at other clubs.😀

Brian Little was good.

This romanticism, is not what brings success.....its nice, but not the essence of what required.

When they are willing to risk the wrath of a fanbase that idolised them, and come to us, with a vision of challenging the very people who love him......I would take that all day long.

Its like thinking you have to marry, the first girl you meet......You can love, along the way and still Marry someone else in the future......life is like that.

Who is to say that if SG gets the job, he could smash it and actually fall in love with Villa.

many of our players in the past have had strong bonds elsewhere, like Merse JT etc.....and still have a strong pull to us....Take off the blinkers and open up to an opportunity.

I like what you have said from a breakdown POV but its like liverpool managing us and i dont want those ties with us, my club aston villa are far better than this , its purslows fault he loves those liverpool boys , he needs to be looked at himself , im not a fan of it i want someone off the grid no ties but a great modern thinking manager

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The international break is proving to be the most interesting one for a long time too

Don't worry it will soon become utterly mundane once England take to the pitch and bore us all senseless.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think like a lot of us I am on the fence with Gerrard. I have zero issues with some of the things I have seen mentioned on here like his Liverpool links and questioning his character. My only doubts stem from whether he is ready for a job as big as this in a league as tough as this and I don't think that can be answered until he has been here for a few months.

I'd have loved someone proven at taking clubs into Europe in one of the tougher leagues, who had managed at the top. I just don't know how realistic it was for us to get one of the current best managers so we have taken a gamble on someone who is hopefully going to be the next big thing. Maybe that reflects where we are as a club. In many ways though I prefer that to us having gone for someone who has been at or close to the top but is now on his way down. 

If Gerrard fails it won't be for the lack of trying. I take it as a given that he'll give this his all. He has as much to lose here as we do, perhaps more in some ways because if he fails here it has been shown by numerous past Villa managers to be almost an impossible task to come back and go on to anything like as big a club as Villa never mind better. 

I suppose therefore both parties are taking a chance and have a lot to lose. For that reason I am sure both sides will do all they can to ensure this is a success so I'd expect him to be heavily backed. 

It is going to be an interesting time at Villa and this could go either way but hopefully once he is appointed, despite any reservations, we'll all get 100% behind him and give him a fair chance. 

Agreed 100 per cent. Good post.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Absolutely hilarious that a fellow fan of Aston Villa is criticizing the trophy haul of one of Englands best mids of the last 3 decades...

Fair enough 🤣. But it's fairly low for the talent he had. If he was truly ruthless he have left Liverpool, like Grealish!

Anyway my point was without his name, his managerial record wouldn't get him near the Villa job. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Just for clarity, I believe that @ada86 is saying that a youth team player, or his agent, has told him that Steven Gerrard is at Villa Park.

Personally, I think that's unlikely, although Gerrard will doubtless be there at some point so that he can have his picture taken with a scarf, but I don't think they'd do that until all the t's have been crossed and the i's dotted. I think unfortunately the initial post by ada86 was a bit confusing to read and that's caused a bit of a kerfuffle.

If you want fuel for it, Ajani Burchall has signed his first contract with us today although the background to the pics of that could be at either VP or BMH.

If you want less fuel for it, the picture of Ajani signing his first contract is tagged Bodymoor Heath on Instagram.

I am clearly not busy enough today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Villastine said:

Well it looks to me like the club want a big name rather than someone with a proven track record. 

You're delighted because "he's a born winner' (incidentally, he won feck all), leads me to think you are of the same mindset. 

With all due respect to his unbeaten season from 3 in Scotland. He would not be near the Villa job if he wasn't a 'big name' 

For that reason its a huge risk 

😀

65% win ratio over nearly 200 games.....give me a break....I have no idea what you are talking about.

Can't they have a big name, with a  huge win ratio, and a strong Character.....thats what they are looking at.

Any manager is a huge risk, don't state the obvious....just say you don't like him.

I think our owners are well versed in risk management....I am not about to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, would be quite silly, don't you think?

• Like 2

Just now, nick76 said:

I’m starting to accept it’s going to be Gerrard.  I’m trying to focus on the positives and try to get excited by how the Rangers fans see him.  

I’ve said my piece on Gerrard many many times and my disappointment with Purslow if this happens will be high.

That being said, I’m trying to put a line under it and starting to focus on the positives of Gerrard and wrap my head around what he’ll bring and what his staff will bring.

This is where I need to be - struggling to get there at the moment though!!

3 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

This just feels like a huge punt. The more I look into how Rangers have performed under his tenure the less I'm impressed. 

When he took over, Rangers werent mired in the second division. They had just finished 3rd and a whopping 12 points behind Celtic. It took him 3 years to make up that gap.  In those 3 years not a single signing made under his tenure moved on to a bigger club.  It just isn't that impressive. 

He out spent his competition in a low quality league. No player development to really speak of.  This reeks of hiring a name to win the media and casual fans over. I really struggle to see the benefit from a footballing perspective. 

You need to sort out your spellcheck

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1