The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

There is already a cluster posters in tears before he's even been appointed!

Bizarre behaviour.

It's not Bizarre behavior at all, it's the same every time we appoint a new manager, so in favor, others not, but to call it Bizarre behavior is not correct. It's also not irrational, if anything, its human behavior. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

7m comp for Gerrard. Surely we aren't that stupid 

Looks like we are.

...I wonder if we are up for sale. And Stevie G makes us a bit more marketable.

The only positive is that SG must have seen something he likes and/or promised transfer kitty cash.

1 hour ago, peterw said:

I've never had an ITK and don't really take much of this but this sent to me by a mate - I work in Delhi, he in Belgrade both at High Commissions/Embassy (for context) - his message thus:

Pal of mine working for Scot Govt who has close ties to the Rangers board reckons that Gerrard's reps, Rangers and Villa met last night. £7m compo on the table. Pretty much a done deal according to my mate. Only things left to negotiate is who Gerrard takes with him form the backroom and not leave Rangers too exposed without any first team coaches. Apparently...thought I'd share.

For £7m we take the boardroom table with us.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

I think it's an appalling appointment but it just goes to show all those people that said Purslow was always attracted to "big names" were right.

Rangers aren't that good.

They won 1 trophy out of 9.

They beat a shambles of a Celtic team with an alcoholic manager to a title. Big deal.

The guy has no personality, he doesn't look inspiring once the fact it's "Steven Gerrard" wears off. He's drab, boring and dull. I iisten to him talk and I think 'were you really playing in 2000s' as you talk like a 70 year old man.

He's a proper yer da rolls your sleeves up get in their face gaffer.

It's not a good appointment and I fear for the season now.

Pretty much this.

I have no more likes left for all them Santa posts as well 😂

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Wow, have you not read these pages?  There are plenty who will be just itching for it to be a disaster.

Fortunately experience tells me very little of what is written on here or on Twitter transmits to Villa Park.  I'm 100% sure the new manager will get a great reaction in the flesh regardless of the bitters on here.   

It's the old story of the vocal minority of negativity.

As a slight aside. People post there thoughts on here.  If 90% of the forum was against Stevie G - it wouldn't make one iota of of difference as to whether he fails or not. -thats down to him.

• Like 1

I think where we are as a club, a lot of our appointments and signings are gambles. Danny Ings maybe one if not the only ones in recent times where you knew exactly what you were getting. And to be fair, the majority of the gambles have paid off in the last few years.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

On the plus side it’ll be good to see Danny Murphy so conflicted between his hatred of us and his love of Stevie. 😆 

The only immediate positive effect with this that I know is that Murphy said that Gerrard wouldn't go to us as we're not a big enough club. According to Danny M. Our ceiling is apparently too low. Would be nice to hear him explain this. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I think it's an appalling appointment but it just goes to show all those people that said Purslow was always attracted to "big names" were right.

Rangers aren't that good.

They won 1 trophy out of 9.

They beat a shambles of a Celtic team with an alcoholic manager to a title. Big deal.

The guy has no personality, he doesn't look inspiring once the fact it's "Steven Gerrard" wears off. He's drab, boring and dull. I iisten to him talk and I think 'were you really playing in 2000s' as you talk like a 70 year old man.

He's a proper yer da rolls your sleeves up get in their face gaffer.

It's not a good appointment and I fear for the season now.

Yep a pretty accurate summary for me.

Don’t get the big deal about the money if it’s who we really want. The manager is more key to the success of a club than any individual player yet you wouldn’t even get a decent PL squad player for 7mil. Most new managerial appointments don’t cost because they are out of work. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Seems a lot of compo for a manager, but £7m gets you a Libor Kozak, so compared to that it’s not so bad. It would be imperative that we get his back room coaches too though. Paying all that compo and only getting Gerrard would not be it. 

Won’t be that  high for Gerrard , doubt that high for him and his staff combined .