The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

13 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

You’d have gone for the backroom staff that we had 11 years ago? Including those that have retired and/or have health issues like Sid. Are you for real? And you say appointing Gerrard would be a backwards step? Sorry I can’t take this seriously.

Think he's saying he doesn't want any of the backroom staff from the post-MON era. i.e. he doesn't want GMac back.

54 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Little worried about the lack of experience with Gerrard and McAllister. If Gerrard had an experienced No2 it would be a little different, but he got McAllister his first job since Villa when he took him to Rangers (if you exclude the few months he was coach at Liverpool). 

Too much of this is the name in lights which can boost Villa's image and the existing relationship between Gerrard and Purslow. Still, on the positive side he's done a great job at Rangers and has over 3 full seasons there. We already have a quality squad and a player with his Gravitas could get the best out of the players we have.

I suspect Danks and MacPhee will stay in place for the remainder of the season at request of Lange. 

Look we're all going to get behind Gerrard, like we did JT who almost everyone hated as a player. 

GMac has lots of experience, he's been coaching or managing since 2002. 

Admittedly, I think he's poor and his time here was awful as Assistant and as Caretaker, I don't want him here again.

But he doesn't lack experience.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, HalfTimePost said:

Admittedly, I think he's poor and his time here was awful as Assistant and as Caretaker, I don't want him here again.

I thought he did really well as caretaker…. Didn’t he? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

he has experience, but hasn’t it been quite off and on since 2002? I might be wrong. Not that it matters though like you say, as he still has a good deal of experience.

4 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I thought he did really well as caretaker…. Didn’t he? 

Ah you know what, I've misremembered, I thought he was McLeish's assistant then took over. He was Houlliers, took over after his heart issue and then left when McLeish joined.

It was a bad few years and lots of managerial changes. Yeah he did alright looking at it now

Edited by HalfTimePost

It looks like it’s happening then…

I still cannot get behind it as I don’t think it’s the right move for him or the club. 

Gerrard will always be sinominus with Liverpool FC and has less managerial experience than Smith and yet to manage in a ‘competitive league’. 

I fear we’ll become the Gerrard circus, with the media more interested in him (and his links to Liverpool) than the club/team. This will be a unwanted distraction

I’d love to be wrong but I cannot see it working out and beginning to lean towards the distinct possibility of relegation this season. 

Best case scenario, he’s a roaring success but even then he’d be off to a bigger club and we’d be back to square one. 

This is only my feelings towards it and not meant to cause umbrage

• Like 2

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

I still cannot get behind it as I don’t think it’s the right move for him or the club. 

Gerrard will always be sinominus with Liverpool FC and has less managerial experience than Smith and yet to manage in a ‘competitive league’. 

I fear we’ll become the Gerrard circus, with the media more interested in him (and his links to Liverpool) than the club/team. This will be a unwanted distraction

I’d love to be wrong but I cannot see it working out and beginning to lean towards the distinct possibility of relegation this season. 

Best case scenario, he’s a roaring success but even then he’d be off to a bigger club and we’d be back to square one. 

If he's a roaring success we're not back to square 1.  We're a big successful club looking for and probably able to attract a top manager (probably with a fat compensation cheque in our back pocket) instead of a club 2 points away from the relegation zone who have just sacked a manager. 

We're a totally different proposition. 

It will also more likely be happening in the Summer when everything is easier. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think this is all true. As fans we’re always bemoaning the fact that we never seem to be able to find a gem such as Poch when he arrived at Southampton. I know SG isn’t unknown, but his abilities as a PL manager are so in that respect he’s unknown. I was amazed when Southampton came up with Poch and thought they were crazy. It turned out that they’d done their research and thought he was worth the risk and it paid off. Whereas my extensive googling, not even that extensive as I didn’t really care about Southampton other than them being relegation rivals, wasn’t quite so good. 

The assumption that as a struggling PL team, that has only been back up for a couple of seasons and seems to have lost momentum,  should be able to chose from an array of managers from top European leagues is just plain daft. Yes we’re a big club with great facilities, a huge fan base and rich ambitious owners, but that’s just shows that we have potential and the reality is our choices are either fairly average managers or take a risk on potential. We seem to have chosen the latter, which I personally feel more excited about than any of the others on the list. 

I think we have a talented squad and there is a lot to work with and are underperforming on the pitch, I don't necessarily think someone like Favre is unrealistic.

Remember that Everton appointed Ancelotti and were actually 18th at the time. Spurs appointing Conte with no CL football for 2 seasons is also a major coup. 

I think Gerrard has potential as a manager but that's just it, potential. The manager needs to come in and lift this team up the table because we can't be embroiled in a relegation battle.

Southampton appointing Poch was one of the shrewdest appointments in the last decade, let's hope ours is too otherwise we'll be back to square one again in a few months.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Still no nearer to understanding this appointment, but I trust those in the game know what they are doing, many would like Gerrard at their club. Can't just be a fashionable thing can it? 

I think there will always be an element of profile now and how the club can raise it. I'm sure success to our owners in terms of trophies is important - but very difficult.  Success in increasing the value of their asset is easier and as moneymen their main aim.  Gerrard is the manager of a club with more global reach than us, has won more than us during his playing days and will no doubt raise our profile if he signs.  

• Like 1

I think being Captain of Liverpool and playing his entire career in the Premier League gives him some experience edge that Dean didn't have. Plus the coaches Gerrard worked under he would have learned from. So there is different experience he has, vs the time Smith spent at Walsall for example

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Interesting insights on how he wants to play but the problem is the whole philosophy was on how to break down teams that parked the bus against them.  Will be interesting to see how he and his coaching team are able to adapt to defending against better teams. I can see us becoming a counter attacking team in time. Something I haven’t got a problem with.

• Like 1

I’m feeling positive with this appointment although potter was my preference - I think smith had to go and am pleased the board acted on him - Gerrard I think certainly will establish us as a top 8 club , maybe more - I hope fans give him a clean slate and get behind him .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Looks like it’s happening.

Disappointed with the pending appointment I hope he proves me wrong.

One thing for sure is that he will command the respect of the dressing room immediately.

I’d be amazed if their wasn’t a new manager bounce. 

Just now, theboyangel said:

Having the spotlight on us last season due to New Jack Citeh wasnt a bad thing. Look how quickly we have been forgotten about by the media. Theres nothing worse than apathy and thats whats happened with us this season. No one can be bothered to actually look at the results in the media to see how bad 2021 has been because with Jack gone the interest has gone. Gerrard will increase our exposure again no doubt. 

In terms of him as manager i am getting more and more positive by the hour the more i read up about him and his set up. Richard Beale seems to be the really good modern coach we so desperately need . His way of setting up seems to mirror our strengths and most importantly a Gerrard team seems to be able to win once it goes behind. Something that Smith managed so rarely in the Premier. 

Bring him on because there are no guarantees if we brought in a more experienced manager that it would be more successful. We would be bringing in a manager with a real will to win and a coach behind him with the ability to get players maximum ability out of them. 

Finally i do not care he is so closely related to Liverpool and all things Scouse. The average length of a premier league managers stay is 2 and something years. If he does leave i think it will he more likely because he has been a success than a failure . 

I know there are no guarantees but i would rather this than see Deano battle through the season when its quite obvious he wasnt able to find a way to turn things around this time.