The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Just now, The_Steve said:

Percy isn't the messiah.

The article is more speculation.

Gerrard is interested, Villa might approach, and expected to be successful. If not, it will be Martinez.

The story really isn't all that

Percy is the only reporter with an actual source at the club.  He only puts his name on speculation articles when he knows them to be true.  He's the only Tier 1 Villa news source.  

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

In terms of targets for the new manager, I hope we take a sensible, patient approach.

That's with two different groups in mind:

1. The fanbase - a new manager shouldn't be expected to perform miracles with the same squad - to some extent it will be more difficult initially as it won't be a squad they've built themselves or that's put together for their preferred style of play.
  2. The board - I've said it before, but if this board are looking for a new manager to push for Europe with this squad, they're setting him up to fail and setting themselves up for a great deal of difficulty.

The squad we have needs significant investment if we're to push for Europe - Purslow has to own that message and front it up to the owners - Everton have spent more than half a billion pounds over the last five years trying to get into the European places and they're nowhere near - it's the most difficult job in football - we've spent hundreds of millions so far, if we're to use that money to get where we want to be, we're going to need to do it again.

For now, for me, the expectations on the new manager are to keep us in the division and to identify and start to repair the gaps in the squad - if he can do that, bring us a bit of balance and a couple of decent results, then he'll be well under way. A run in the FA Cup would be rather lovely too if that's possible.

So why did Smith consistently say a European spot was a realistic target? Was he putting pressure on himself? Or was he told that was the expectation this season?

Just now, KMitch said:

Percy is the only reporter with an actual source at the club.  He only puts his name on speculation articles when he knows them to be true.  He's the only Tier 1 Villa news source.  

Except when he got Leon Bailey wrong. Oh, and Cash's non-existent new contract.

There's no Tier 1 source anymore.

Lange is known for his secrecy.

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

if we havent made an official approach for the manager we want yet, i doubt that person is the manager we want......

I wonder if Gerrard’s team are leaking the interest because he wants the job but maybe we aren’t interested.  

Two fold works for him, he can always say he wasn’t interested if nothing happens and his media mates will believe that and secondly he may get a pay rise from Rangers despite their financial circumstances to ward us off even though they don’t know we have no interest but Gerrard is using as leverage.  

For us, it doesn’t matter, we aren’t interested and don’t really leak to the press and carrying on appointing the right manager instead.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I wonder if Gerrard’s team are leaking the interest because he wants the job but maybe we aren’t interested.  

Two fold works for him, he can always say he wasn’t interested if nothing happens and his media mates will believe that and secondly he may get a pay rise from Rangers despite their financial circumstances to ward us off even though they don’t know we have no interest but Gerrard is using as leverage.  

For us, it doesn’t matter, we aren’t interested and don’t really leak to the press and carrying on appointing the right manager instead.

Maybe hold off on the conspiracy theories and see what happens today.... 

• Like 1

I wonder how patient fans who wanted Smith gone will be with Gerrard.

If he comes, he gets my support and backing to see what he can do. I hope those with high expectations don't contradict themselves now Dean has left. 

3 minutes ago, KMitch said:

He didn’t get a few transfers in the summer. Bailey and especially Ings