The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

12 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

41 years old, in his first manager post has ended a 9 year dominant Celtic with an in invincible season. Loved by fans hated by opposing fans. Solidified their defence and play good attacking football. Small budget decent results in Europa league. 192 games - 124 Wins 42 Draws and 27 defeats. Fella called Stephan Gerd from Frankfurt. We should look at him 

winning becomes a habit....that winners crave for......He's my type of guy.

I don't want the next manager to be my friend or say hello to me in the street.....I want someone to get my club to win games on a consistent level.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, useless said:

Gerrard's name is working against him not for him in this thread, if he was some unknown from somewhere like Denmark and had gone into Rangers and turned them around ending Celtic's dominance, finishing on 102 points last season, the third highest in the history of the Scottish Premier League, whilst playing good football, having a reputation for being good tactically, and getting some impressive results in Europe, people would be a lot more open to the idea.

But because it's Gerrard and people have an hatred of Liverpool, they can't see past that, I also think that there's an element of people unfairly banding him alongside other famous footballers from a similar era that have gone into football management and failed or deemed to have failed.

Agree.  Whilst fans would still be sceptical they wouldn’t be so against it. 

I think the fact he was such a good player is a massive bonus. Players will look up to him. How can you not?

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Sorry I just don't agree with this at all. 

Lack of experience in a decent league, Scottish, Danish, wherever is absolutely a perfectly justifiable, rational and unemotional reason to have doubts about Gerrard. 

Most of the european names mentioned and discussed on here have got good records at good european leagues. 

I agree with the first part but not the second. There are plenty of examples of managers with good records in european leagues that haven’t succeeded in the PL.

You can’t automatically say that they are a better appointment than Gerrard, each have their own pro’s and con’s. There aren’t many dead certs when it comes to managerial appointments.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

41 years old, in his first manager post has ended a 9 year dominant Celtic with an in invincible season. Loved by fans hated by opposing fans. Solidified their defence and play good attacking football. Small budget decent results in Europa league. 192 games - 124 Wins 42 Draws and 27 defeats. Fella called Stephan Gerd from Frankfurt. We should look at him 

Small budget 😂😂😂 jermaine defoe signed from his 60k a week Bournemouth contract 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Gerrard may become a good coach but if he comes to us he will be constantly linked to the Liverpool job which will be incredibly annoying all the time. Either that and he will get sacked within the year and become a pundit with all of his mates. It is a lose-lose situation.

From “John Terry’s Aston Villa”, to Jack Grealish FC to Stevie G FC 🤦‍♂️ FFS
The constant media circus and frenzy is going to be sickening, I’d rather we didn’t live in subservience to Liverpool or any club for that matter.  
Can we get someone who can give us pride and focus on Aston Villa FC please? 

Implement a passing game and make us comfortable on the ball? No hoofball, no long throws?

Appointing Gerrard could be a complete disaster, there really isn’t much to suggest or guarantee that he would do well here. Certainly not an ambitious appointment, very underwhelming in all honesty. He’s managed in a piss poor league with piss poor players, what experience does he have in terms of managing in a competitive league with a high standard or profile of player? The guy almost exclusively relies on his assistant (Beale) and is very much hands off when it comes to coaching. 

Not encouraged at all and very much hope this is all a smokescreen.

Of course, whoever comes in will be backed (what choice do we have?). We had to back Alex f*****g McLeish for crying out loud, those were dark days indeed.

I just hope we know what we are doing and whoever comes in can be a success… but I’m really discouraged right now. I don’t see where this so called ambition is, I’m hoping to be surprised…

• Like 3

Just now, TrentVilla said:

I agree with the first part but not the second. There are plenty of examples of managers with good records in european leagues that haven’t succeeded in the PL.

You can’t automatically say that they are a better appointment than Gerrard, each have their own pro’s and con’s. There aren’t many dead certs when it comes to managerial appointments.

Not that it's what I said at all, but you are right, you can't automatically say they are a better appointment. But the fact that they have done it in the past at a higher level means that there is more evidence that they are a better appointment, and less risk that they are not.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Agree.  Whilst fans would still be sceptical they wouldn’t be so against it. 

I think the fact he was such a good player is a massive bonus. Players will look up to him. How can you not?

People said the same about Roy Keane and Frank Lampard. Didnt turn into good managers 

• Like 1