The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm intrigued and excited by Gerrard. But if he wasn't Steven Gerrard, would we really be going for or getting excited about the manager of rangers? 

If he was someone we hadn't really heard of, and had the same managerial career as Gerrard, I doubt there would be many getting excited about it. 

So whilst I'm intrigued and excited by the prospect, is being Steven Gerrard enough? 

41 years old, in his first manager post has ended a 9 year dominant Celtic with an in invincible season. Loved by fans hated by opposing fans. Solidified their defence and play good attacking football. Small budget decent results in Europa league. 192 games - 124 Wins 42 Draws and 27 defeats. Fella called Stephan Gerd from Frankfurt. We should look at him 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Here's to hoping the Gerrard link is smoke and mirrors and were targeting someone else of a higher calibre with a proven track record because if he's the best we can come up i really will start to question the ambition of the owners and decision making of Purslow.

I thought the whole point of getting rid of Deano was to bring in a manager that will take us to the next level.

Smith loved the club and was our custodian to replace him with the Liverscum travelling circus will be vomit inducing and a straight up middle finger to the man.

What has Gerrard achieved in his limited managerial career thus far to suggest he will be right man for the job.

If Gerrard and Martinez are the only options under consideration we are considering we should have never sacked Deano.

Bang on.

If we're going to achieve anything substantial as a club, we're going to need continuity i.e a manager who isn't going to piss off to a 'better job' when things are going well. We need a manager who will want to stay and build the club long term, which I can't see happening with Gerrard as he would clearly go to Liverpool at the first opportunity.

What we need is someone who will be here for a while, preferably someone with a connection to the club. For that reason, I'd go with Potter if we could get him.

(Or apologise to Smith and give him another chance!)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

41 years old, in his first manager post has ended a 9 year dominant Celtic with an in invincible season. Loved by fans hated by opposing fans. Solidified their defence and play good attacking football. Small budget decent results in Europa league. 192 games - 124 Wins 42 Draws and 27 defeats. Fella called Stephan Gerd from Frankfurt. We should look at him 

You made his point. If he was Stephan Gerd from Frankfurt with that experience he wouldn't be close to being Villa manager.

Edited by NoelVilla
  • Like 2

Just now, DCJonah said:

I can't imagine we would. Is any success in Scotland really that impressive with either club? 

If he wasn't Gerrard, I doubt his name would be linked with so many clubs. 

I guess while it’s not a strong league, he’s managed a big club with big support/expectations etc.

I did always wonder how it effects players playing for a manager/head coach who wasn’t a top player also, especially if you haven’t won trophies in the game? Does it have any effect on the respect the player has for them with certain football matters?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not team Gerrard but I’m coming around to the idea especially if that is who CP wants. I trust the hierarchy as I know you do too.

I'm currently reading comments and info about Gerrard with interest.

I would like to see more discussion about Favre and Fonseca. I've done a fair bit of browsing, but has anyone watched their teams in action? (I'm going to look at the Amazon Dortmund series later).

Potter remains my current pick as a safer known quantity, considering our specific weaknesses, but I'm finding some of the contributions to this thread thought provoking and educational.

39 minutes ago, TRO said:

I know you wasn't sorry for misleading. I just added on What McManaman was spouting....it wasn't aimed at you at all.

I know your position Trent and its one, I am comfortable with.

sorry for giving the wrong impression.

No apology needed mate.

I’ve just started to try and clarify my stance on things as when quoted and the discussion takes a tangent I then get people thinking my stance is something different.

Can’t say I’ve heard McManaman’s comments but to be honest he just isn’t someone I pay any attention to, he is an irrelevance.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm intrigued and excited by Gerrard. But if he wasn't Steven Gerrard, would we really be going for or getting excited about the manager of rangers? 

If he was someone we hadn't really heard of, and had the same managerial career as Gerrard, I doubt there would be many getting excited about it. 

So whilst I'm intrigued and excited by the prospect, is being Steven Gerrard enough? 

that could be said of Kenny Dalgleish, when he went to Blackburn, or Kevin Keegan to Newcastle.

The profile of the man, can play a huge part.....but i grant you, its not the be all and end all.

I personally am more taken, by Gerrards persona....I think its great liking your manager, but a bit of fear factor has to be present also to focus the mind on the collective objective.

8 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I dunno, in his LMA statement he says that only now would he have got his best players fit and that he thought he would have achieved a top half finish. I think he coudl have done it too to be honest.

I don't....I think it was his defence mechanism, that we would all use.

which players was he refering to, that was going to make the difference from championship form, to top half finish?