The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

13 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think managers and teams needs to constantly evolve and adapt. This didn't happen are Villa with Smith, we were the same all the time and opposing teams learned how to handle it. Very similar to Blades under Wilder, he was lauded for playing overlapping fullbacks and did very well in his 1st season up. But he wasn't able to move on from there and he was found out. I think we are similar and we also had Jack to skew our overall performances. I think the fact that we were dire at coming from behind supports this as it showed Dean wasn't able to adapt and turn things around. 

I don't think that's consistent with what happened, though. For a start, Smith played quite a few different ways in his time here - 4-3-3, 4-1-4-1, 4-2-3-1, and 3-5-2 - and picked up some decent results with all of them.

In my view, besides the availability of Grealish and his replacements, there are two major explanations for what went wrong this season:

1. Matt Targett's terrible form this season, and our lack of cover at full back.
  2. Douglas Luiz not being fully fit / available half the season, so we had no out ball through midfield, and went long every time.

The left back issue is something the new manager will have to deal with. It's not going away. Teams are going to keep targeting us down our left.

3 hours ago, Rossco76 said:

Just realised, there's a four-part series on Dortmund from 2019 on Amazon Prime and Favre is the manager, just getting into it now.

Just started it myself. Make sure you click the 2019 version when searching. The 2018 is dubbed horribly. I was about to give up on it after 5 minutes before realising there's a German language version. 

FWIW his managerial achievements are nothing. 1 trophy in 3 seasons and his main rival was Neil Lennon sacked by Bolton. Celtic also sold all there star players or they wanted out

Potentially a chequebook manager as had the biggest budget in Scotland and won one trophy

European record is uninspiring losing to Malmö and Slavia

Gary Mac was also a problem last time at Villa falling out with players 

Reminds me of the last Liverpool captain that managed Rangers with a blank chequebook. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No. I dont like the man personally same as i didn't like Martin O Neill or John Terry. He would need to do a lot to win me around

So you would effectively no longer support the club then, for the duration of Steven Gerrard being manager.

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He might leave us in a better position than when he arrived. 

Or we might get relegated with him as the step up in standards is too much for him and his methods don’t translate well to the premier league.

23 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I agree. We have to make an appointment in line with our aims, if we sacked Smith through fear of relegation we need to appoint someone appropriate to deal with that. If we sacked him because they believe he can’t get them to where they want the club to be they need to appoint someone of that calibre or capable of getting to that level.

He was sacked for his results record over a calendar year....The narrative that the pundits are claiming the 5 losing run, is just a part of it.

I think Purslow, is being hung out to dry, for this and its wrong.....Pundits with a Liverpool connection, probably still have an axe to grind with him.

would they stay with a manager with that record......NO they wouldn't, but its ok for Aston Villa.....cheeky so and so's.

• Like 2

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

Or we might get relegated with him as the step up in standards is too much for him and his methods don’t translate well to the premier league.

Of course. That goes for every manager. I assumed the question was specifically about Gerrard. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

That is just a normal part of football. Managers come and go.

It might be a normal part of football management but I dont it is a normal part of football management for a top 6 club.Managers comming and going is all part of managing a mid table to bottom of the table club.We would be better off with a manager that (if ) he does well will want to stay and not go and manager a club he played for,eg Liverpool

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No. I dont like the man personally same as i didn't like Martin O Neill or John Terry. He would need to do a lot to win me around

Going by your posts against the guy, he could win the champions league 3 years in a row and you'll still find something to slag him off about.

Personally, I don't what the big deal is.

It's not like he's in the similar bracket of Adam Johnson.

So what if he's done a few horror tackles in the game and had a bust up at a wedding? No one's died have they?

No offence, but I just find your obsession against the guy quite cringing if I'm being honest.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

He was sacked for his results record over a calendar year....The narrative that the pundits are claiming the 5 losing run, is just a part of it.

I think Purslow, is being hung out to dry, for this and its wrong.....Pundits with a Liverpool connection, probably still have an axe to grind with him.

would they stay with a manager with that record......NO they wouldn't, but its ok for Aston Villa.....cheeky so and so's.

I know but that wasn’t the point I was making

• Like 1

Gerrard’s Rangers have been the SPL’s biggest spenders every year he’s been the there.

I’m sorry but beating a depleted Celtic team who’ve lost Tierney, Edouard, Ajer., Frimpong, etc. over the years whilst considerably outspending the rest of the league just isn’t impressive.

Anyone here honestly think Smith couldn’t win the SPL on the biggest budget? 

I was calling for Smith’s exit in the emotions after the Southampton game - but if it’s to bring Gerrard in, then that’s thoroughly underwhelming. Would’ve kept Dean 100 times out of 100.

The sickening Liverpool love-in. The short-term aspect of the appointment (he’s either shit or good and goes to Liverpool). He’s completely unproven as a manager.

This move would underline the board’s complete lack of direction/idea (which accompanies their activity in this summer’s transfer window tbh).

Aren’t we supposed to want to be challenging for Europe? Spurs are in the ECL and bring in Conte, we’re looking at Stevie G. Depressing.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

If we’re in Europe we’re miles off square one. Plus, 10x more attractive than when Gerrard joined 

totally that's not the risk, the risk is we are back in the championship and he **** off to tranmere to try and save his career.

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Going by your posts against the guy, he could win the champions league 3 years in a row and you'll still find something to slag him off about.

Personally, I don't what the big deal is.

It's not like he's in the similar bracket of Adam Johnson.

So what if he's done a few horror tackles in the game and had a bust up at a wedding? No one's died have they?

No offence, but I just find your obsession against the guy quite cringing if I'm being honest.

And if he gets us relegated in May as he is under qualified? Guy lost a title to Neil Lennon 😂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Newsflash: all clubs will look for a new manager and new players at some point.

Ok.I will try and simply my answer for you.Lets say you have the chance of hiring Gerrard or Lampard ( I am not saying hire Lampard,only using his name to explain a point ) If you hitr Gerrard he would go to Liverpool at the first chance he got.If you hire Lampard,he wouldent go to Liverpool because he has already been there .

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

I know but that wasn’t the point I was making

I know you wasn't sorry for misleading. I just added on What McManaman was spouting....it wasn't aimed at you at all.

I know your position Trent and its one, I am comfortable with.

sorry for giving the wrong impression.

• Like 1

Just now, PussEKatt said:

Ok.I will try and simply my answer for you.Lets say you have the chance of hiring Gerrard or Lampard ( I am not saying hire Lampard,only using his name to explain a point ) If you hitr Gerrard he would go to Liverpool at the first chance he got.If you hire Lampard,he wouldent go to Liverpool because he has already been there .

Yes, but in order to be employable for Liverpool, he would have had to have done a remarkable job at Aston Villa. If Lampard, or Smith or any other manager, did a job worthy enough of managing a top 4 team, they'd all be inundated with offers and you **** off in a flash.