The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

30 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

The truth is, no way would Gerrard go to Wolves or Southampton (or probably West Ham). I think that people are underestimating his status in the game. He has never failed at anything.

That’s another point, all the youth players will want to sign for Villa because growing up for them Gerrard was iconic. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Yeah I agree. I have long given up trying to predict who would be a good managerial appointment over the years. I remember Southampton were mad to bring in some unknown Argentinian manager after they sacked Adkins who got them promoted and had sealed their relegation, I recall thinking Leicester were also certain for relegation after hiring an Italian journeyman who had failed during his management of Greece at international level, I recall reading Moyes was a busted flush after failed stints at Man Utd and in Spain.

I think sometimes as fans we tend to concentrate on the fails rather than the successes when we view potential managerial candidates so we only see the potential pit falls. 

I personally have no idea anymore who would be a good manager for us, all I know is there are no guarantees of success or failure. Sometimes someone is just a good fit at that moment in time at that certain club.

This is the first real proper test of the NSWE ownership, they haven't let us down in the past, lets hope they do a good job this time and get behind whoever they put in charge.

Yep, and many would literally cream their pants at the prospect of Mourinho despite flopping in his last several appointments. 

There is no telling why managers succeed and fail. 

38 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Why is he a piece of shit? Just curious.

Leg breaking tackles(its not hard its cowardly) his DJ incident for a start. Abusing team mates by calling them pathetic 

Not to mention constantly throwing his Rangers players under the bus 

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

If we’re in Europe we’re miles off square one. Plus, 10x more attractive than when Gerrard joined 

I meant we are back at square 1,as in having to look for a manager again.

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Yep, and many would literally cream their pants at the prospect of Mourinho despite flopping in his last several appointments. 

There is no telling why managers succeed and fail. 

Epic use of the word "literally" there. 

• Haha 1

With the rumours about the potential appointment of Gerrard gathering momentum, I asked some friends I know with a better knowledge of Scottish football than me for their opinions of him.

I'm in a Madden league with two Rangers fans and an Aberdeen fan. Here is what they thought:

Aberdeen Fan:

He was fortunate that Celtic imploded when they did and won the Covid asterik season. He's done a decent job with them overall.

Rangers Fan 1:

He's not a tactical genius, but I'd imagine he's a good motivator based on how he conducts himself. His name could help you attract players as that's what has happened here.

Rangers Fan 2:

He's been here 3 years and I still don't know if he's that good or not. What I would say is that Rangers have progressed every year under him (until this season, but last year's unbeaten season and 100+ points set the bar high). He has a good European record, especially at home (again, until this season) Things I don't like about him is that he can be slow to make subs or change tactically and that I think he is overly loyal to players who could do with getting dropped from time to time.

It's just some opinions from random fans, but they've watched a lot more Scottish football than I do.

26 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Genuine question: If he achieves a top 8 finish with us this season, will you change your tune and support him?

No. I dont like the man personally same as i didn't like Martin O Neill or John Terry. He would need to do a lot to win me around

Just now, Zatman said:

Leg breaking tackles(its not hard its cowardly) his DJ incident for a start. Abusing team mates by calling them pathetic 

Not to mention constantly throwing his Rangers players under the bus 

Yup.

I can see a massive turnover of players if Stevie G arrives.

11 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Gerrard comming here would be a big mistake IMHO for the following reasons.

1 - Leading Rangers to the title is a lot different to keeping a team in the PL ( dont even mention the top 6 places )

2 - What if he takes over and gets us into europe and Klop leaves and Liverpool need a new manager,we are back to square 1

How is that back to square 1? We'll be a top 6 club able to cherry pick from some of the best managers in the world.

Also, the average tenure for a Premier League manage is just 2 years anyway.

If Ranger's players work as hard as Scottish supporters are indicating then that would be a real (SG) plus.

Our fitness and energy has become woeful over the last few months. A 90 minute concerted midfield press after a few weeks of real hurt on the training pitch would improve us considerably.