The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I see this from time to time.

Why? I can see literally zero reason to have any thoughts about him other than complete contempt, let alone loving him.

It's like those people robbed of their life savings by a con man yet still convinced he's basically all above board and basically a nice guy even though he's completely disappeared with their money.

Must have been due to entertainment and " pashun " mate. Dunno.

My key requirements for Villa this season are 1) safety, 2) progression due to better coaching, tactics and fitness. For that reason Potter would be my number one pick. 

I'm not against a number of other suggested candidates though, and will support whoever is appointed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m struggling to understand how it got so bad in 2021 for Smith after such a great start. It can’t all be down to Grealish surely?  Are our players just shit but over achieved for 2-3 months?

Signs we're there early Kelly leaves on eve off the season along with Terry , just didn't seem right internally . Don't think we recruited enough also to further improve.

Let me say through players need to have a good look at themselves to school boy mistakes week after week and the lack of intensity in games .

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ozvilla28 said:

Signs we're there early Kelly leaves on eve off the season along with Terry , just didn't seem right internally . Don't think we recruited enough also to further improve.

Let me say through players need to have a good look at themselves to school boy mistakes week after week and the lack of intensity in games .

We have a bunch of players but not  a system

Last season we had a settled XI until he shall not be named had his annual 2 month break and we regressed.

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Dark day if we do announce Gerrard. I even gave Steve Bruce a chance evem though I disliked him but definitely not this piece of shit.

Championship here we come 

Not impressed with him losing in Europe to Slavia Prag(last year) and Malmö in CL this year? 😉

If the aim is to step up to the next level, you wouldn't hire a young manager whose only success is winning the SPL with a Glasgow club. You'd go get someone that's done it at the level you want to be at, or at least shown they've got the ability to make a side below that level perform above what it really should be.

If we appoint Gerrard we've made a terrible error in judgement, and rolling the dice hoping it comes up trump's rather than trying to load those dice as much as we can in our favour.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Dark day if we do announce Gerrard. I even gave Steve Bruce a chance evem though I disliked him but definitely not this piece of shit.

Championship here we come 

Why is he a piece of shit? Just curious.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Pep Guardiola had won the CL, La Liga twice, Copa del Rey once, Supacopa, UEFA Supercup and the club world cup within his first 3 years of management. 

If he's good enough, he's good enough. 

Would Spurs, Leicester, Everton, Arsenal, Wolves, Southampton, Liverpool, Manutd, Mancity, Chelsea West ham employ Gerard as manager currently if they need a manager?

The answe is NO.  So why would we?  Time to stop taking punts and pay for a manager who has done it at the top!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

Would Spurs, Leicester, Everton, Arsenal, Wolves, Southampton, Liverpool, Manutd, Mancity, Chelsea West ham employ Gerard as manager currently if they need a manager?

The answe is NO.  So why would we?  Time to stop taking punts and pay for a manager who has done it at the top!

Everton, Arsenal, Wolves, West Ham and Southampton would for sure.

The more I think about it, the more comfortable I become with the prospect of Gerrard.

For starters, our current group of players seem to be rock bottom in terms of confidence. Just look at the Targett interview after the Southampton match and it’s so clear to see. These players need a kick up the back side, but also someone who demands their respect and who can help get that belief back. I think Gerrard brings this, whereas I think a lot of these other names thrown around like Favre, Fonseca, etc. wouldn’t really form the connection needed with the players. 

I also believe he will be more motivated to succeed than a lot of the other candidates. There’s no doubt he wants to forge a long term managerial career in England and of course eventually land at Liverpool. As others have alluded to,  the only way that happens is if he is successful at Villa. The other managers out there will indeed want to win, but they likely don’t have as much at stake. If they fail, they’ll just move onto another job in Europe. 

The main condition of bringing him on is that we need to allow him to bring on his own coaching team. I’m not sure about the rumors that some of the new hires this year were forced on Smith, but if that was the case, we need to scrap that. His assistant Michael Beale is very highly rated and largely regarded as the brains behind the operation. 

As a side note, as a Hearts supporter, I’m okay if this goes through as it may open the door to the title for Hearts with a destabilized Rangers. 😉

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

If the aim is to step up to the next level, you wouldn't hire a young manager whose only success is winning the SPL with a Glasgow club. You'd go get someone that's done it at the level you want to be at, or at least shown they've got the ability to make a side below that level perform above what it really should be.

If we appoint Gerrard we've made a terrible error in judgement, and rolling the dice hoping it comes up trump's rather than trying to load those dice as much as we can in our favour.

I think if we do appoint Gerrard we are also confirming that our ambitions have changed. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Whoever we get in is a risky appointment.  That's the nature of the beast.

For some reason, it's exciting to bring in young players who have done well elsewhere (Bailey) but the same excitement doesn't seem to exist with young managers who have done well (Gerrard) unless they're already at big clubs.  Quite strange, no?

The board will identify whoever they think is best suited to the role.  Whoever that is we will get behind and I don't really think it matters whether they have PL experience or have been a manager since 2000.

Yeah I agree. I have long given up trying to predict who would be a good managerial appointment over the years. I remember Southampton were mad to bring in some unknown Argentinian manager after they sacked Adkins who got them promoted and had sealed their relegation, I recall thinking Leicester were also certain for relegation after hiring an Italian journeyman who had failed during his management of Greece at international level, I recall reading Moyes was a busted flush after failed stints at Man Utd and in Spain.

I think sometimes as fans we tend to concentrate on the fails rather than the successes when we view potential managerial candidates so we only see the potential pit falls. 

I personally have no idea anymore who would be a good manager for us, all I know is there are no guarantees of success or failure. Sometimes someone is just a good fit at that moment in time at that certain club.

This is the first real proper test of the NSWE ownership, they haven't let us down in the past, lets hope they do a good job this time and get behind whoever they put in charge.

• Like 4

Just now, Reivax_Villa said:

So now we are comparing Gerrard to Pep?

Steven Gerrard will not take us to where we want to get to. 

18 months time he will be off to Liverpool once Klopp takes a Sabbatical..

Do you really think if Gerrard can’t be successful here he’s going to walk into a Liverpool job to challenge for the league and champions league? 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

Not a hope would Everton or Arsenal and would be very debatable if other 3 would.

The truth is, no way would Gerrard go to Wolves or Southampton (or probably West Ham). I think that people are underestimating his status in the game. He has never failed at anything.