The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Elaborate, please. Change my mind.

Well I mean if we go pick up someone like Bissouma (less rapey version) in Jan and maybe swap the likes of Target for Rico Henry, and Steeeeeevie G has us playing on the front foot, and Mings stops the brain farts - we all might be ok with the manager change. Unfortunately that's a lot of IFs, and dependent on player recruitment. I'm not wholly convinced Smith couldn't also achieve similar with the same squad - just trying to find a way to live with what is looking like an ominous event.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

He spent almost entirely his career at Liverpool which is the one of the biggest teams in England. It would be been impossible not to win things. He never won the league though.

Ok he has won the league in a 2 team league but his opponent was Neil Lennon who was a failure when he went down south to manage Bolton.

If only Gerrard had played for a crap club and won nothing. During his time as a player he learnt the art of winning. That’s a valuable skill and can only be learnt in a winning environment. It’s something we desperately need at Villa Park. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Well I mean if we go pick up someone like Bissouma (less rapey version) in Jan and maybe swap the likes of Target for Rico Henry, and Steeeeeevie G has us playing on the front foot, and Mings stops the brain farts - we all might be ok with the manager change. Unfortunately that's a lot of IFs, and dependent on player recruitment. I'm not wholly convinced Smith couldn't also achieve similar with the same squad - just trying to find a way to live with what is looking like an ominous event.

Fair play, understandable, but there are a few genuinely decent candidates out there. Of which Gerrard may turn out to be one, I don’t know, no-one does. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I wouldn't say Gerrard is getting the job because Purslow is one of his besties.

If he had done nothing at his current club then he wouldn't even be considered.

He is being hired on what he has shown he is capable of.

The fact he gets on with Purslow is a bonus and will bode well in us moving forward as a club.

Sorry, I know you really like Gerrard and maybe ITK but your comment is laughable mate.  

If you think Gerrard has shown enough to warrant consideration for our manager job then I don’t know how to debate with you.  

If he is being truly considered it’s only because he’s besties with Purslow because he would never be seriously considered otherwise.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Eh? Did you make up an argument in your head and then try and counter it? That’s not in the same postcode as what I said.

Sorry I thought the point you was making was that any new manager would struggle to put a good midfield together to win. My bad.

Asking me what midfield I thought Gerrard would field to win seemed an odd question.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Just now, DaveAV1 said:

If only Gerrard had played for a crap club and won nothing. During his time as a player he learnt the art of winning. That’s a valuable skill and can only be learnt in a winning environment. It’s something we desperately need at Villa Park. 

Is it not just playing better than your opponents and scoring at least one or possibly more goals than them?

Winning is not a skill. It’s the outcome of a process, as unsexy as that sounds. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Keyblade said:

We were also in the Championship. Brentford were hardly a Rangers were they? The Smith signing would be akin to signing Potter, who also hasn't achieved anything but has a track record for playing good football and decent enough results in the league we're currently competing in.

The point was people weren’t bothered about a lack of achievements by Smith but are seemingly about Gerrrard. It isn’t about the clubs they are at or where we are, it appears that it is more about if people like the manager.

• Like 1

Regardless of who comes in, I just hope they can adopt an attractive and effective way of playing.

Someone who is not scared to drop big names and gives the youth a chance.

Finally, someone who plays formations suited to the players we have and not shoe-horning players into positions that do not suit them.

Also, I would personally like someone who has top league experience. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sorry I thought the point you was making was that any new manager would struggle to put a good midfield together to win. My bad.

Asking me what midfield I thought Gerrard would field to win seemed an odd question.

What has any of that got to do with 18 games we lost last year with a different midfield? You’ve lost me entirely.

13 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Are you seriously advocating us to offer the job to Gerrard because of the rare probability that he'll be extremely successful at Leeds, if they offered him the job instead of us, based on nothing other than the opinion that it would be "a very Villa thing to do?"

I think you may have missed the point. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

Rangers have had one league defeat in well over fifty games now where they just strangle the opposition with constant pressing. They do that in Europe too. This year hasn’t been quite so good but Benfica, Porto amongst others couldn’t get better of them.

Well that bodes well, we're something like next to last for ground covered this season. Thanks for the info.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Lol let’s start again.  I think when everyone is fit Gerrard would play a 3 in midfield of Mcginn Sanson and Luiz.

one plus about gerrard. gives the likes of sanson a fresh start

It could be argued that SG is a comparable level to Deano and maybe his winning mentality could see us improve, it's a gamble, it's sideways, it's a bit better then Bruce/Big Sam, we've tried it all before, we haven't tried proven, top league top 6, champions League experience. If we are letting Deano go because it's not matching up to the owners ambition, then surely we must be aiming higher then SG.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

The point was people weren’t bothered about a lack of achievements by Smith but are seemingly about Gerrrard. It isn’t about the clubs they are at or where we are, it appears that it is more about if people like the manager.

Not sure about others but for me, there's not much evidence Gerrard would be better for us than Smith.

The evidence that Smith would clearly have been better than Bruce was obvious. They'd outplayed us every time we met, Bruce was Bruce etc.

If Gerrard comes with his chosen coaches, especially Beale, I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. Hopefully there can be an agreement on staffing because because if he brings his whole backroom team, it does make our plan of head coach with a load of fixed backroom staff pointless.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

I am a St.Mirren fan, SJM fan, who dislikes Rangers immensely but I think Gerrard and his back room team would be exciting appointments for Villa. I know we are considered a pub league, but Rangers have had one league defeat in well over fifty games now where they just strangle the opposition with constant pressing. They do that in Europe too. This year hasn’t been quite so good but Benfica, Porto amongst others couldn’t get better of them. Managerial appointments are always a risk but a Gerrard, McAllister, Beale team, in my opinion, will transform Villa. He would probably also bring Ryan Kent at some stage and Villa are crying out for a player like this. I hope he comes for 2 reasons. Firstly, I think Villa will start flying and secondly, the spirit of that Rangers team will go. 

Thanks for the comments and you make some interesting points.

You probably know more about the technical aspects of Gerrard's system, philosophy and Rangers overall. If he can bring the same energy to Villa then I'm all for it.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Lol let’s start again.  I think when everyone is fit Gerrard would play a 3 in midfield of Mcginn Sanson and Luiz.

Right, ok. 
So firstly we’ve all said our piece regarding Smith, so as of right now let’s draw a line under that. New era etc.

The question now is who is the best appointment to sort out midfield, and how the hell will they do it. I think the midfield balance has to change, but even before that the key is getting the players you mentioned fit and firing. 

In the medium term (until Jan) I think we have to look at formation. Three in midfield will be tricky. I don’t think anyone could come in and get success with that, so we’d be looking at someone who can adapt to the short term, not necessarily playing the system they want to implement in the long term. This is going to require a really adept tactician, AND a great motivator. And then in February, after we make changes we can see what they are about. 
Would Gerrard fit those criteria, and would the fans give him time to do it? I have no idea, and the data available does not help, but my gut says let’s go for an experienced pro.