The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

31 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

@Zatman

Sorry, this is off topic but I don't know where to post it. Do Villa fans in Dublin ever meet up for games?

i thought you were going to recommend me as manager :P  

Yes they do, I dont live there anymore but send me a PM and I can give you the info

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I know it won’t be hassenhuttl that's for sure  - fact ! but why bother - if Gerrard wants the job it’s his as you will see - and it is clearly believed he wants the job.

You've led the line perfectly on this so far @Eastie, Hats off to you mate.

I've just came across this which I find interesting.

Chris Sutton predicts Rangers will lose Steven Gerrard if Aston Villa approach as cash losses and Purslow dots joined

Former Celtic striker Sutton had his say on the fresh link and believes Gerrard would be happy to make the jump.

Celtic legend Chris Sutton insists Steven Gerrard is coming to the end of his Rangers "shelf life".

And he believes all the signs are pointing to him accepting any advances from Aston Villa if they come calling after disposing of Dean Smith.

The boss that got Villa promoted to the Premier League was sacked at the weekend after losing to Southampton and with the club sitting 16th they need a new boss to avoid a relegation scrap and instead begin a push for Europe.

Gerrard was immediately installed as the bookies' favourite with the Scottish Premiership winner's stock high after an unbeaten title win and impressive European campaigns throughout his tenure in Glasgow.

Sutton pointed to Villa chief Christian Purslow's relationship with Gerrard and current Ibrox assistant Gary McAllister's previous spell at Villa Park.

And he believes Gerrard is coming to the natural conclusion of his time at Rangers.

Speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live's Monday Night Club, he said: "If you're asking me if he was offered the job, would he take it? I think he would.

"Christian Purslow, would Steven Gerrard have been at Liverpool when Purslow was there?

"He's done a really excellent job at Rangers, stopping Celtic winning 10 In A Row. A huge, huge deal.

"Rangers posted enormous losses just a few days ago. I just wonder...

"He's been up there a long time now, three years. I think he's done exceptionally well in Europe, if you look at his team last season I don't think is as good this season.

"Eventually Steven Gerrard will come down south and of course the talk is he'll end up at Liverpool. There needs to be .. I don't want to call Aston Villa a stepping stone because they're an enormous club, but he needs to learn his trade at a club like Aston Villa.

"Gary McAllister had time there under Gerard Houllier so there's a link there.

"I think, in truth, you manage Celtic, you manage Rangers, and it has a shelf life.

"I just wonder if Steven Gerrard has come to the end of his shelf life. If he's offered the job, I'm pretty sure he'd take it."

Gerrard to Villa?

Just now, Lord Willard said:

I'd take Hassenhuttl.

His transfer budget at Saints is criminal.

This tells me he lacks ambition then. If he's willing to sit at Southampton middling for eternity with no chance of achieving anything then steer clear imo. 

12 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If people really want me to believe Gerrard would absolutely be a failure, they kinda have to demonstrate what it is that makes him a bad coach. So far, nobody has been able to do that. 

Winning the title in the Sottish Prem when a poor Celtic team are the only challengers is no proof you can do it in the English Prem, especially with a team like ours.

He would be a huge risk.

1 minute ago, RicRic said:

Why are some of us getting excited over a manager thats been annihilated 9-0 TWICE!! over the last season and a half 🤯 I Dont want managers with that on their CV at villa park 😤 and everyone needs to acknowledge this 

No Hassenhult ❌

Klopp has been beaten 7-2...

Hassenhuttl is a good coach with a good footballing philosophy and has done well with his resources at Southampton, good job at RB Leipzig too.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

If people really want me to believe Gerrard would absolutely be a failure, they kinda have to demonstrate what it is that makes him a bad coach. So far, nobody has been able to do that. 

I’m not saying he would be bad but is inexperienced, and importantly the experience he does have is not in English football - at any level. 

If he gets the job I’ll be very suspicious that it is in large part based on his relationship with Purslow and his influence over the owners - who wouldn’t know Stevie Gee from Bruce Lee. 

As others have said, Villa have pulled the trigger on Deano earlier than they needed to. I’d personally be happy with Potter if we could get him based on his experience and similar traits as a man (humility, proven ability, progressive playing style), but to ditch Deano for Gerrard makes no sense to me. How is he better? 

• Like 2

These are all good answers and I understand the 'inexperienced' tag, but I am looking for somebody who is putting their neck on the block in saying Gerrard WILL be a terrible coach to explain to me what evidence they have for that? All I see is success. 

I'm not advocating for him or suggesting it will definitely transfer, I just don't understand the visceral reaction. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

These are all good answers and I understand the 'inexperienced' tag, but I am looking for somebody who is putting their neck on the block in saying Gerrard WILL be a terrible coach to explain to me what evidence they have for that? All I see is success. 

I'm not advocating for him or suggesting it will definitely transfer, I just don't understand the visceral reaction. 

Won only 1 trophy out of a possible 9 in 3 years in Scotland, it may have been the biggest possible one in stopping the 10 in a row but was aided by a car crash of a season from Lennon's Celtic. 

He did get Rangers fit and organised but when things were going wrong in his first 2 seasons he'd throw players under the bus regularly, if this happens at Villa where we lose more often it could create a toxic atmosphere. He has a poor record of bringing through academy players too, only really 1 gets game time there and it is there backup right back.

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I don't see what precursor points to him being a coach of PL level. He is dominating a league that is honestly the standard of league 1. This is our progressive hire, the manager to challenge for the European places. I'm not convinced at all. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Well if there was evidence (how can there be - so many variables) he wouldn't be in the running.

But really we should be aiming higher than appointing a guy because there is no proof he is a bad coach.

There's no proof Terry is a bad coach either. 

3 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I don't see what precursor points to him being a coach of PL level. He is dominating a league that is honestly the standard of league 1. This is our progressive hire, the manager to challenge for the European places. I'm not convinced at all. 

To be fair Dean Smith had merely taken Brentford to the heady heights of 9th in the Championship when we appointed him. 

That's not even a knock on Dean Smith, it just is. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

Well, just by the straw poll on these boards, if that's anything to go by, Gerrard would be under unbelievable pressure from the off, as few seem inclined to agree this would in any way be a step up from DS. Kind of like a Nuno to Spurs move.