The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Look at Sir Alex’ honours before United. I’m sure that would have bought him a lot more time. He’d won the European cup with Aberdeen. And plenty other trophies 

European Cup Winners Cup. Sensational! Agreed, but 3 years of misery + excuses (as per one banner) at United. It's a pointless argument now, but I really don't want a new manager bounce before tailing off into mediocrity and another round of sackings. This has to be a new era with different expectations, as per Chelsea's Lampard to Tuchel. Otherwise, why bother.

3 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Danny Murphy is a complete Representative for Wellingborough. Sorry for stating the obvious. 

I will say this, whoever the owners appoint will give us a very big indication on there intentions going forward.

Murphy got rattled straight away there as soon as the caller said Mr Anti Villa. Correct though. He goes on like Gerrard would walk into a CL team in the next couple of seasons. Ta rah silly bollox

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I think this needs context, I think the general consensus is that he should’ve got the job full time first time at the time and it was silly he didn’t.  The board made the wrong decision.  It was more of a surprise they went back for him.  But at the end of the first term even at 29% win ratio, people thought he should’ve got the job, me included.

never the less, it could have back fired.....hindsight is an exact science....hence my referrence to a gamble ,most thing are in football.

Igor Tudor has had an incredible start at Verona after they he got the job after they lost the first 3 games. Since he came in he has beaten Roma, Juventus and Lazio and taken point off Napoli and nearly beating Milan. 

Shows good managers are available and was a fine defensive midfielder in his day as that might impress some

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

when Roberto Martinez was in club management, he had a remarkable knack of convincing me that his defeated team, played well...surely an impressive saleseman.

Like Sean Dyche. Speaks so much and for so long it doesn't really matter what the original question was. You just want it to stop.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dukes said:

We've lost more Premier League games in 2021 than anyone else.

Our form before the first lockdown was woeful, and many were calling for change then. Yes, we had a good first half of last season, but let me repeat we've lost 18 league games in 2021.

I understand that taken on it's own the 5 losses on the bounce don't seem like reason enough to sack him, but look at t he results throughout his tenure in the Premier League and given the money spent it's just not good enough.

I would liken it to when Ron Atkinson got sacked in 1994, which happened at a similar period in the season having won the league cup the season before (after which his players seemed to have their minds elsewhere) and had finished 2nd in the league the season before that.

Have already talked about context of the 7 losses and contributing factors this season (inconsistent teams due to absenses, no best xi starting, in form teams towards top of table, results broadly in line with fan pre game expectations) but maybe worth a few points about the other 11 losses in 2021:

• 8 of these defeats were to sides that qualified for Europe last season, 5 of these were against sides that qualified for CL
  • Not much split between home and away (5 to 6), but all three defeats to non-Euro teams were away from home
  • Palace defeat was joint most changes to a starting line up from the previous game (4, equal with Burnley 0-0 draw at home). Cash, Mings, Barkley and Grealish were missing from arguably our best XI for that season.
  • Sheff Utd defeat was also missing 4 "best XI" players, in Cash, Luiz, Barkley and Grealish
  • 7 of the 11 defeats were without Grealish
  • 6 of the 11 defeats were without Barkley
  • Burnley defeat was with our full "best XI" and result arguably did not reflect the game, xg would've suggested likely result of game to be something like a 3-1 villa win.
Edited by tomsky_11

If were after a Young manager ......what about our very own - Ashley Young ?

Won every honour in the game. Well respected, got an eye for a player and likes to play attacking football.  

Can't believe hes not been suggested. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Igor Tudor has had an incredible start at Verona after they he got the job after they lost the first 3 games. Since he came in he has beaten Roma, Juventus and Lazio and taken point off Napoli and nearly beating Milan. 

Shows good managers are available and was a fine defensive midfielder in his day as that might impress some

What was he like in his previous roles? You can't judge anyone over such a short period.

Just now, AvonVillain said:

Like Sean Dyche. Speaks so much and for so long it doesn't really matter what the original question was. You just want it to stop.

I am very much influenced by win ratio's......and Sean's is pretty low, but his positivity and effervescence, does impress me....He is a driver.

To stay in this league with his budget, is a minor miracle and to think Westwood and Lowton, 2 of our rejects, he has made a fist of things...and so have they.

Sean has a way, and it does have smacks of West Ham's attributes.......but I wouldn't be suicidal, if he took the job.

I think he knows what type of players should be where and what they have to do, part of the battle.

would i want to be in the trenches with sean.....sure.

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

What was he like in his previous roles? You can't judge anyone over such a short period.

He was on Pirlo coaching staff last season and before has managed in Croatia and Turkey i think. Seems to have worked for some trigger happy owners