Match Thread: Arsenal v Villa

limpid

Our defence had conceded 3 in 4 games, why expect any different? 

Are we missing Terry and O'Kelly coaching our defence? 

Does Deano think we'd be even worse playing a back four without having Grealish to carry us up the pitch and holding on to the ball? 

Why did Mings duck under the corner they scored from? 

Why did all 3 of Mings, McGinn and Watkins all make silly challenges after being booked? 

Why didn't Deano change it after 20 minutes where it looked inevitable that we would concede and were so desperately poor? 

How the **** was the pen given? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

That’s true and I defend that statement but this 45 mins was dogshit!  

No, it was the flies that love dogshit, eating the shit and then shitting themselves.

This is the point. It was so bad and Smith did nothing. He just watched it unfold. Unforgivable 

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

That’s true and I defend that statement but this 45 mins was dogshit!  

No, it was the flies that love dogshit, eating the shit and then shitting themselves.

Think you an dc better keep off the reactions thread tonight if this gets any worse. You guys can be a bit sensitive 🥺 

• Like 1

I cannot say enough how much I hate this formation. Just watch back that first half when you get a chance, and focus on the rare moments when we actually had the ball: there are no passes on. Nobody is available. Mings steps forward a few yards out of defence, there's three marked midfielders, two marked strikers, and two wing backs behind him, so he passes along the line. Along the line it goes a couple of times, Arsenal press because of course they do they're at home and they're up for it, so we go back to Emi or punt it aimlessly upfield.

Played like this, this formation creates extra pressure on the backline because you're constantly fannying about with the ball in defence or defensive midfield positions, and all available players are behind. Get rid of it and never play it ever again.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Ermmm - why shouldn't the rebound count ? 

They haven't changed that rule yet, been put forward a few times by fifa but never voted in

FWIW I think it should be the rule, emi makes a great save but its such an advantage to the striker on the rebound 

Going on shout formation is one thing, but that also doesn't excuse the lack of effort, quality or temperament. Awful to man, again Martinez aside. Mings and Targett are particularly horrific, one thinks he's gods gift to CBs but slashes at every ball, the other can't read the game, can't cross beyond the first defender and doesn't like any pressure. Then you've got midfielders on completely different wavelengths and two strikers who can't be bothered because of the formation or whatever.

Horrific from minute 1 to minute 50 or whatever it ended up being.

• Like 1