Energy Bills

Genie

Just now, ender4 said:

So every household in the UK is getting a £200 loan in the form of a credit on their utility bill?

Yes, in October you’ll get a £200 credit on your bill. Then from next year everyone will get an extra charge of £40 each year for 5 years (regardless whether they got the £200 or not).

• Thanks 2

Going back to the debate about getting Cavity Wall Insulation. 

I looked on the internet whether its good to get, and lots of stories about it having caused damp in their house. 

I don't think its worth the risk?  Rather have a bit colder house than getting damp in the house!

Just now, Genie said:

Yes, in October you’ll get a £200 credit on your bill. Then from next year everyone will get an extra charge of £40 each year for 5 years (regardless whether they got the £200 or not).

I guess that fully answers my interest free question then.

4 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I guess that fully answers my interest free question then.

Yes.

If you wanted to make the most out of it you’d pay £200 less into the energy account in October and instead put £200 into a savings account. That way you make a couple of quid in interest (but probably not enough to buy a pint).

Then release £40 from it once a year over the next 5 years. 

Just now, Genie said:

Yes.

If you wanted to make the most out of it you’d pay £200 less into the energy account in October and instead put £200 into a savings account. That way you make a couple of quid in interest (but probably not enough to buy a pint).

Then release £40 from it once a year over the next 5 years. 

Yeah, I keep seeing things like that. "Don't pay X off, put it in a high interest savings account for a few years".

Maybe now interest rates are going up... But even then... Just not worth it really.

5 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ll give the same answer I’ve given every time, we’re literally here now discussing it. It’s put the subject into the conversation.

The discussion, again, was about gluing themselves to whatever and getting arrested.

I completely agree with them, and did before they formed a group, but they're not cutting through with the cause, because of 2 things IMO - media more interested in Covid, then Bog Dig's lies, and because their tactics are nutty. I mean good on 'em for trying, but if they had a bit more brains, they'd maybe change their protest methods a tad.

27 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Going back to the debate about getting Cavity Wall Insulation. 

I looked on the internet whether its good to get, and lots of stories about it having caused damp in their house. 

I don't think its worth the risk?  Rather have a bit colder house than getting damp in the house!

There are a few factors around it, but its certainly a risk if the outside wall isn’t in great shape or if you’re in an exposed or a coastal location.

My house is 100 years old, on a hill, on the coast, no chance I should go anywhere near cavity insulation. 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

So it's possible to not have the £200 but still have to pay it back?

Is it an optional thing, or is this just happening whether we like it or not?

Does this mean we can expect Sunak to take over in October, claiming he's just given us all £200 to make our lives easier, whattaguy?

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So it's possible to not have the £200 but still have to pay it back?

Is it an optional thing, or is this just happening whether we like it or not?

Correct, It’s happening if you like it or not.

You cannot refuse it either. 
When it was pointed out that people will end up paying £200 back but never had it in the first place he (Sunak) said something about it’s common for people to have to pay for things that they didn’t have the benefit of but I can’t remember the examples he gave.

Again, I’m surprised more of this hasn’t been made in the media. He is operating on easy mode at the moment.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yeah, I keep seeing things like that. "Don't pay X off, put it in a high interest savings account for a few years".

Maybe now interest rates are going up... But even then... Just not worth it really.

"High Interest" savings account

7xokcLJ.jpeg

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

When it was pointed out that people will end up paying £200 back but never had it in the first place he (Sunak) said something about it’s common for people to have to pay for things that they didn’t have the benefit of but I can’t remember the examples he gave.

So if you perhaps live with parents this October, they'll get it, then if you move out in December, you'll pay it back over the next two years in your new place and your parents will also pay it back on the bills at their place?

It's a very odd thing to do.

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

So if you perhaps live with parents this October, they'll get it, then if you move out in December, you'll pay it back over the next two years in your new place and your parents will also pay it back on the bills at their place?

It's a very odd thing to do.

That’s exactly it. 
It’s a good job there’s no cost of living issue at the moment as people could do without an unnecessary £200 bill.

• Thanks 1

Having to pay the £40 levy even if you don’t get the £200 is madness. I guess they’re doing it for the sake of simplicity, but it feels deeply wrong.

I guess if you hate your energy company you should stick with them this year, then change to one of the good ones next year.

29 minutes ago, trekka said:
What a state we're in. Start paying back the £40 a year AND be faced with probably bigger bills anyway.  It is completely nuts. 

It is all about trying to get a positive headline out there when in reality it will do next to f all, costs the government f all and arguably with for instance children who move out the family home and get their own place also paying back £40 a year having never received the £200, it will make the government/energy companies money.

Much like the council tax rebate of £150. I can pretty much guarantee C/Tax will go up by a similar amount in April. 

Sunak claims in it s 9 billion pound package but you can guarantee that £200 loan is included and makes up 6 billion of it.

There are millions of people now that can't afford to heat their homes basically freezing so what chance have they got with 54% (65% since last October) added to the cost. It is absolutely disgusting how this government has once again turned its back on those most in need. Disgusting but not surprising under a Tory government. 

Edited by markavfc40

13 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Having to pay the £40 levy even if you don’t get the £200 is madness. I guess they’re doing it for the sake of simplicity, but it feels deeply wrong.

I guess if you hate your energy company you should stick with them this year, then change to one of the good ones next year.

not surprised tho, they have form.

for example, the child care allowance idiocy (ie: a couple can earn £49,999 each and keep it, or if only one of the couple is a wage earner, but earns £50,001, you start losing it)

idiocy.

• Like 2

The way this price cap is spoken about/reported is a bit deceiving really as I have spoken to people who believe that the price cap figure is the ceiling figure and you can't pay anymore when in fact the cap refers to unit rates and these figures the press etc use are just based on average usage. For many people a 54% increase is way more than the £698 rise that is constantly being spouted. If you're currently paying 2k a year for your energy then a 54% increase is taking you up to £3080.

Edited by markavfc40

I can kind of, kind of, see the idea of prices being ridiculously high, so cutting it back a bit, and repaying over the next few years when those prices are very likely to drop back down. It's just implemented in almost the worst way one could dream up though.

I can't even be bothered to see what the difference is in my pocket in October once the NI hike is taken into account. 

Â