January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

You didn't say it was written in French.

Now I'm fully on board the rumour train.

CHOO-CHOO!

EDIT: Sorry - In French.

TCHOU-TCHOU!

Edited by Dante_Lockhart
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

You didn't say it was written in French.

Now I'm fully on board the rumour train.

And it's from a guy with 360 thousand followers, and a blue tick. Don't do that to us!

Edited by RichiBoi11
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's a slightly different perspective from you think.

In terms of our midfield and its defending you've highlighted a couple of our strengths; we are tenacious, we get after people, we buzz around and close things down well and we have players in our midfield who can start attacks from deep Luiz, McGinn, Sanson and Ramsey are all capable of that. 

Where we lack is a little in terms of strength, someone who can run with a good sized striker, compete with someone the size of McTominay physically, someone who can make a difference in defending set pieces - in short a big un.

The chasing stuff, the harrying stuff, the football stuff, conducting the orchestra - that's what we're good at.

Oddly for both of us, from your post above it sounds like you want a player like Douglas Luiz and I want a six foot three destroyer - I'm sure that's not how we usually do this! 😆

I think our midfield did fine against McTominay earlier in the month.  If we have the ball then it doesn't matter how big the opposition are.  I was probably in the camp you are up until about 2 weeks ago.  Now I think that we are actually looking for what TRO is suggesting.  McGinn is not the conductor of an orchestra - he's an annoying pain in the ar$e for the opposition buzzing around and annoying them.  But he is better higher up the pitch because he is less likely to try one of his stupid floaty balls that have a 4% chance of success of reaching their man.  Luiz is kind of like a conductor but actually would be better to just be the lead violinist - leading all the fancy, intricate parts and keeping the ball moving (I kind of lost the musical analogy for that part).  I genuinely think that Gerrard is looking for another CM but one who is maybe a bit happier lying a bit deeper.  I don't think the club are after a destroyer, I think they are after a deeper lying instigator.

• Like 1

Before SG came here many people were either negative or at least unenthusiastic about Marv. He was a good tackler, a destroyer if you like, but people correctly identified that he wasn’t very good once he’d won the ball. Under SG he’s still a good tackler but the aspect of his game that has improved is his passing. He’s not a defence splitting genius but he’s become a better all round midfielder. He covers a lot of ground and can move the ball well. What I believe the coaches are looking for are an up grade on Marv not a DM destroyer. They might sit a little deeper, but that is positional rather than an indication of attributes as far as crunching tackler is concerned. 

Midfielders in the modern game have to be able to do everything. They can’t be one dimensional as that leaves the team short. Yes they’ll have strengths and weaknesses but their all round game has to be at a very high level. We shouldn’t be surprised if the target, or the type of target has changed under the new coaching regime. I’m not sure that any of us can argue that the man pulling the strings isn’t well qualified to decide what would be best for our central midfield. The great and the good on VT have decided that we must have a DM and largely that man should be Yves Bissouma. I’ve not actually heard SG or any of the big decision makers at VP offer a precise opinion. 

15 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Do you know for sure that's what we bid? How? We have to stick to our own valuations on players too. 25m isn't peanuts. JWP is a tidy player with a top set piece  he's not amazing. Bissouma, I reckon we bid more but the spent is taking the piss. There has to be a limit.

We spent 35m possibly 40m on Buendia. Bailey was about 30. Coutinhos wages plus fee if we decide to sign him another 30-40m. Digne big wages, another 25m. We're spending huge amounts in a short space of time.

I sometimes think people only look at deadline day as a barometer. We all want a top CDM to complete the picture, or the narratives picture. If it has to be Summer then so be it. We've still massively improved.

I think the point being made is that midfield is an area that Gerrard called early as one he would strengthen. So i guess i was excited to see who we would bring in . And yes i do not know how mudh we bid for sure. They were the numbers being bandied around. Maybe Chambers is Gerrards perfect placement for a DM. But the one thing i am sure of is that Gerrard rates Luiz more as an 8 , amd that Luiz wants to play as an 8. Marv is at least 2 months from fitness maybe more so possibly will be up to Luiz to play that position that he doesnt like all the way up to the summer where he has 12 months on his deal left. Or instead play Chambers who has had a big lack of football in the last 2 seasons . I like the player, but i think he is cover for 3 positions rather than the DM first and foremost. 

Money isnt everything but in this situation, especially with the relatively low outlay in midfield since we got promoted , but there surely is a time when u think in 3 consecutive windows we have cried out for a DM and in 3 consecutive windows we havent got one  , that we might just might undervalue top class midfielders.

Ps in a perfect world Oreagbunam will mature into the brilliant dm we all hope he can be, but in the meantime a grade A addition to our midfield might help us move up the table where Gerrard and Purslow want to be.

2 minutes ago, allani said:

I think our midfield did fine against McTominay earlier in the month.  If we have the ball then it doesn't matter how big the opposition are.  I was probably in the camp you are up until about 2 weeks ago.  Now I think that we are actually looking for what TRO is suggesting.

Which is what I don't get - I think Douglas Luiz is pretty much exactly what TRO has described - someone who sets the tempo, can pass and start attacks - that's Douglas Luiz.

TRO has previously been an advocate of a bit more power in our midfield - I understand that and can see where it's helpful. It seems odd to be suggesting we go out and find what we've already got.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Before SG came here many people were either negative or at least unenthusiastic about Marv. He was a good tackler, a destroyer if you like, but people correctly identified that he wasn’t very good once he’d won the ball. Under SG he’s still a good tackler but the aspect of his game that has improved is his passing. He’s not a defence splitting genius but he’s become a better all round midfielder. He covers a lot of ground and can move the ball well. What I believe the coaches are looking for are an up grade on Marv not a DM destroyer. They might sit a little deeper, but that is positional rather than an indication of attributes as far as crunching tackler is concerned. 

Midfielders in the modern game have to be able to do everything. They can’t be one dimensional as that leaves the team short. Yes they’ll have strengths and weaknesses but their all round game has to be at a very high level. We shouldn’t be surprised if the target, or the type of target has changed under the new coaching regime. I’m not sure that any of us can argue that the man pulling the strings isn’t well qualified to decide what would be best for our central midfield. The great and the good on VT have decided that we must have a DM and largely that man should be Yves Bissouma. I’ve not actually heard SG or any of the big decision makers at VP offer a precise opinion. 

Agree and disagree at the same time.  I don't think we are after a Marv who can pass.  I think we are after a McGinn or a Luiz who is more comfortable playing a little deeper and maybe a little bit better at tackling.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Which is what I don't get - I think Douglas Luiz is pretty much exactly what TRO has described - someone who sets the tempo, can pass and start attacks - that's Douglas Luiz.

TRO has previously been an advocate of a bit more power in our midfield - I understand that and can see where it's helpful. It seems odd to be suggesting we go out and find what we've already got.

I think we want another Luiz but who is more comfortable playing that deeper role.  So the man who plays the ball to the man who plays the ball to the man who lays the ball off for the goalscorer.  I think my journey has been almost identical to TRO.  I just feel that if we are building a team and a strategy to dominate the ball then the power / destroyer becomes less important.  Much better to have a guy who can get his foot on the ball in front of our back line to get control of the ball and let us re-determine the pace of the game.  Unfortunately when we are under pressure McGinn and Luiz tend to either get rid of the ball too quickly or get themselves isolated / stranded and lose possession.  But hey at the end of the day the only people who know what type of midfield player we are really chasing are not on this forum (or if they are they are not saying very much!!!).

Edited by allani