January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Not ITK, no reports to suggest anything of the sort… but I wouldn’t be opposed to signing Albrighton as capable backup if we were to ship out Trez, AEG and Davies…

Villa fan, Premier League Winner… 1 year contract… Decent player…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

I have no idea what he is alleged to have done but please can we show a bit of class, not minimise the ‘groping’ of women, remember that there is an alleged victim in this and not wish that it gets ‘smoothed over’ or that he gets a ‘slap on the wrist’ just so we can sign him.

If he faces no further action, I’m all for it but I do not want any body under investigation for, charged with or convicted of a sexual offence playing for this club and I would be ashamed of Villa if they moved for him before knowing the outcome of the investigation.

At this stage Bissouma is innocent. It is for his accuser or the CPS to prove guilt. Very few people will know what actually happened but it appears that Brighton (a widely respected club) have done their due diligence and continued to allow him to play and he has been bailed and allowed to travel internationally freely.

He may well be guilty but if there is anything in this link the club would have done extensive back ground checks to see if he has any sort of similar behaviour in his past.

if the background checks don’t reveal anything then we absolutely should go all in to buy him now as the reality is that he will be going to one of the biggest clubs in the world if/when he is cleared. 

1 hour ago, DJ_Villain said:

Not ITK, no reports to suggest anything of the sort… but I wouldn’t be opposed to signing Albrighton as capable backup if we were to ship out Trez, AEG and Davies…

What about bringing Grealish back instead?

16 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

At this stage Bissouma is innocent. It is for his accuser or the CPS to prove guilt. Very few people will know what actually happened but it appears that Brighton (a widely respected club) have done their due diligence and continued to allow him to play and he has been bailed and allowed to travel internationally freely.

He may well be guilty but if there is anything in this link the club would have done extensive back ground checks to see if he has any sort of similar behaviour in his past.

if the background checks don’t reveal anything then we absolutely should go all in to buy him now as the reality is that he will be going to one of the biggest clubs in the world if/when he is cleared. 

He may well be a sex offender but let’s use that as an an advantage to get him before the big boys come in??? 

• Like 1

I wouldn’t buy Bissouma unless it was a loan with the obligation to buy in the summer with two clauses.

1. He isn’t sentenced to go to prison

2. He doesn’t pick up a bad injury at AFCON

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

He may well be a sex offender but let’s use that as an an advantage to get him before the big boys come in??? 

At this stage he is innocent. It’s pointless to speculate either way but I’d be shocked if a club like Brighton are continuing to play him if it’s a truly egregious offence.

it’s absolutely something we should be looking to take advantage of if the due diligence indicates that there was no offence or even if it’s relatively minor or would you have rejected the opportunity to sign Neymar and Ronaldo - due to similar allegations they have faced -  in their prime for the same reason? 

This is the sharp end of elite sport. You don’t win any medals or trophies for being a lovely bunch of lads.

4 hours ago, DJ_Villain said:

We don’t need to make our squad anymore bloated. 

We need to ship players like Trez, El Ghazi and Traore out and allow players like Buendia, Bailey, Coutinho and Chukwuemeka to compete. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

I wouldn’t buy Bissouma unless it was a loan with the obligation to buy in the summer with two clauses.

1. He isn’t sentenced to go to prison

2. He doesn’t pick up a bad injury at AFCON

The problem with that Paul is you then ask the question “What is in it for Brighton?”

Would we loan a PL rival one of, if not our best player/s just so they had the option to send him back if it didn’t work out for them?

I understand where you’re coming from, but I just don’t think Brighton would go for anything like that. It’s going to take a big offer to get Brighton interested imo, I think they can wait until the summer before panicking about getting something for him assuming he is not going to sign a new deal.

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

At this stage he is innocent. It’s pointless to speculate either way but I’d be shocked if a club like Brighton are continuing to play him if it’s a truly egregious offence.

it’s absolutely something we should be looking to take advantage of if the due diligence indicates that there was no offence or even if it’s relatively minor or would you have rejected the opportunity to sign Neymar and Ronaldo - due to similar allegations they have faced -  in their prime for the same reason? 

This is the sharp end of elite sport. You don’t win any medals or trophies for being a lovely bunch of lads.

We’re just going to have to agree to disagree here but it’s attitudes like yours that allow people with success and power to get away with abuse.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

We’re just going to have to agree to disagree here but it’s attitudes like yours that allow people with success and power to get away with abuse.

I think that’s harsh. He was just saying the club should do it’s due diligence and if they feel he’s innocent, just like Ched Evans was, then it’s worth pursuing. Or at least enquiring! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I have no idea what he is alleged to have done but please can we show a bit of class, not minimise the ‘groping’ of women, remember that there is an alleged victim in this and not wish that it gets ‘smoothed over’ or that he gets a ‘slap on the wrist’ just so we can sign him.

If he faces no further action, I’m all for it but I do not want any body under investigation for, charged with or convicted of a sexual offence playing for this club and I would be ashamed of Villa if they moved for him before knowing the outcome of the investigation.

Absolutely bang on. Not really something to joke about. 

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

I’d have to say I’d feel uneasy about buying a player with this sort of allegation over his head. If it turns out he’s innocent then ok, but we can’t base our moral code on sporting ability. I’m all for having a reasonable level of ruthlessness, but surely there’s a line to be drawn? The argument that surely he must be innocent because Brighton are still playing him and we should get in quick is a double sided coin. Brighton could be playing him in the hope that someone will come in for him before he’s found guilty. I can’t imagine that Purslow and co. aren’t very aware of the implications of buying a potentially guilty sex offender could have on the image of the club and therefore the damaging commercial implications. I would hope though that our football club would however have a stronger moral compass than merely commercial considerations. I’d also like to think that our expensively assembled recruitment team can at least come up with more than one answer to the CDM question.  Taking a calculated risk on a players form and fitness is one thing but surely there are lines in the sand, even in the murky world of football recruitment. If not it’s about time we drew one. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I think that’s harsh. He was just saying the club should do it’s due diligence and if they feel he’s innocent, just like Ched Evans was, then it’s worth pursuing. Or at least enquiring! 

I don’t think it’s harsh, I think people/organisations have been turning a blind eye to what they believe is the “relatively minor” stuff committed by the rich and famous for years and it’s not ok.

Anyway…back to transfers, preferably scandal free ones…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’d have to say I’d feel uneasy about buying a player with this sort of allegation over his head. If it turns out he’s innocent then ok, but we can’t base our moral code on sporting ability. I’m all for having a reasonable level of ruthlessness, but surely there’s a line to be drawn? The argument that surely he must be innocent because Brighton are still playing him and we should get in quick is a double sided coin. Brighton could be playing him in the hope that someone will come in for him before he’s found guilty. I can’t imagine that Purslow and co. aren’t very aware of the implications of buying a potentially guilty sex offender could have on the image of the club and therefore the damaging commercial implications. I would hope though that our football club would however have a stronger moral compass than merely commercial considerations. I’d also like to think that our expensively assembled recruitment team can at least come up with more than one answer to the CDM question.  Taking a calculated risk on a players form and fitness is one thing but surely there are lines in the sand, even in the murky world of football recruitment. If not it’s about time we drew one. 

I really admire Bissouma as a player but I think you are right. Even if he is not found guilty or the charges are dropped, that does not mean he is innocent. It is incredibly difficult to prove sexual offences and on most occasions the perpetrator does not even get charged let alone found guilty.

The fact that they are dragging this out for so long would suggest that they think there’s something in this, otherwise it would have been dismissed by now. Even if it does get dismissed, if he is guilty, then he will likely reoffend in the future.

This perception that the criminal justice system is perfect and that guilty people get sent to prison and innocent ones don’t is a fantasy. As harsh as it might sound, it is better to avoid Bissouma and just get somebody else with a clean record.

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I really admire Bissouma as a player but I think you are right. Even if he is not found guilty or the charges are dropped, that does not mean he is innocent. It is incredibly difficult to prove sexual offences and on most occasions the perpetrator does not even get charged let alone found guilty.

The fact that they are dragging this out for so long would suggest that they think there’s something in this, otherwise it would have been dismissed by now. Even if it does get dismissed, if he is guilty, then he will likely reoffend in the future.

This perception that the criminal justice system is perfect and that guilty people get sent to prison and innocent ones don’t is a fantasy. As harsh as it might sound, it is better to avoid Bissouma and just get somebody else with a clean record.

Actually just to add balance, they aren’t dragging it out, getting from the point of allegation to a charging/no charging decision is a very lengthy process for a variety of reasons I won’t bore you with but it is still quite feasible that he could face no further action, maybe due to lack of evidence or just complete innocence. 

• Like 1

Just now, WakefieldVillan said:

Phillips > Bissouma 

I think he would be an absolute monster under Gerrard. Can also play at CB. I think it's highly unlikely this summer, but I never imagined we'd be able to sign Coutinho so why not dream... 

Yeah I think he's a better player but he seems to always be injured

9 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I largely agree, but with the caveat that it’s an awful crime to be accused of if you’re innocent. The fact is we probably won’t ever know the truth but is this a situation we want or need to get involved in?