January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

23 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Just because Sanson got injured doesn't mean every player we buy will get injured. We need to be realistic in that not every player we buy will work out but that doesn't change the fact that we should have the correct approach to buying players 

I wasn’t implying he was a flop I was agreeing with you 🤣 I thought it was good value to get him through the door to settle in england and yes unfortunately he got injured, I wasn’t n being sarcastic

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

our midfielders are too samey, all too offensive minded, which makes it difficult to control the middle of the park as you rightly allude to.

We need a Roy Keane or Patrick Viera...who can conduct affairs and pull the strings for our players to play off...most teams in the prem, have one of sorts, its criminal we don't.....unfortunately our one who has just been accepted as one, has now got a long term injury.

This needs to be our top priority.....and judging by the links, clickbait, I am not so sure.

I think it would elevate JM JJ DL and MS to a higher level too by having the right man in there. As Peter said above the value is around the 20 yr old mark and would love that to work as is financially sound business if they grow in to giants but for me we need a ready made experienced head, a good talker, technically sound, strong etc... Would cost a bomb probably.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

I think it would elevate JM JJ DL and MS to a higher level too by having the right man in there. As Peter said above the value is around the 20 yr old mark and would love that to work as is financially sound business if they grow in to giants but for me we need a ready made experienced head, a good talker, technically sound, strong etc... Would cost a bomb probably.

Would be well worth the money though,  if we want to get to the next level then we have to spend next level money.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

So in lieu of an explanation, a reverse image Search says this is Timmy Abraham...

Did you get the wrong Abraham trying to bring up the old Tammy debate or are you actually suggesting Timmy Abraham?

Ahhh thanks bud, is was just having a bit of fun, that was supposed to be Tammy, gosh they really look alike.

Just having a larf. Trying to get this thread buzzing.

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I wasn’t implying he was a flop I was agreeing with you 🤣 I thought it was good value to get him through the door to settle in england and yes unfortunately he got injured, I wasn’t n being sarcastic

By all accounts at the time we got MS for rock bottom dollar, if I remember correctly Arsenal were hot for him in the previous window for around the 35m mark. We moved in when the TV money issue in France was happening. Such a shame he hasn't had the chance to show us fully what he is all about.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Marv's injury was so unlucky with the timing. Its a very difficult task getting the right players in but they tend to get better with length of time at the club. They need the bedding in period, this is why I would like to see us buy players in Jan. But with the caveat that we do not compromise on quality. If the right player is not available then we should buy none. If we have a serious injury issue and need to get a player in to fill a position because we have no alternatives then we should get a loan player or play a 17 year old rather than buy the wrong player

I agree, and money doesn't grow on trees.

If there is one thing to piss owners off, is buying dud players, its a sure way to drain their confidence.....They need stimulating just like every member of staff at the club...They need confidence that the people they have invested in are Kosher

I have been particularly miffed at the way we have failed to take the CDM role at the club seriously over the last few seasons.....most clubs in the Prem have taken it seriously and subsequently got some decent ones in.

There is not a dearth of them around like there used to be, or doesn't seem so, but still every decent club has one or two in some cases, or players who can do both in the case of the better ones.

We have tended to be a club, more focused on Offence, than defence and that balance in my view, is what's held us back.....and in fact it has not proved to make us any better in attack, either.

I am hoping, with the new regime , the ability to keep clean sheets and nullify the opposition, (like Wolves can do) will allow the offensive players to relax a bit more, and not have to worry, about whats going on behind them as much.

fingers crossed for the new window.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree, and money doesn't grow on trees.

If there is one thing to piss owners off, is buying dud players, its a sure way to drain their confidence.....They need stimulating just like every member of staff at the club...They need confidence that the people they have invested in are Kosher

I have been particularly miffed at the way we have failed to take the CDM role at the club seriously over the last few seasons.....most clubs in the Prem have taken it seriously and subsequently got some decent ones in.

There is not a dearth of them around like there used to be, or doesn't seem so, but still every decent club has one or two in some cases, or players who can do both in the case of the better ones.

We have tended to be a club, more focused on Offence, than defence and that balance in my view, is what's held us back.....and in fact it has not proved to make us any better in attack, either.

I am hoping, with the new regime , the ability to keep clean sheets and nullify the opposition, (like Wolves can do) will allow the offensive players to relax a bit more, and not have to worry, about whats going on behind them as much.

fingers crossed for the new window.

I agree and I think that goes down to our manager. This is not a Deano bash but it is critical of him. I think his lack of experience at PL level helped put us in this position. In the Championship he was able to win games by outscoring the opposition. We had Jack and Tammy and a fairly decent squad team behind them. We simply didn't need the strong DM or very disciplined back 4/5 in order to win games and gain promotion. This philosophy carried on to the PL. But the PL is at such a higher level to the Championship that it didn't work. This is why, imo, we looked brilliant on some days and like dog shyte on other days. If a team let us play against them and if we were in form we looked like Barcelona. But against disciplined teams we often came unstuck. I believe this is reflected in why we lost so many games to teams we 'expected' to beat. We still have the hangover of that philosophy and Gerrard needs to fix that which means improving the quality of our defence and CDM and also learning to play with much more discipline

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pez1974 said:

So....banging a little thing in with my 25 stone makes the difference? I'll tell the wife.

There’s another old saying which comes to mind made famous by Freddie Trueman: “if you’ve got a big nail you need a big hammer”. But of course a small nail needs only a small hammer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pez1974 said:

So....banging a little thing in with my 25 stone makes the difference? I'll tell the wife.

Her boyfriend says you don't need to.😀

Edited by TRO
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

just wait till we submit the 75m bid for Bellingham, the thread will be buzzing then

Triple figures for him I think..... even though I know you are joking.

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

You are probably right. He is a player I would like to sign. Could u imagine the neighbours seeing him in claret & blue 🤣

With his shirt still retired too and him a nose as well...let's up that bid to £99m. :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Triple figures for him I think..... even though I know you are joking.

90 million was the figure I saw somewhere, though don’t know if that was £ or €. Even if the club would pay it, he’s not going to a non-UCL club. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

By all accounts at the time we got MS for rock bottom dollar, if I remember correctly Arsenal were hot for him in the previous window for around the 35m mark. We moved in when the TV money issue in France was happening. Such a shame he hasn't had the chance to show us fully what he is all about.

sanson is a case of if theres a deal to be done and it all fits then we do it

i would guess that more often than not its a case of not everything fits, the selling club holds more power than us, if they want to delay until summer then it is what it is, still do the paperwork though and make it official, im sure chelsea bought ziyech in february last year meaning he had to see out the season at ajax, that kind of thing will be down to ajax not chelsea

long story short if the right player is there i think we'll get him but i dont expect the right player to be there

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

sanson is a case of if theres a deal to be done and it all fits then we do it

i would guess that more often than not its a case of not everything fits, the selling club holds more power than us, if they want to delay until summer then it is what it is, still do the paperwork though and make it official, im sure chelsea bought ziyech in february last year meaning he had to see out the season at ajax, that kind of thing will be down to ajax not chelsea

long story short if the right player is there i think we'll get him but i dont expect the right player to be there

It is a big problem, our target players can get a move to Ch LGE clubs and we get no where, not sure if some will buy into it but working for Gerrard is probably a draw we haven't had before, might/hopefully be a factor.

If Bellingham leaves Dortmund it will probably be to either one of the Manchester clubs or Liverpool, I know we say we have to start signing players that might think out of our reach, but there's a limit to that, certain players will be impossible for us to get, and with Bellingham there are other factors at play, those factors would probably make it almost impossible to sign his younger brother Jobe who having seen a few times, is genuinely a good player in his own right, let alone Jude.

• Like 1