January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

They are yeah but it's all about cost isn't it.

Who cares if Emmanuel Dennis was fairly crap for £3m? Doesn't really matter.

Much more of an issue to have a £20m bust like Wes.

Once you get over £15m, you really shouldn't be signing any really poor players that aren't going to work IMO.

It's easy to not make terrible signings, hard to get the brilliant deals.

If we'd signed Ings and Jarrod Bowen in summer 2019 we'd probably have finished top 6 last season.

I think West Ham got Bowen for 15m as he was still at Hull in summer 2019, can't remember if Ings was at Southampton the same summer but he went for around the price Wes did.

At least we're now in good position to sign established top level players now as last few windows have shown.

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Gomez is decent but Konsa is better than him. 

He is but given Gerrard was pretty evasive when asked on captaincy early on I don't think he's really sold on Mings long term.

Kons and Gomez both came through at Charlton at around the same time, did they ever play together? Although that would mean one shifting to left side and we've seen before balance issues if you play two right footed CBs together.

I do think he's a realistic target for us though so wouldn't be shocked at all to see us make a move next month. 

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He is but given Gerrard was pretty evasive when asked on captaincy early on I don't think he's really sold on Mings long term.

Kons and Gomez both came through at Charlton at around the same time, did they ever play together? Although that would mean one shifting to left side and we've seen before balance issues if you play two right footed CBs together.

I do think he's a realistic target for us though so wouldn't be shocked at all to see us make a move next month. 

Give Gerard time, Mings will be one of the first he will replace given the chance.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, HeyAnty said:

Give Gerard time, Mings will be one of the first he will replace given the chance.

Could see Mings going to the Geordie Arabs for a good £50M+, which would be good business if we could get a really top drawer replacement. 

That Hermoso link last summer fits the profile Lange/Gerrard would want in, but seems a bit unrealistic(!) unless he fancies a go at the Prem.

Interesting comments from Gerrard this morning...

Alluded to meetings over the last week with Purslow, Lange and himself to identify targets. Also states fans will be excited if we manage to sign them this January, however if not we wait until the Summer.

Sounds like we will try to be active, Gerrard will push for signings.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If we'd signed Ings and Jarrod Bowen in summer 2019 we'd probably have finished top 6 last season.

I think West Ham got Bowen for 15m as he was still at Hull in summer 2019, can't remember if Ings was at Southampton the same summer but he went for around the price Wes did.

At least we're now in good position to sign established top level players now as last few windows have shown.

They signed him in January when we were in the Championship and they were in the Prem for about £18million + with a lot of add ons. We were linked with him as I remember, but we had no chance against a Prem team.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rolta said:

They signed him in January when we were in the Championship and they were in the Prem for about £18million + with a lot of add ons. We were linked with him as I remember, but we had no chance against a Prem team.

Palace and Bournemouth were regarded as bigger and better clubs then us back then. They've had their 15 minutes but in all honesty there was a time when we were only heading in one direction.

SG's reputation is on the line, I think almost all his signings will be 1st team upgrades with their replacements replacing the fringe players. We might sign the odd backup but even they will be investment potential I'm hoping.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Interesting comments from Gerrard this morning...

Alluded to meetings over the last week with Purslow, Lange and himself to identify targets. Also states fans will be excited if we manage to sign them this January, however if not we wait until the Summer.

Sounds like we will try to be active, Gerrard will push for signings.

Beautifully done Mr Gerrard. Puts the pressure on the board to deliver. By saying that that the fans will be excited by who we are looking at . None of this non commital under promise over deliver bollocks . 

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Gomez is decent but Konsa is better than him. 

But by adding Gomez, Gerrard doesn't need to coach him in how he wants him to play. He'd be buying a ready made CB who will know how to play out from the back. Gerrard sets up our midfield and back the same way Klopp does for Liverpool with full backs getting high up the pitch and midfielders covering behind them. Next step in that regard is the playing out from the back and we don't have the players yet to do it effectively. I see the CB, LB and CDM signings being key to that next step.

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Could see Mings going to the Geordie Arabs for a good £50M+, which would be good business if we could get a really top drawer replacement. 

That Hermoso link last summer fits the profile Lange/Gerrard would want in, but seems a bit unrealistic(!) unless he fancies a go at the Prem.

Agreed, that's the kind of deal that works for them and us. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

From the Steven Gerrard presser today

“He’s (Mings) a fantastic player, he’s led by example so far. I’ve been really impressed with him not just on the pitch but off it as well. I’m sure he’ll be missed in certain ways“

or perhaps SG might work with Mings to make him even better and not try to replace. So many other parts of the team need upgrades via transfers first.

• Like 1

Mings has been very good. If you would sell him and buy someone like Gomez, that would initially set the team several steps backwards even if he would come good. You have to try and find the next Gem and then give him 12 months to develop into the team before selling Mings. Or then pay more than you get from Mings sale for someone truly next level, and all the names I come up for are out of our league still. If you want to steady progress that is. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

This lad has been really reliable, so mostly to be trusted, I’d say. 

A loan until the end of the season for Coutinho would be incredible, but unlikely. 

Sorry to say, this guy is full of it. 

3 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

This lad has been really reliable, so mostly to be trusted, I’d say. 

A loan until the end of the season for Coutinho would be incredible, but unlikely. 

We'd never make such a stupid decision like that in a position we are overstocked in.

1 minute ago, vazquez said:

Mings has been very good. If you would sell him and buy someone like Gomez, that would initially set the team several steps backwards even if he would come good. You have to try and find the next Gem and then give him 12 months to develop into the team before selling Mings. Or then pay more than you get from Mings sale for someone truly next level, and all the names I come up for are out of our league still. If you want to steady progress that is. 

Sometimes an offer comes that is too good to turn down. 

Can't see us selling Mings to Newcastle and I think they will look at other targets than him. 

We'll already be 2 CB's down in the summer (or even earlier) with Tuanzebe leaving and Hause depending on his contract extended or not. Would mean we'd have to buy 3 new CB's, seems like a silly strategy as we have other needs too.

• Like 1

"Excited by transfer plans" is such a non-comment, and of course if the opposite is absurd: "My feeling is the fans will be pretty underwhelmed by our plans..." then it's not worth saying.

My feeling is all player / manager interviews should be banned except in extreme circumstances!