January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

6 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

I can't help to think about the 7-2 when I see Joe Gomez name. He was beyond awful.

He was.

Let's not forget we also shredded Van Dijk and Trent that day. Two of the best in the world in their role.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He was.

Let's not forget we also shredded Van Dijk and Trent that day. Two of the best in the world in their role.

Doesn't really matters to me. We should stay away from Gomez IMO.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Emre Can isn’t getting much action in Germany and has history with SG at Liverpool. Option for CDM? 

Now that would be really interesting. But admittedly I'm imagining the player who was 21/22 at Liverpool and engineered a move to Juve.

It's been 4 years and He's back at Dortmund with only 6 starts this year... Has something gone wrong for him or is he just deputising boy-wonder in Bellingham?

If he's near the player he was looking like he could be 5 years ago this would be a great buy and should just be entering his prime. But over not followed him since Liverpool

Edited by HalfTimePost

6 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

It's been 4 years and He's back at Dortmund with only 6 starts this year... Has something gone wrong for him or is he just deputising boy-wonder in Bellingham?

Muscle injuries. Would fit right in here. Great player, though.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Totally disagree, I think he's exactly the type of player we need to add. Prem experience, young, English and is good on the ball. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Now that would be really interesting. But admittedly I'm imagining the player who was 21/22 at Liverpool and engineered a move to Juve.

If he's near the player he was looking like he could be 5 years ago this would be a great buy and should just be entering his prime. But over not followed him since Liverpool

Man he’s that young? Might cost a lot, but definitely take him.

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hickey is massively rated isn’t he?  Plus he’s only 19. Guessing he won’t be cheap. 

Yeah really hope we get him. Exactly the type of player we should be after. CDM is a huge signing and if we can land both in Jan that would be excellent. Another CB (hopefully Gomez) would round us off. I think those are the three signings we need to make in January if possible (which is highly unlikely) or in Summer.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Totally disagree, I think he's exactly the type of player we need to add. Prem experience, young, English and is good on the ball. 

I agree. The only concern is his injury record. In terms of ability, he would easily be our best defender.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I agree. The only concern is his injury record. In terms of ability, he would easily be our best defender.

Yeah but ACL injury is bad luck and so is Ben Mee breaking your leg. I'd be more worried about players who are out with muscle injuries for x games at a time, or hamstring issues (take Bailey and Ings this season as examples of the type of injury I worry about). That shows recurring injuries. Gomez played all his football after the ACL injury so it's clear he's no long terms issues from that. 

• Like 1

I know that January is a difficult time to make signings but I am really interested to see what we try to do. It might lead to very little but the intent is what will make it really interesting. I’ve been impressed with everything that Gerrard has done so far. He is proving to be a really class act but his greatest influence may be yet to come.

Gerrard has played at the very highest level. He knows what good looks like and has the pull to really attract a higher level of player than would have been attainable previously. I expect him to show real ambition with his attempted targets. Links to the likes of Gomez would previously have been totally unrealistic but now we do have an outside chance of making this level of signing. The next 4 weeks could prove to be very exciting.

11 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Can't imagine Liverpool would be willing to get rid of Gomez if he was back to his best following those injuries. He's missed so much football and turns 25 in a few months. Massive gamble IMO. But then again most transfers are I guess.

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Can't imagine Liverpool would be willing to get rid of Gomez if he was back to his best following those injuries. He's missed so much football and turns 25 in a few months. Massive gamble IMO. But then again most transfers are I guess.

They have 5 CBs and Gomez has played the least football of them this season. 

6 minutes ago, sne said:

They are yeah but it's all about cost isn't it.

Who cares if Emmanuel Dennis was fairly crap for £3m? Doesn't really matter.

Much more of an issue to have a £20m bust like Wes.

Once you get over £15m, you really shouldn't be signing any really poor players that aren't going to work IMO.

It's easy to not make terrible signings, hard to get the brilliant deals.

--

Edit, adding to this.

Wages these days do make it an issue to move players on. Even if you've signed someone for pittance, if you've stuck them on double what they can get anywhere else, you're going to have trouble moving them on when you don't want them.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 2