January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

13 minutes ago, useless said:

Aribo usually plays either on the right side of a front three for Rangers, or in central midfield as an attacking midfielder. The thing about him playing in central midfield is that when he does play there he doesn't look like a No.10 playing out of position, he actually contributes to the general midfield play and is a good tackler, so if we were to sign him and play him there I don't think it would be like when we've tried to play Buendia as one of the midfield three, or last season when tried to do the same with Barkley. Although I'm basing much of that from when I saw him playing for Charlton.

He's a good player but the question is do we need him? Bailey, Buendia, and Traore can all play on the right side of a front three, so then it becomes a question of whether we need him as an attacking central midfield option, given that Sanson, the Ramseys, McGinn, and Chukwuemeka can all play that role.

Edited by useless

3 minutes ago, useless said:

He's a good player but the question is do we need him? Bailey, Buendia, and Traore can all play on the right side of a front three, so then it becomes a question of whether we need him as an attacking central midfield option, given that Sanson, the Ramseys, McGinn, and Chukwuemeka can all play that role.

Maybe Gerrard doesn’t like some of them and will sell when he gets the opportunity and wants some changes.

I think everybody is thinking in terms of how we’ve worked for the past three years under a different regime but maybe Gerrard has his own ideas of what he wants from players and some of the bigger names here don’t fit in his plans.

• Like 2

Steven Gerrard is reportedly taking a leading role in Aston Villa's pursuit of Bologna defender Aaron Hickey.

Steven Gerrard takes active role as news 'filters' through over Aston Villa January transfer - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I'm gonna say it quietly here, but I really don't think either of our starting CBs are very good. I think Gerrard should be looking to upgrade at least one of them soon.

Konsa isn’t very good?

giphy.gif

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, useless said:

This is an unremarkable point but Hicky can play both as a left-back and as right-back.

True and I would be very pleased to see him at VP. But what are the chances this will happen?

Only just realized that Hickey is still only nineteen, maybe we wouldn't have to guarantee him first team football after all, convincing him that he's more likely to eventually become a regular first team player for us in the coming seasons than elsewhere might be enought to convince him. And dig this he's already got four assists this season.

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I'm gonna say it quietly here, but I really don't think either of our starting CBs are very good. I think Gerrard should be looking to upgrade at least one of them soon.

Don’t agree re Konsa, stoooongly agree re Mings

• Like 2

PSG have to sell To balance the books (lol) with both Thilo Kehrerhttps://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/thilo-kehrer/profil/spieler/228948 & 

Abdou Diallohttps://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/abdou-diallo/profil/spieler/229005 both reportedly available. Two players who would IMO instantly improve the team / squad. 

7 minutes ago, thabucks said:

PSG have to sell To balance the books (lol) with both Thilo Kehrerhttps://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/thilo-kehrer/profil/spieler/228948 & 

Abdou Diallohttps://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/abdou-diallo/profil/spieler/229005 both reportedly available. Two players who would IMO instantly improve the team / squad. 

Has there been any links with either of these players?

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That sort of move makes sense. Played well in SPL, moved to better league and after settling in looking good for mid table Serie A club so sort of quality we need. Think he can play either FB position so could slot in at LB ahead of Targett (as he's scored a few recently so better going forward) and could also cover at RB on occasions.

IIRC he was also on our radar summer 2020.

• Like 1

Digne out of favour at Everton aswell. Perhaps he might be too old and he hasn't been that good for Everton but in recent seasons I'd have called him one of best LBs in prem so that's one I'd look at if we wanted an experienced option for say next 18 months.

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Digne out of favour at Everton aswell. Perhaps he might be too old and he hasn't been that good for Everton but in recent seasons I'd have called him one of best LBs in prem so that's one I'd look at if we wanted an experienced option for say next 18 months.

I can see Digne being drafted in by Chelsea on loan as cover for Chilwell who is out for the season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Its a controversial view! What references are you using? I don't think many English born centre backs are better than them. White was £50m, Stones was £45m, Maguire was £75m (i think). I'm not convinced they are better. We'd have to go abroad I'd imagine to upgrade?