January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Because we’ve played half a season, Bailey is still injured for another 4 weeks according to Gary Mac and who knows how long after that and Traore is at AFCON.  Buendia is struggling despite how many games he’s played and Ings and Watkins are out of form and not really creators.

Reducing playing time of others

• take pressure off those not performing at the moment
  • might provide a spark that nobody in the front line has had this season
  • covers injuries, AFCON and any future Covid issues
  • we desperately need some creativity and partly why our xG is so low

probably more but I’m watching Newc v Man U game so not totally focused.  A loan signing may not work but additional options for Gerrard can only be good when after half a season the current attacking third is struggling.  We just struggle to look like scoring…

Worst case scenario for a loan signing is that he doesn’t play and cost us a bit of money…not exactly the end of the world.  Just feel our attacking third is struggling and something needs to change/improve and it doesn’t look likely with the current players…

We have only played 7 games under this manager. It is clearly very different to the games under the previous manager. P7W4. the losses against City, Liverpool and Chelsea. We need to give Gerrard time with these players and equally we need to give our players time with Gerrard. It would be counterproductive to add a loan player in during Jan which would possibly put the brakes on the development of our players. We have enough attacking players even taking the AFCON into account to see us through to the summer. The focus should be in FB and CB. Ideally we could get Axel back to Utd and put our time and effort into a Villa player and bring in much needed backup for Targett.

Worst case scenario for a loan signing is that he doesn’t play and cost us a bit of money

The worst case scenario for a loan signing is that he does play, he doesn't positively influence our finishing position and he takes valuable minutes from one of our players or a youth player getting an opportunity to make the step up

Edited by Peter Griffin
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Worst case scenario for a loan signing is that he doesn’t play and cost us a bit of money

The worst case scenario for a loan signing is that he does play, he doesn't positively influence our finishing position and he takes valuable minutes from one of our players or a youth player getting an opportunity to make the step up

So you don’t trust Gerrard to play the right players?

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

We have only played 7 games under this manager. It is clearly very different to the games under the previous manager. P7W4

Agreed on the wins but our xG is lower under Gerrard

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

We need to give Gerrard time with these players and equally we need to give our players time with Gerrard. It would be counterproductive to add a loan player in during Jan which would possibly put the brakes on the development of our players. We have enough attacking players even taking the AFCON into account to see us through to the summer.

You do realise it’s not my choice or yours? I was just saying Gerrard/Club may feel they need another option up front given the issues.  Literally our attacking third, player by player has been below par all season…Gerrard might feel something different may help.  I have no issue if Gerrard doesn’t want anymore in the final third, I was just saying we are struggling up there and it doesn’t seem to be changing and it’s unlikely we’ll continue to keep outperforming our xG….so a worry.

9 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The focus should be in FB and CB. Ideally we could get Axel back to Utd and put our time and effort into a Villa player and bring in much needed backup for Targett.

I don’t disagree about FB.  Interesting to see what we do about CB, if we do nothing then we’ll be fine because they are only likely to be back up.  Have a feeling they will be looking to upgrade on Targett given comments and links.

I think you’re missing DCM, still think that’ll be in Gerrard’s mind even though Nakamba’s form before injury.  Whether January there will be an opportunity, we don’t know.

All that doesn’t mean we can’t look at the attacking third if the right deal is there whether loan or purchase.  I’m guessing we’ll be seeing more surprises from Gerrard and co in the next couple of windows because he’ll have his own ideas and we haven’t had chance to see them yet.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:
18 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

So you don’t trust Gerrard to play the right players?

That reply is just stupid as there is nothing in what I said to suggest that. Try playing the ball and not the player. Good night, no point in continuing this discussion

1 minute ago, Peter Griffin said:

That reply is just stupid as there is nothing in what I said to suggest that. Try playing the ball and not the player. Good night, no point in continuing this discussion

It’s exactly what you inferred…you basically said Gerrard would pick a player that doesn’t make a difference and that takes the chance from a youth player.  It’s the only takeaway you can take from your comment.  I’m sorry you dug yourself a hole there.

I thought we were having a good debate and I assume you agree with my other points then.  Enjoy the rest of your evening!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

It’s exactly what you inferred…you basically said Gerrard would pick a player that doesn’t make a difference and that takes the chance from a youth player.  It’s the only takeaway you can take from your comment.  I’m sorry you dug yourself a hole there.

I thought we were having a good debate and I assume you agree with my other points then.  Enjoy the rest of your evening!

Now u are just making stuff up,. total BS. Good night. I have better things to do with my time 

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Now u are just making stuff up,. total BS. Good night. I have better things to do with my time 

So explain what you meant.  If I read it like that then others will and surely it’s better to explain it if that isn’t the case.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In some ways, I think this season, we remind me of West Ham last season ( And season before ? ), when it seems they bought some very good players, who were all performing under par.

They then loaned Lingaard, who was brilliant, confidence started flowing, they had to get rid of 1 or 2 expensive " flops " and then found their feet, with previously under performing players seeming to finally come good.

I think we need to have patience with some of our signings and manager.

Like it or not, we are very much in a transition period.

I agree and my original thought was a spark like Lingard gave to West Ham.  High percentage we’d never have a reaction like that from a loan but we don’t have a spark internally at the moment in the attacking third so maybe a short term spark might help if there was an option out there.  Sometimes you need a bit of help maybe we can get that internally who knows I’m just not seeing it at the moment.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In some ways, I think this season, we remind me of West Ham last season ( And season before ? ), when it seems they bought some very good players, who were all performing under par.

They then loaned Lingaard, who was brilliant, confidence started flowing, they had to get rid of 1 or 2 expensive " flops " and then found their feet, with previously under performing players seeming to finally come good.

We'll only likely have to overpay for anyone we get in.  I'm happy to see this season out with what we have then spend bigger in the Summer when Steve has had a good look at the squad. 

OK if someone perfect is available for the right price but let's face it that's unlikely. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I agree and my original thought was a spark like Lingard gave to West Ham.  High percentage we’d never have a reaction like that from a loan but we don’t have a spark internally at the moment in the attacking third so maybe a short term spark might help if there was an option out there.  Sometimes you need a bit of help maybe we can get that internally who knows I’m just not seeing it at the moment.

I think we have the player there in Bailey, we just need to get him fit and stay fit, that's why I don't see the club going for the loan.

It's obvious the balance isn't right across the front, but how much of it has been down to injury and no consistency?

• Like 3

Is it me or do we seem to be lacking physically in a lot of games. The ones against the likes of West Ham, Chelsea the other evening & the Watfords of this World? We seem to have a lot of players who are very easily knocked off the ball.

I feel Elghazi, Traore, Buendia, & a few others are constantly struggling to keep the ball when in good positions purely down to lack of strength. The other night Chelsea bullied us all over the pitch in that second half. Watkins & Ings, Elghazi, Buendia & even Mings, Konsa & Cash were very often second best in their personal battles physically. Even Chuk got the same when he came on but you can expect that with his age of course so thats nothing against him. I thought of our players Sanson, Luiz & Targett stood their ground reasonably well but the rest lost their battles for me. Especially in that second half. I know it's Chelski & they cost ££££££'s but i don't see why our players should be outmuscled as easily. It was so easy for Chelsea to defend us in that game, they were simply too strong for us from what I saw & it needs to change. 

So a few tough nuts to balance the team would be a good shout in my view and i still feel we need a true Captain to stop these half arsed periods we see in games too often.

Someone that hasn't been mentioned is Lucas Digne at Everton. Clear upgrade on Targett and clearly on his way out of Everton.

That's the sort of calibre of player we should be targeting, and for me Targett is one of the first players in the starting 11 I'd look to upgrade if we're going to get better.

Cucurella at Brighton is another that would be an upgrade but not gonna happen in January.

We needed another holding midfielder regardless, but we need one even more now Nakamba is injured. 

Attack-wise, lots of players have underperformed or been injured (Ings, Watkins, Buendia, Bailey, Traore) but I reckon the quality is there and defensive positions need fixing more.

If we signed 2 quality players to come straight into the first team next month at DM and LB we'd have had a very good window. But we need proven quality and not the lazy links of players from Rangers who would only make the squad even more bloated than it already is.

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Maybe we should also try and loan Lingaard :)

14 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Someone that hasn't been mentioned is Lucas Digne at Everton. Clear upgrade on Targett and clearly on his way out of Everton.

That's the sort of calibre of player we should be targeting, and for me Targett is one of the first players in the starting 11 I'd look to upgrade if we're going to get better.

Cucurella at Brighton is another that would be an upgrade but not gonna happen in January.

We needed another holding midfielder regardless, but we need one even more now Nakamba is injured. 

Attack-wise, lots of players have underperformed or been injured (Ings, Watkins, Buendia, Bailey, Traore) but I reckon the quality is there and defensive positions need fixing more.

If we signed 2 quality players to come straight into the first team next month at DM and LB we'd have had a very good window. But we need proven quality and not the lazy links of players from Rangers who would only make the squad even more bloated than it already is.

Digne is reportedly on £120k/week and will demand much more than that with his new contract.  Ings is currently our highest paid player and is supposedly on a similar amount as it is...