January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

56 minutes ago, paul514 said:

You need two players for a position for a start.

Cash is good as is Targett but they aren’t elite level full backs and neither has competition.

ideally we would purchase a youngster with the potential to be an elite level full back for where we find ourselves at the moment.

he also hasn’t been our best player this season, Martinez, Konsa, Luis, McGinn and Watkins have all been better.

Cash is just sharpening his final ball away from being one of the best full backs in Europe. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I normally would baulk at the suggestion of a Liverpool cast off but if Neco Williams was available for a reasonable fee then he would suit us, really impressed me playing for Wales this year at LWB, like a poor mans Spinazzola for them. Has the scope to improve further too.

Wasn't he the guy who got absolutely mugged off by Louie Barry when he scored against them?

If we're taking a young left back off a better side we could do a lot worse than to go for Luke Thomas at Leicester.

Would prefer that over Neco Williams, who is a RB even if he has played LB.

If we're taking a RB who can cover LB, I'd go for Max Aarons at Norwich. Or Trippier, but old and doubt we can afford.

Edited by HalfTimePost

2 hours ago, PeterSw said:

Perhaps now that another Frenchman in Sanson here, it might help him settle a bit more?

Sanson was here in the pre season, Guilbert  is 27 he isn’t going to improve much more, I’m all for Gerrard giving him a chance to prove himself though, but can’t see him staying long term as there will be better options in Kessler or someone else coming in.

We can't upgrade everywhere all at once.  Keeping Guilbert will allow delaying the expenditure of funds on a RB for a year or two so the money can be spent elsewhere.   If Kesler is ready to be a backup or challenge for the first 11 in 18 months we've saved a lot of money.   If not, look at an upgrade on Cash at that time.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

We can't upgrade everywhere all at once.  Keeping Guilbert will allow delaying the expenditure of funds on a RB for a year or two so the money can be spent elsewhere.   If Kesler is ready to be a backup or challenge for the first 11 in 18 months we've saved a lot of money.   If not, look at an upgrade on Cash at that time.

So Ash has a two year deal (year and a half remaining) and also plays RB. Then Kessler is looking very good and needs to be given a chance. So I think we can wait a year there. Re-visit it Jan 23 or summer 23.

Left back and DM for me are the main priorities. Then if we sell two of El-Ghazi, Trezguet, or Traore, a left winger of real quality. Oh and in the summer we will probably need 2 centre backs. Tuanzebe's loan finishes and Hause's contract expires. Might be wise to get one in this Jan window.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

If we're taking a young left back off a better side we could do a lot worse than to go for Luke Thomas at Leicester.

Would prefer that over Neco Williams, who is a RB even if he has played LB.

If we're taking a RB who can cover LB, I'd go for Max Aarons at Norwich. Or Trippier, but old and doubt we can afford.

Max Aarons wouldn't sign for a club without being promised to start as first choice.

We should have went for a player like Liveramento last summer.

2 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Are there any good players in the Championship nowadays? We've had Watkins, Benrahma, Buendia, Eze, Webster etc all going for large fees, but now it seems to have dried up a bit, or are there any down there to look at? 

Buendia was sold just this summer gone? Hardly dried up when there hasn’t been a window since lol. 

Brereton Diaz will go this window for decent money btw. 

Edited by Steero113

1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Are there any good players in the Championship nowadays? We've had Watkins, Benrahma, Buendia, Eze, Webster etc all going for large fees, but now it seems to have dried up a bit, or are there any down there to look at?

It's because two of the top 3 scorers are Mitrovic and Solanke. Who've kind of had their moment of either being in the Prem or discussed over 2-3 seasons already so there's no hot star.

Brereton would be next (2nd top scorer) but his contract ends I the summer so likely won't go for the same types of fees this Jan you mentioned the others going for. (To be honest, we could do worse if we're looking like moving on AEG and Trez)

In terms of assists, we were linked to John Swift in the summer and he leads the pack at 9. (Joint with Giles from Cardiff).

I do see what you mean. But so.many good players have come from that league there would be a quieter period eventually. But also, many players that we'll all be going mad for may only just be about to find their feet. Our 10 game winning streak and the massive rise of Grealish started in the second half of the season. There'll be somebody that takes the league by storm over the next few months that we're all desperate for.

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Cash is just sharpening his final ball away from being one of the best full backs in Europe. 

Defensively, he is exceptional.  Going forward?  Cash is mediocre at best...  Crossing is poor, finishing is horrific, dribbling is non-existent, and doesn't have elite speed/acceleration.  

Cash and Gilbert next season for RB.

For a reality check on Kessler go spend a bit of time on the Swindon forum - I spent a chunk of my formative years there so still have some friends who are season ticket holders too. Started well and is considered a good League Two player, but not MOTM in any recent game and is viewed by some as "not a guaranteed starter". If this was a Sutton Utd loanee from Wolves with that feedback and we signed him, I doubt many would be saying he deserves a shot at the first team...

Gilbert is literally leagues ahead of him.

• Thanks 2

If Wolves had a right-back on loan at Sutton United that in the previous season had captained Wolves to the FA Youth Cup whilst being one of the standout players, was an England youth international, then this season was getting regular game time as a nineteen year old at a Football League club, and if were then to sign that player I'm pretty sure we'd view him as someone that could potentially deputize for Cash.

I think we have to be careful not to judge our loan players on things like whoscored ratings, how many man of the matches they've won, and what fans of the clubs they're on loan to are saying about them - on that last one you only have to look at some of the comments on this forum about our players to see it's true, the likes of Watkins, Mings, Luiz, McGinn, no strangers to unfair criticisim - besides I've looked on Swindon forums and then fans on twitter and see Kesler-Hyaden getting a lot of praise, the main criticisim seems to be his final ball.

On him not being a guaranteed starter, their manager seems to disagree as he starts every game for them, which is no small feat for a player who was still eighteen until a few months back and playing in a defensive position.

By the same token I think we have to be careful not to overrated Guilbert based on whoscored ratings or similar, he was rated as one of the best right-backs in France when we signed him, but that didn't translate to his performances for us, if he was to return he'd most probably be the same player he was under Smith, be that a good thing or a bad thing. Also he's leagues ahead of Kesler-Hayden because he's seven years older than him.

Kesler-Hayden might not be ready for a our first team for a while yet, might need another loan or two working his way up the divisions, but I don't think we should underestimate how well he's done, he has fantastic potential and is one of our most highly rated youngsters for a reason and we also gave him a five year contract for a reason.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Cash and Gilbert next season for RB.

For a reality check on Kessler go spend a bit of time on the Swindon forum - I spent a chunk of my formative years there so still have some friends who are season ticket holders too. Started well and is considered a good League Two player, but not MOTM in any recent game and is viewed by some as "not a guaranteed starter". If this was a Sutton Utd loanee from Wolves with that feedback and we signed him, I doubt many would be saying he deserves a shot at the first team...

Gilbert is literally leagues ahead of him.

Yeah, agreed. I think people on here have been exaggerating how good he's actually been there.

And even if he is doing very well, it is a massive difference between doing well at league 2 level and doing well at PL level. It'll probably take a couple more years for him to get to that level, if he even does.

As a comparison, Grealish was tearing it up in league 1 the season before he started playing significantly for us. A level above Kessler and he's one of the most talented players we've ever had. I doubt Kessler will be able to make the same step up in the same amount of time.

Edited by Laughable Chimp