Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

21 hours ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Took my 10 year old daughter to the game, her first ever Villa match. She couldn’t believe the atmosphere and can’t wait to go again.

Slightly awkward explaining to her the lyrics of My Old Man, but at least she was prepared for what was coming with Sweet Caroline at the end, as she’d heard my booze fuelled brother belting out the “**** the Blues” mix the weekend before.

Hearing a few naughty  words doesn’t hurt kids , especially at the footy. I don’t hold back when I’m at the villa, and my lad can’t stop giggling at people F’ing this and that . 

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Hearing a few naughty  words doesn’t hurt kids , especially at the footy. I don’t hold back when I’m at the villa, and my lad can’t stop giggling at people F’ing this and that . 

I took my 13 yr old daughter to the Newcastle game - her first at Villa Park - she loved it.  On the way back to the car she said "Dad, what's a rocket polisher?" 😀

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Absolutely agree, and she often hears me swear when I’m driving. Although I must admit she hasn’t heard me say “b****cks you’re a ****” before.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

Absolutely agree, and she often hears me swear when I’m driving. Although I must admit she hasn’t heard me say “b****cks you’re a ****” before.

I don’t swear a lot usually but a few years back I let out a barrage of expletives in front of my young daughters while stuck in a traffic jam. Some idiot had blocked the road causing a big tailback and traffic was at a standstill. I had forgotten my daughters were sitting quietly in the back. I realised my error of my ways when they told me off for swearing, to make it worse as we finally got through the traffic I saw the hold up was caused by a Father Christmas being towed around town by The Rotary Club collecting money. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Safe Standing gets go ahead

Clubs in the Premier League and Championship will be able to offer licensed standing areas from January 1 next year as part of a pilot programme.

The Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA) set out the plans in a statement on Wednesday.

The introduction of designated safe standing areas would mean an end to the blanket ban on standing in the top two divisions of English football which has been in place for over 25 years.

Clubs must apply to be part of the ‘early adopter’ programme by October 6, and if approved will be able to operate a licensed standing area from New Year’s Day until the end of the season.

The SGSA said the project would be independently evaluated, with all other areas of the stadia remaining all-seater.

Standing areas in what is now the Premier League and Championship were outlawed by legislation passed in the wake of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster, which led to the deaths of 97 Liverpool fans.

The introduction of the licensed standing areas follows a commitment by the Government in its 2019 General Election manifesto, and it is a move which has cross-party support.

Sports minister Nigel Huddleston said: “We have been clear that we will work with fans and clubs towards introducing safe standing at football grounds providing there was evidence that installing seating with barriers would have a positive impact on crowd safety.

“With independent research now complete, and capacity crowds back at grounds across the country, now is the right time to make progress. I look forward to hearing from clubs who wish to be part of our early adopters programme during the second half of this season.”

Clubs must meet a range of criteria in order to gain approval.

These include having the necessary infrastructure in both home and away areas of their stadium, allowing fans to sit or stand in the standing areas with the seats not locked in the ‘up’ or ‘down’ position, ensuring the areas do not impact on the view for other fans including those with disabilities, providing a code of conduct for standing fans and consulting with the relevant Safety Advisory Group.

==========================================================================================================================================

I know this has been discussed amongst fan groups for a few years now, going back as far as the Lerner days but it looks like some movement has been made in making this becoming a possibility. I wonder if this is an option the club will look at taking up this season or in future? It will probably help with the generation of atmosphere (not that ours is bad from my experience) as well as allowing a small increase in the attendance figures. I may be wrong but I imagine it would be best to trial it in the Lower North Stand which is apparently a little cramped for seating. I guess we may not be able to this season though as we have 30k worth of season ticket holders so it is doubtful we would have a spot where these terraces could be installed without moving a load of season ticket holders mid season which isn't ideal.

• 4 weeks later...

Couldn't hear it through the TV but what was the nervous energy like at 2-0 and then especially at 2-1?

How many fans "knew what was going to happen before it did" ? 

And then we can have the argument as to whether or not that's part of the problem 

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What’s going on? 2-0 up and all you can hear are the Wolves fans. So much for the 12th man.  

This just isn’t true. Atmosphere from when we scored up to the point they got it back to 2-1 was pretty good and the wolves fans were very quiet.

The shift after the first Wolves goal was noticeable as you’d expect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

This just isn’t true. Atmosphere from when we scored up to the point they got it back to 2-1 was pretty good and the wolves fans were very quiet.

The shift after the first Wolves goal was noticeable as you’d expect.

Fair enough. I think the players felt it too. 

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

What’s going on? 2-0 up and all you can hear are the Wolves fans. So much for the 12th man.  

Errrr.  No, that's not what happened at all. 

The whole ground was dead from the kick off till we scored.  Us and Wovles were very quiet.  The only time I heard them singing was a burst of "is this a library" which was retaliated to by Villa. 

The teams were also very lacklustre. I commented at half time that the performance and the atmosphere was like a friendly, not a local derby. 

Then in true sing when you're winning style we perked up after both goals.  I don't remember any time when all you could hear was them at 2 nil. 

You must have missed the are you Albion in disguise song? 2 nil on your big day out etc etc. 

Obviously they also perked up after their goal and went into carnage mode after the equaliser and winner as you would expect. 

At least that was my perspective from The Lower Holte. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

The whole ground was dead from the kick off till we scored.  Us and Wovles were very quiet.  The only time I heard them singing was a burst of "is this a library" which was retaliated to by Villa. 

The teams were also very lacklustre. I commented at half time that the performance and the atmosphere was like a friendly, not a local derby. 

Then in true sing when you're winning style we perked up after both goals.  I don't remember any time when all you could hear was them at 2 nil. 

You must have missed the are you Albion in disguise song? 2 nil on your big day out etc etc. 

Obviously they also perked up after their goal and went into carnage mode after the equaliser and winner as you would expect. 

Sorry mate, I’m only judging from the TV as I’m isolating. Apologies if got it wrong.

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

From the Upper Holte, just before the game and at the start of the game it was loud then probably from 15-20 mins was quieter until really the second half and we scored and then quite loud until they scored.  My view anyway!

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sorry mate, I’m only judging from the TV as I’m isolating. Apologies if got it wrong.

TV is always misleading as they have microphones in front of the crowd. Often they pick up noise (and I'm pretty sure they amplify it) that isn't even noticeable from the other side of the ground.  Similarly I've heard our fans on telly sounding really loud when it didn't seem especially loud in the ground. 

• Like 1

Â