Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

On 30/10/2023 at 12:11, VillaChris said:

One thing I don't really like is the PA being told to start overhyping the goal scorers names when we score. Is there really any need for it, it's something you'd expect to hear at Palace or Reading.

Dave Boulton has been doing our PA since I think the early 90s so he's been in the job a long old while and clearly knows what he's doing so bit sad if someone at the club told him during the summer to dramatically alter his style just to appeal to our younger fanbase.

The "Yipeee yay ay" he did just before kick off yesterday sounded as forced as you could get and just had people around me looking aghast.

I actually don't mind that.  I agree that it's probably something that has come down from boardroom level and while it's easy to roll your eyes at 'prescribed fun' I feel enough people will buy into it for it to have a positive impact on the atmosphere in the areas of Villa Park that aren't called the Holte End.  

Watching the Newcastle/Arsenal game, the atmosphere is something i wish we had at Villa park regularly.

I watched a Luton fan video of the Villa/Luton game, and they commented how surprised they were at the Library type atmosphere at Villa Park.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Watching the Newcastle/Arsenal game, the atmosphere is something i wish we had at Villa park regularly.

I watched a Luton fan video of the Villa/Luton game, and they commented how surprised they were at the Library type atmosphere at Villa Park.

It’s a Saturday evening versus a Sunday afternoon.  Let’s face it. Alcohol makes the atmosphere. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 4

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s a Saturday evening versus a Sunday afternoon.  Let’s face it. Alcohol makes the atmosphere. 

maybe, but i do think the Villa park atmosphere can leave a lot to be desired, a lot of the time.

32 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

They commented how surprised they were at the Library type atmosphere at Villa Park.

Why were they surprised, it was like watching a training match. We went ahead and they still kept 11 men in their own half. It was barely a game of football at all. There's no chance of an atmosphere at a game like that. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I’ve had the radio on all afternoon. The Everton game the atmos sounded excellent. The Newcastle one sounds “ok”. A lot of what we hear on the tv and radio is down to sound engineers and fading up and down. It’s only really in the ground yourself you get a truer, er, picture of the atmosphere. In terms of VP (or anywhere) an early kick off in an attack v defence type game like Luton was, and where patience is also a factor in the fans support, a more contented, but relatively quiet atmosphere is preferable to a louder but irritated and frustrated atmosphere which has been the case at times under previous managers, for example.  I think we shouldn’t worry ourselves about stuff like comparing atmosphere anyway, because fans are basically all the same anywhere.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, blandy said:

A lot of what we hear on the tv and radio is down to sound engineers and fading up and down. It’s only really in the ground yourself you get a truer, er, picture of the atmosphere. 

Sky sports have been faking crowd noise for years. Commentators also told to comment on how great the atmosphere is at every game. It's all about marketing the league and getting people to pay their monthly sky bill. 

• Like 1

On 31/10/2023 at 09:53, Villatillidie95 said:

The one thing I notice that is a lot different now from our championship days, especially when we went on that amazing unbeaten run, is people are desperate to exit as soon as the final whistle has gone. Before a lot of people used to stay for a rendition of hi Ho Aston Villa but now I find I’m often the only one left in my row on north stand upper 😂 I still belt it out even though I feel a lot of eyes trained on me as their walking up the steps in front of me haha 

In the Championship days there were 32k and I had no son so I stayed until every player was off the pitch then had a stroll back to the car whilst the traffic cleared up.

Now there's 42k and I have a son I literally leave on the whistle (never before) and haul ass to my car because that's the difference of spending a few hours with my son before he's in bed or sitting in traffic for 2 hours.

Something needs to be done.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, blandy said:

I’ve had the radio on all afternoon. The Everton game the atmos sounded excellent. The Newcastle one sounds “ok”. A lot of what we hear on the tv and radio is down to sound engineers and fading up and down. It’s only really in the ground yourself you get a truer, er, picture of the atmosphere. In terms of VP (or anywhere) an early kick off in an attack v defence type game like Luton was, and where patience is also a factor in the fans support, a more contented, but relatively quiet atmosphere is preferable to a louder but irritated and frustrated atmosphere which has been the case at times under previous managers, for example.  I think we shouldn’t worry ourselves about stuff like comparing atmosphere anyway, because fans are basically all the same anywhere.

Funny enough, I was away for the weekend last week and watched the Luton game on the telly and the atmosphere seemed good

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Rubbish atmosphere until we scored again. I think the Holte is deffo suffering from the corporate invasion.

I have a feeling the number of non-corporates on the Holte is still enough to fill Bournemouth’s ground and leave some outside.  If the atmosphere is bad, corporate hospitality is not the reason in my view.

• Like 1

Much like other English grounds, games at VP are a family occasion.

Which is great, kids should enjoy football with their families.

What would fix the issue of well, a family picnic atmosphere, is a small ultras group in the lower North, or preferably lower Holte as North will be closing. Get that jumping up and down all game, get people singing and chanting. Get some flags etc. 

If someone wants to have their pie in witton or trinity, no issue with that. But let's get 2k fans who like to get a bit warmer in the winter months. 

Do we have any Project B6 representatives on the forum?  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Rubbish atmosphere until we scored again. I think the Holte is deffo suffering from the corporate invasion.

Not true, before the Corporate Expansion I was at a Home game last season and the atmosphere was poor.

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

A lot of excuses on here why our atmosphere is poor . I honestly think it’s because we are not a very loud fanbase at home and this has been going on for years now. We are just shit at getting behind the team .

Agreed.

I was at the Wet Spam game last month and they were singing about us being so quiet. It was only when we got into a winning position that we started making a lot of noise. Sing when you are winning and all that...

26 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Much like other English grounds, games at VP are a family occasion.

Which is great, kids should enjoy football with their families.

What would fix the issue of well, a family picnic atmosphere, is a small ultras group in the lower North, or preferably lower Holte as North will be closing. Get that jumping up and down all game, get people singing and chanting. Get some flags etc. 

If someone wants to have their pie in witton or trinity, no issue with that. But let's get 2k fans who like to get a bit warmer in the winter months. 

Do we have any Project B6 representatives on the forum?  

I've thought that the Holte atmosphere, and subsequently the grounds atmosphere hasn't been as good since we have had a lot of vocal fans now down in the lower north by the away fans, so since that changed about 15 to 20 years ago. As I think that was a lot of the vocal fans from the holte end that moved. I think there has also been a lot more vocal fans spread further around the ground in recent years, maybe because of cheaper seats, rather than being in the holte end.

It's kind of backed up by the fact that all parts of the stadium now sing when the atmosphere is good. When I was a kid and i sat near the tunnel in the lower trinity, I just used to watch and listen to the holte end for songs and atmosphere, as next to no one sang in the trinity back then. 

I was in my normal seat last night in upper Holte surrounded by people I have never seen before rather than the usual rabble...😉

It did seemed quieter, is there a sense of entitlement creeping in?

Approaching the Holte end yesterday I looked up to the terrace view and it looked like there were chandeliers inside....meanwhile with the riff raff I had to stand juggling a cup of tea with one hand and a tray of hideous chips in the other............I think I have strayed off topic ☺

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â