Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I sat in the family stand yesterday and whilst the atmosphere was good I still can’t for the life of me understand how grown men feel they can swear and use word like word removed throughout a game when they are surrounded by kids. 

At one point someone had a word with one of the guys and he apologised but 10 minutes later when the Holte end started singing a song with swearing in it I heard him shout you going to tell that lot off too!

Really ??

Anyway that aside I thought the atmosphere was great yesterday and my daughter loved it too.

I was in north stand upper with my lad who’s 11. I was doing some  effing and blinding when we’d lost our heads after they scored. Not because I think it’s cool or anything but because my emotions had got the better of me and I could not believe how bad we were. I have no issue with swearing at the football kids or not close by. I swear at home sometimes, swear at work a lot swear at the football a bit, I guess I just swear more than your average person. People have apologised to me at the game when they have swore and seen my lad with me , I tell them don’t be daft it’s no problem, but each to their own. 

7 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

i feel the same and i think its something club should enforce.

If youve gone to the trouble of going into a family friendly stand, then language and anger needs to be moderated. If the club is serious about attracting a different fan base, this is important to fix. 

Else they will simply keep adjusting to price until theyve removed the groups that they want to.

I don’t think anything needs fixing regarding this. It’s a football game you’re going to hear swearing, but you will hear less in the family stand , but no action should be taken against those who swear.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I was in north stand upper with my lad who’s 11. I was doing some  effing and blinding when we’d lost our heads after they scored. Not because I think it’s cool or anything but because my emotions had got the better of me and I could not believe how bad we were. I have no issue with swearing at the football kids or not close by. I swear at home sometimes, swear at work a lot swear at the football a bit, I guess I just swear more than your average person. People have apologised to me at the game when they have swore and seen my lad with me , I tell them don’t be daft it’s no problem, but each to their own. 

You’re in the north stand. Swear away. In fact swear and be angry as much as you want throughout the ground.  But surely people can refrain from it or at least minimise it in the 2 poxy corner stands called the ‘family stand’ ? Otherwise what’s the point of having the stand ?

FWIW it didn’t bother me that much but I could see people around me not wanted their child to continually hear the c word.  One even asked one of them to stop it and got mocked for it. 

It’s poor behaviour around kids in my opinion but as you said, each to their own.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

same myself, I hardly ever **** swear. I mean you have to be a total word removed to swear in front of children. **** off you words removed I say to the people who do so, no **** need for it, bunch of clearings in the woods 

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t expect it to be at that level in the family stand and tbf it’s never been like that before. 

The rest of the ground go nuts. 

Maybe it’s just me.

I kind of agree with you but if most of the ground is singing that "you've seen the Villa, now f*** off home", after each goal, it doesn't really matter where you sit. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You’re in the north stand. Swear away. In fact swear and be angry as much as you want throughout the ground.  But surely people can refrain from it or at least minimise it in the 2 poxy corner stands called the ‘family stand’ ? Otherwise what’s the point of having the stand ?

FWIW it didn’t bother me that much but I could see people around me not wanted their child to continually hear the c word.  One even asked one of them to stop it and got mocked for it. 

It’s poor behaviour around kids in my opinion but as you said, each to their own.

From experience of having a ten year who has had a season ticket since the age of five and has had season tickets in Lower North, lower holte and family stand, there is zero difference in your exposure to obscene chanting, language across the 3 stands. It's all exactly the same. People sing F*** the albion in every row of every block of every stand, rightly or wrongly. As I found out in the playoff semi. Haha.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I kind of agree with you but if most of the ground is singing that "you've seen the Villa, now f*** off home", after each goal, it doesn't really matter where you sit. 

This might just be me but I really can’t stand that chant, it’s even worse than chanting “who are ya, who are ya, who are ya!” After we score. There’s no wit to it, and it makes us sound like dick heads, in my opinion. 

Otherwise, I’ve always been a fan of swearing. Sometimes a well placed F or C are the only words that provide the emotional emphasis and do a situation justice. I’d be mindful in a family area though and wouldn’t personally swear there, but elsewhere, if it just comes out, then duck it.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, turvontour said:

From experience of having a ten year who has had a season ticket since the age of five and has had season tickets in Lower North, lower holte and family stand, there is zero difference in your exposure to obscene chanting, language across the 3 stands. It's all exactly the same. People sing F*** the albion in every row of every block of every stand, rightly or wrongly. As I found out in the playoff semi. Haha.

Yeh I’m thinking to just sit back in the Doug Ellis when I take my kid as the view is much better.

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

This might just be me but I really can’t stand that chant, it’s even worse than chanting “who are ya, who are ya, who are ya!” After we score. There’s no wit to it, and it makes us sound like dick heads, in my opinion. 

Otherwise, I’ve always been a fan of swearing. Sometimes a well placed F or C are the only words that provide the emotional emphasis and do a situation justice. I’d be mindful in a family area though and wouldn’t personally swear there, but elsewhere, if it just comes out, then duck it.  

I really don't mind who are you but I can't stand the you've seen the Villa chant.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The C word is a word I rarely use and don’t use at at footy games . For some reason it seems a lot worse than the F word 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Fine line here, but that’s what football crowds are. You don’t want a placid crowd, you want the ref and linesman to feel the wrath , or one of their players to gets dogs abuse. You want the fans screaming and shouting and making it hostile. Some kids may not like it but some thrive on that kind of atmosphere. It’s what makes football fans different we show anger and anger when used positively can change the atmosphere on a dime and turn a game around. Sometimes when you’ve had a shit week you go the game and let it all out.  There is a line I agree but I’d prefer an hostile atmosphere every other week compared to the subdued atmosphere.

Dont think I agree. Everyone shouting and screaming at a player doesn't make for a great atmosphere to play in. My favourite atmospheres have always been supportive not aggressive. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

There is a line I agree but I’d prefer an hostile atmosphere every other week compared to the subdued atmosphere.

100% making it hostile for opponents is far better than silence. If it's screaming at our own players then it needs to be encouragement. A bit of both I'd say creates the best atmosphere. We've been far too passive over the years at VP letting teams come to VP and have their way. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Dont think I agree. Everyone shouting and screaming at a player doesn't make for a great atmosphere to play in. My favourite atmospheres have always been supportive not aggressive. 

I get that which is fair enough. Everyone’s different I suppose. 

One thing I don't really like is the PA being told to start overhyping the goal scorers names when we score. Is there really any need for it, it's something you'd expect to hear at Palace or Reading.

Dave Boulton has been doing our PA since I think the early 90s so he's been in the job a long old while and clearly knows what he's doing so bit sad if someone at the club told him during the summer to dramatically alter his style just to appeal to our younger fanbase.

The "Yipeee yay ay" he did just before kick off yesterday sounded as forced as you could get and just had people around me looking aghast.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

Think its shocking that half the Witton is almost empty with 10 minutes+ left on the best run in the clubs history in generations! 

Dunno about shocking. I left a full time and it took me nearly 2 hours to get home and over an hour of that was trying to get out of the surrounding roads. I only live 30 minutes away. 
I never leave early but it wasn’t a nail biter, a crucial game or going to the final kick. I get why people might want to miss the last 5 minutes of the game which might reduce their journey time by 30 minutes. 
The players weren’t hanging round on the pitch for ages after either, no disrespect to Luton but it was just a routine win. 

• Like 1

Â