Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

20 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Going back to 2010 when I had a season ticket too in those days.

Okay, your seat at the stadium was paid for. But, There's also, return train fare, food and beer for the journey. Food, beer and programme at the ground pre kick off, Food and beers at half time, Food and beer for the train journey back plus taxi from station home - rarely a visit to the club shop.

Back then.. I would set aside £200 every time we had a home game to cover those extra expenses each game.

That was over 13 years ago when I was single and had no kids either.

I dare say nowadays it would require close £300 to do exact same thing?

Nowadays, I cannot justify spending anywhere that sort of money each game on top of being a season ticket holder at these current prices. Plus, having my 12yr little Villan in tow too who basically spends what used to be the beer money.

So I agree with you. Coinciding with our slow successful progress on the pitch, we're becoming a very expensive hobbie to pursue in today's way of living.

Sounds exactly like me, for 5 years every home game we would be out the door by 10am and I’d crawl in the early hours. My body and wallet couldn’t take it anymore 😂

Fortunately the arrival of McCleish and moving abroad made it an easy decision to drop the ST.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

The one I would say English football has over European football is we ebb and flow with the game, we've got the come on roar when there's a counter or win a corner etc the organised legia guy just cracks on for 90 minutes regardless

Yes but that’s the atmosphere that everyone has been praising. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If it worked it would be, if it was organised and then people bought in to it, if you had the guy with the microphone orchestrating it... Instead you have a flat crowd and the drummer tries to get somethibg going and it's just noise

The structure isn't there in an English crowd to make the drummer effective imo

That’s probably true. Sadly. 

Watching it from home the atmosphere at Legia sounded good but I felt that the prolonged noise made the cheer when they scored much less pronounced. The cheers kinda gets lost among the other noise.

I quite like that shared “Ah is this on…uh…uhh…YESSSSSS!!!” nervous build up leading to jubilation from the crowd. 

That being said I think the atmospheres at premier league grounds probably aren’t as great. We have got used to being back in the top flight. We can do it but I think we typically need feel we’re up against something particular to rally against it. 

And the cost play its part.

I don’t know what the answer is, I don’t like the idea of someone banging a drum but I’m not sure why I don’t mind someone banging the back of the Holte essentially acting as a drum. Probably feels less forced, more anarchic and natural. Kinda similar to the idea of song sheets being used so everyone knows the songs. Hearts in the right place but again such a move would feel kinda artificial.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I don't mind drums so much from the other end of the ground but I'd be **** livid if I turned up and found out I was sat next to one :D 

I’m within spitting distance of our drum for Vålerenga games, and I hardly notice it tbh. 

On 22/09/2023 at 14:47, turvontour said:

It's closer to double, the change in cost over the last ten years. Some things are 50% more expensive but lots are double. You basically have to chose elements of travel, programme, drink, food etc. Like I say, where I was parking has gone up to 7 or 8 quid a game. I just said we cant park near the ground anymore or we cant go. 

Ours is now £10 up from £5 a few years ago, decent place to park, but for an extra 5 -10 mins walk tempted to start using Star City which I read is free

On 23/09/2023 at 09:50, AvfcRigo82 said:

Instead, we have teams coming to Villa Park and up for it like it's a cup final, because they know, silence Villa Park and you're already half way to a result more often than not.

I don’t think that’s true at all. We have won, 10 in a row at home. There is certainly a fear factor of coming to us. 

6 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I don’t think that’s true at all. We have won, 10 in a row at home. There is certainly a fear factor of coming to us. 

We are largely unstoppable at home at the moment, and that's with a mostly dull atmosphere. I can't put my finger on why but I hope we're not becoming entitled.

• Like 1

I thought the Everton fans were excellent.

which brings me to the question, which was the better performance, spirit of the blues by Everton last night, or Sunshine on Leith, by Hibernian

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I thought the Everton fans were excellent.

which brings me to the question, which was the better performance, spirit of the blues by Everton last night, or Sunshine on Leith, by Hibernian

I prefer the Everton song. I thought for how many of them there were they were pretty quiet until they scored on 15 minutes then weren’t all that after that until they got the second. I do think though that Everton as a fan base are as good as any going. Leeds get bigged up a lot but not a patch on evertonians imo .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I prefer the Everton song. I thought for how many of them there were they were pretty quiet until they scored on 15 minutes then weren’t all that after that until they got the second. I do think though that Everton as a fan base are as good as any going. Leeds get bigged up a lot but not a patch on evertonians imo .

Hard disagree. They usually only sing "EV-ER-TON" and boo. Genuinely one of the most whiny fanbases in the league imo and I'm a Villa fan (I suppose you guess that tbf)

Â