• El Ghazi
    • Archer
    • Ramsey (El Ghazi 63)
    • Chukwuemeka (Chukwuemeka73)
    • Lindley (Guilbert 82)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/08/21 at 22:59

Thoughts on today's match (my today)

It was OK, or bloody brilliant depending on how we rate the team. Whether as a a top flight  premier second  team (OK) or as largely Aston Villa's possible future (bloody brilliant).

The negatives.
The back line (Nakamba, Hause amd Taunzebe) to me seemed uncomfortable with Barrow's hoof ball. We did not not dominate the air at the back. Having said that, clean sheet with Steer not having much to do.
Despite the six nice goals, we only had sixteen shots (that's one every five minutes), nine of which were on target (OK six went in). We seem to labour the build up, faffing around the back and the middle of the park a lot.

The positives:
Steer was not really tested.
I thought Targett was solid, did what he had to do. Not ready for the first eleven but close.
Guilbert I thought was good ... definitely needs to be in the squad ). Who gets displaced?
JPB ... a delight. The assist on the sixth goal, the bit were he took it to the touch line and pass. Beautiful!
Archer ...  what can I say
El Ghazi, Brilliant game for him ... did not like his penalty though.
Hourihane, his experience showed through - calming influence. Good choice for a captain. Perhaps a big six club will try and steel him now.
The Chuks ... I noticed Caleb more ... He is definitely the more skookum of the two.
Aaron Ramsey looked bright.
Lindley - god he is young, but a composed first appearance.

The future is bright.

Edited by fruitvilla

Pity Caleb came on when the Barrow players had just decided they weren't winning so were just going to kick the crap out of us. Made some promising moves that ended with him on the ground in pain. 

JPB was so much fun to watch but the couple of times he had a chance to score he over thought it a big. 

Had never really heard much about Archer before tonight but I'll be keeping an eye out for him from now on.

Anwar was superb. Took both goals well but that pass for Archer's second goal was *chef's kiss*

Job done, and done well. Love AEG's penalties. He's so cool when he steps up. 

We're almost a bit like arsenal used to be, playing their kids in the league cup and winning it.The future really looks bright. Clubs have in general a hope for one player a generation to step up and become a regular starter in the first team, but that doesn't happen very often. manure's "class of '92" is an exceptional exception. Maybe we can have another exception here. Maybe. But to put on a 12 year old as a rb is almost taking the piss. :D 

Next.

3 minutes ago, Pelle said:

Job done, and done well. Love AEG's penalties. He's so cool when he steps up. 

We're almost a bit like arsenal used to be, playing their kids in the league cup and winning it.The future really looks bright. Clubs have in general a hope for one player a generation to step up and become a regular starter in the first team, but that doesn't happen very often. manure's "class of '92" is an exceptional exception. Maybe we can have another exception here. Maybe. But to put on a 12 year old as a rb is almost taking the piss. :D 

Next.

I thought he was only about 10! But it was a superbly assured performance, slotted in totally without fuss and didn’t put a foot wrong as far as I could see. Maybe linked a bit better with the midfield than Gilbert had been?

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

I thought he was only about 10! But it was a superbly assured performance, slotted in totally without fuss and didn’t put a foot wrong as far as I could see. Maybe linked a bit better with the midfield than Gilbert had been?

Totally agreed. I thought he was really good. And a really good touch too. I think we have a hidden gem here. In 10 years when he's got pubes. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ponky said:

Pity Caleb came on when the Barrow players had just decided they weren't winning so were just going to kick the crap out of us. Made some promising moves that ended with him on the ground in pain. 

JPB was so much fun to watch but the couple of times he had a chance to score he over thought it a big. 

Had never really heard much about Archer before tonight but I'll be keeping an eye out for him from now on.

Anwar was superb. Took both goals well but that pass for Archer's second goal was *chef's kiss*

He went on loan to solihull moors 2020/21...scoring 6 goals in 26 games.....I think he was popular there.

Made his goals look easy last night.....I have seen them all missed by others, from where he took them....showed that valuable asset all good strikers have " Composure"

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

This guy Pete, sets the standard  for me....his knowledge of our club ( and his) for a Canadian is top notch

Brilliant presenting....love listening to him.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

This guy Pete, sets the standard  for me....his knowledge for a Canadian is top notch

Brilliant presenting....love listening to him.

he is brilliant.

What is interesting to me though, is that it takes a Canadian to show British youtubers how to do it!

That doesnt detract from his channel and vids tho, he is great, its just ironic that its a north american showing the brits how to make proper vids about our own sport and club lol. (i dont mean its not his club....you know what i mean).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

he is brilliant.

What is interesting to me though, is that it takes a Canadian to show British youtubers how to do it!

That doesnt detract from his channel and vids tho, he is great, its just ironic that its a north american showing the brits how to make proper vids about our own sport and club lol. (i dont mean its not his club....you know what i mean).

What does someones nationality have to do with their ability to produce video content?

Its the same cliched bollocks no matter where you’re from.

• Haha 1

On 24/08/2021 at 21:59, ender4 said:

Yes, though we also need to accept that realistically only around 2 of them will probably make it to become a regular in our first team.

tenor.gif

Â