Austin MacPhee

Strog

We aren't blessed with Beckham or Messi to score direct free kicks so it's nice to see us being inventive and trying different things. Keeping the opposition guessing and on their toes. I don't see other teams do it. 

Unsung hero of the Emery reign?

Edited by Pongo Waring
  • Like 3

What I really like about our routines is it forces the defence to be honest. A keeper can't be off his line from a corner cause otherwise Dougie will score an olimpico, you can't play a super high line or step up as we play the pass because we make when it's being taken confusing and change the angle of the pass. 

We've gotten like 3 free volleys and 2 free headers from the penalty spot from corners this year we could easily have another 3 set piece goals. He's really top quality with his plays. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

7 ward prowse corners we dealt with pretty well.

He was quite animated during that 10 mins spell after their deflected goal and was dishing out instructions on defending set piece - yes great to see if he has that positive impact on the defensive side of set piece as well

On the plus side, we were good defensively against JWP corners and set pieces. We also seemed to go of our way not to foul them in dangerous areas besides that handball call.

I remember for a match last year, Mings said that Unai told them not to give up corners to one of the teams because they were so dangerous from them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

After the Mcginn free kick goal I'm sure I saw one or two of the players go over a celebrate with Austin 

Quite a few of them ran in his direction pointing at him. He was going nuts celebrating. Must have been a nice moment for him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Would love to see his notes. Does he have the equivalent of a little book of plays like coaches in the NFL?

Would absolutely not surprise me.

There are more players in NFL, so it gives you more combinations of possible plays, but essentially it's the same thing from a set piece in football as it is from a normal play in NFL. With football you have fewer players but more possible starting positions for where the ball is, so plenty of scope for variation.

In both sports...the ball/egg is in a fixed position. The attacking players are in predefined positions,  and the defence sets itself up accordingly (or does their own thing if they think they can force a mistake). The first 2 or 3 sequences of passes/throws/hand offs are pre defined.

Beyond that it's then a case of see how it plays out and if you get to the third step of your plan it's usually resulting in a shot on goal / completed down.

There must still be thoudands of routines possible, and I imagine there are some he's never tried before, some he's never tried with us before, and others he's tried with us and is now revising based on what went wrong the first time we did it.

It's no wonder there is a coach specifically for them, and as someone else said, it's probably more surprising that there's only one man who covers both offensive and defensive set pieces.

Edited by MrBlack

Â