Austin MacPhee

Strog

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

We've conceded nine goals from corners this season. Sort it out Austin. 

There is a Mings size hole in our set piece defense. It's obvious and all the lower half teams know about it.  Forest had 9 players minimum in our box for almost every corner. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I can't imagine his role is that specific. 

But with the success of him I can see it coming, we'll end up with an attacking and a defending set piece coach, it will end up almost like the NFL where it's designed plays and a coach on either side trying to outsmart each other... Only for the corner take to float it straight in to the keepers arms 

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

I asked the same question before but didn't get an answer. Can't seem to find out anywhere online. 

in the emery cam video released today as soon as forest scored their first he was straight to the dugout, onto the ipad to review the goal. safe to say he's all set pieces

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

in the emery cam video released today as soon as forest scored their first he was straight to the dugout, onto the ipad to review the goal. safe to say he's all set pieces

Yes bThe Athletic had a piece on him earlier this season. He does all set pieces. Throw-ins, direct/indirect.... 

2 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

There is a Mings size hole in our set piece defense. It's obvious and all the lower half teams know about it.  Forest had 9 players minimum in our box for almost every corner. 

We are also a very small team in general.

We don't play a single midfielder over 5'10, Ramsey is 5'11 or 6' as a winger, Watkins is 5'11, Cash is 5'10, Moreno is 5'8. 

Without digne and without playing 3cbs we are so vulnerable from corners as we just don't have a lot of height. Mings really helped in that regard cause he's 6'5 and would go and get it and win it like 75% of the time. Without him we have Torres who just isn't that good in the air. 

That's probably sonethinf we need to solve next window. Increase the height of our players. Sousa and Nedeljkovic if we assume they are in our plans for next year as backups are both 6'1 so that will help. But bringing in a more physical presence in midfield would be massive. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

We don't play a single midfielder over 5'10, Ramsey is 5'11 or 6' as a winger, Watkins is 5'11, Cash is 5'10, Moreno is 5'8. 

Without digne and without playing 3cbs we are so vulnerable from corners as we just don't have a lot of height. Mings really helped in that regard cause he's 6'5 and would go and get it and win it like 75% of the time. Without him we have Torres who just isn't that good in the air. 

That's probably sonethinf we need to solve next window. Increase the height of our players. Sousa and Nedeljkovic if we assume they are in our plans for next year as backups are both 6'1 so that will help. But bringing in a more physical presence in midfield would be massive. 

Kamara is 183cm (6'0") isn't he?

42 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Won plenty of 1-0 games last year from Mings being unstoppable at corners. Mings at the front post and then Emi collecting anything they could get over Mings was too easy for us. 

58 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah I honestly think this is a lot of it. We just don't have a very tall team. Even most of our CBs are fairly short by CB standards. Think the only ones above 6'1 are Torres and Mings.

I don't think it's necessarily down to team size but more positioning. I can't remember too many set piece goals coming direct from headers but more often second balls in the box. 

It would help to win the first header, but if not we've got to be more organised to win the second. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, villa89 said:

I can't imagine his role is that specific. 

I’d agree I’m sure he’d be involved with both attacking and defending set pieces. They’re the opposite sides of the same coin in effect, surely?

So we assume he does cover both sides, and whilst we're decent at the attacking side (and far more effective than we had been for decades before his arrival), the defensive side is very much room for improvement. 

And as @cheltenham_villa said, its not usually a direct header that goes in,  its a laid off header that drops in the 6yard box that seems to cause us the issues. All the defence runs out to play for an offside or something, and there's an un-marked man running in the other direction left with a tap in. 

The same type of goal has been scored past us 3 times recently, so there's plenty of footage for MacPhee to watch and learn from.

19 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Are you suggesting Vill a need to invest in a medieval rack for BMH?

12 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I don't think it's necessarily down to team size but more positioning. I can't remember too many set piece goals coming direct from headers but more often second balls in the box. 

It would help to win the first header, but if not we've got to be more organised to win the second. 

I think it doesn't help that we commit 3 players zonal marking the front post...and still can't win it half the time. This leaves a man for man situation at the back post where we're easily picked off or you have situations like Kamara or Digne/Moreno on one of their tallest players.

Mings could single handedly solve a lot of the problems by winning the front post headers and subsequently allow us to commit more players to other areas of the box.

To be fair, Luton are already known to be boss at set pieces.

Doughty putting them on a plate for those set pieces.

Konsa and Lenglet lost several times against Morris.

It is what it is.

Though it felt really good to get the winner on that back post cross they were terrorizing us with.

On topic, MacPhee does a get +1 for a nicely worked set piece for Watkins. JJ pins down the front post marker (Barkley) and then McGinn backs into Morris to create the pocket. Leon just has to put it in the right spot.

Â