Austin MacPhee

Strog

Was that one of his routines, where 3 of them dummied to take a corner for one to run back and take it, which again come to nothing 

Edited by rbcuk

10 hours ago, spiezels said:

The little one where moreno and someone drew onana out almost worked. Just needed a quicker shot and curl from mcginn.

That wasn't Macphee, come on. That's McGinn trying to seize an opportunity 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The ploy was pre planned, why would the lads be stood **** about with the keeper?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

They were on my train together earlier today heading to that London so there might be a bit of a bromance to look out for there. 

• Like 1

I thought the Man U ones were pretty slick.....where you head the ball first, and score and lay it on.

I think this heading, is catching on.

9 hours ago, The_Rev said:

They were on my train together earlier today heading to that London so there might be a bit of a bromance to look out for there. 

MacPhee was part of scotland set up right 

33 minutes ago, spiezels said:

MacPhee was part of scotland set up right 

Yes.  He actually joined the Villa and Scotland coaching staff the same time, around when Dean Smith got the Villa job. 

6 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Yes.  He actually joined the Villa and Scotland coaching staff the same time, around when Dean Smith got the Villa job. 

He joined here just before Smith got sacked

If he was the person that proposed Kamara marking Maguire, it was a bad plan. 

Even the state-the-obvious commentators mentioned it way before United scored directly as a result of it. So this could have been something we corrected mid-game.

Not sure if defending set pieces is his remit, but we haven't been good at defending them for a while now. 

Offensively we've had a few lately that could have come off with better execution, as well as a fair bit of success earlier in the season. Things seem to not be falling out way at the moment, but I'd keep the faith with the creative attacking plays.

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

What? Macphee knew Onana would try and steal a few yards? He ain't a wizard.

He wouldn't "know" that Onana would do that specifically, but it's clear that they've done the research that has seen Onana be highly affected/distracted by players around him - it happened away at Manure too and actually indirectly led to our first goal.

• Like 2

Have been hard on him in the past (mainly cos Dean was sacked, club/Purslow appointment and we started doing ugly long throws, which I despised, and conceding too many silly goals from corners and free kicks… at the time, it was clearly Gerrard that was the main/only problem and reason for our failings, vastly more than anyone else at the time either… bleurgh!) but he has clearly been more effective under Unai’s supervision when it comes to set price creativity and goals (I hope we don’t overly rely on them and that it doesn’t weaken or reduce our general attacking or creative play in any way though, don’t go ott)…

but…

can he please make us better at defending from them?? Or is that not part of his remit? Would’ve thought the job of a set piece coach entails coaching on both defensive and attacking ones… 🤷‍♂️ 

The marking hasn’t made sense for a while… why do our little’uns mark the opposition’s big’uns???😆

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

Agreed, our defending of set pices has been dismal of late. Kamara on Slabhead on Sunday was a total mismatch which they did nothing to correct in game.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Risso said:

Agreed, our defending of set pices has been dismal of late. Kamara on Slabhead on Sunday was a total mismatch which they did nothing to correct in game.

but this kind of scenario, seems lost on some folk......yet scores high on the list of direct causes of Damage.

Its like a Demolition crew, doing a risk assessment on a job.............and no one mentions the wrecking Ball.😀

wrecking ball.jpg

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Have been hard on him in the past (mainly cos Dean was sacked, club/Purslow appointment and we started doing ugly long throws, which I despised, and conceding too many silly goals from corners and free kicks… at the time, it was clearly Gerrard that was the main/only problem and reason for our failings, vastly more than anyone else at the time either… bleurgh!) but he has clearly been more effective under Unai’s supervision when it comes to set price creativity and goals (I hope we don’t overly rely on them and that it doesn’t weaken or reduce our general attacking or creative play in any way though, don’t go ott)…

but…

can he please make us better at defending from them?? Or is that not part of his remit? Would’ve thought the job of a set piece coach entails coaching on both defensive and attacking ones… 🤷‍♂️ 

The marking hasn’t made sense for a while… why do our little’uns mark the opposition’s big’uns???😆

Man City, Arsenal, and Liverpool....do not have their DNA disrupted, by players, who have a competent handling on an aerial Ball.....I am only citing these, because they are the bench marks,  not to compare or criticise us with.

• Rodri
  • Haaland
  • Stones
  • Akanji
  • Dias
  • VVD
  • Konate
  • Matip
  • Gomes
  • Gabriel
  • Saliba
  • Kiwior
  • Magalhaes
  • Rice

We are WIP but you can see, how the top teams, have an acknowledgement, of the importance of dealing with high balls.....while at the same time, persuing, their main criteria of playing expansive football.

High calibre, athletic players, who are good in the air, do not have to compromise, the philosophies of the passing game.

• 2 weeks later...
Â