Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

Such a torrent of excitement and positivity on here when this was announced you (I assume you?) were compelled to create this. 

So much revisionist criticism of this signing after the event but it was almost unanimously welcomed at the time. 

Yeah I did create that.

It was less that I was excited about the signing (I did think it was a good move though) and more a reaction to us having just lost Grealish to Man C. It was supposed to be a nice bit of levity given that most of us felt like we'd been kicked in the knackers.

Edited by Designer1

50 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It’s not like it would have been impossible to sell Ings in the summer (for a bit less, admittedly). We still could have made a few quid then.

So how many fan bases do you think would be happy about selling their top goal scorer half way through the season?

Is anyone queuing up now to pay Danny Ings 120k a week?

21 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Is anyone queuing up now to pay Danny Ings 120k a week?

I don’t know. I don’t think so.

But you’re using the benefit of hindsight. I’ve already said it proved to be the correct decision. Hindsight.

Your original point was to say how laughable the reaction was when he was sold at the time. It wasn’t that daft to say the decision could backfire on the club. Selling the player who has scored the most goals that season for a figure that will be fine for FFP purposes I’m sure, but not a massive amount that makes the decision a complete no brainer.

You basically seem to be of the opinion it’s fine to sell Ings and gamble that Watkins doesn’t get injured (AND ideally finds his scoring boots) but it’s not a reasonable gamble that someone would want to buy Ings five months later. I think someone could/would have been (can I prove it? No I can’t). Ings had done alright under Emery by the point he was sold, probably had more of an impact than Watkins - at that point. It’s quite possible Ings would have carried on in a similar fashion, finished the season with 10+ goals and we could have moved him on then having had him on hand in case Watkins was unavailable.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 1

Ings did fine here but looking back, although a big gamble, it’s paid off for us. At the time I really thought West Ham would be a great fit for him with Antonio holding things up for him but it just hasn’t worked. 

Being based in east London, I know quite a few hammers and the general sentiment amongst them is that moyes has reached his ceiling and if they are to compete where they have been they need to be getting a progressive manager in. Tbf to them the squad is pretty good and could be doing a hell of a lot better under a more forward thinking manager.

Some simple fixes could get the current team achieving a lot more. I think the plan is to let moyes contract expire at the end of the season and Tim Steidten will then start to shape the football side of things. They’ve got the players, now the focus is on a manager. i wonder if slot would be interested in them, he turned down spurs last year but surely will want to move to the prem at some point 

1 hour ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Ings did fine here but looking back, although a big gamble, it’s paid off for us. At the time I really thought West Ham would be a great fit for him with Antonio holding things up for him but it just hasn’t worked. 

Being based in east London, I know quite a few hammers and the general sentiment amongst them is that moyes has reached his ceiling and if they are to compete where they have been they need to be getting a progressive manager in. Tbf to them the squad is pretty good and could be doing a hell of a lot better under a more forward thinking manager.

Some simple fixes could get the current team achieving a lot more. I think the plan is to let moyes contract expire at the end of the season and Tim Steidten will then start to shape the football side of things. They’ve got the players, now the focus is on a manager. i wonder if slot would be interested in them, he turned down spurs last year but surely will want to move to the prem at some point 

Not sure how the gamble paid off for us really. We managed to cut our losses on him though.

19 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Not sure how the gamble paid off for us really. We managed to cut our losses on him though.

Well we managed to get through the rest of the season without Ollie getting injured and obviously unai and his own hard work saw him score a lot of goals. 

plus Ings won us some points and games with his goals. I think it was the best we could have done at the time and we got as much as we could have for him 

• Like 1

West ham are 9th thats good for them. Ok bad result vs Everton but i think moyes is doing well there

As for ings well we did well to vet him off the books and getting 15m bonus. Clearly best days are best him. I think he will end up in championship in next few seasons.

Personally think someone like luton could do with him on loan if they couls afford him but highly unlikely.  Palace also

Edited by Demitri_C

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Apparently booed onto the pitch today.

He's done there. He really would have been better off sticking around here. Not that I wasn't buzzing to get him off the books.

In talks with Wolves for a loan 

4 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

2 Jan 2022 he scored for us in our loss against Brentford.  He looked good but age has caught up with him since. We sold at the right time

Scored twice for us against Brentford in a 4-0 win at home last season in October 2022, no?

He looked pretty good then too.

• Like 1

Yeah, he looked good much of 2022. I only brought up the game from 2 years ago because it is the same time of the year now, and we sold him then in Jan 2023. We got a decent 18 months out of him and then sold him, and age has caught up with him since we sold him. 

• Like 1

Â