Danny Ings

HalfTimePost

34 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I think we need to trust Unai on this. If he thinks we should sell Ings, then that’s good enough for me. He’s the guy who sees him every single day. He’s the guy who really understands what he needs from a striker.

I can’t find any reason so far not to trust his decisions, he knows what he’s doing 

• Like 1

I’ll be sad to see him go , it’s quite a risky move as he’s a different type of striker to Ollie and the perfect option to bring off the bench, but at least were getting a fee. I had a look through Everton’s transfers over the past 3-4 years and the amount of £20m-£30m players they’ve lost on a free is shocking.  I suppose that we are getting some kind of return a loss yes but at least it isn’t a total loss.

Edited by gwi1890

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If we do sell then anything below 20 million is poor business. We paid 7/8 for Samatta 3 years ago when we were desperate and we should not allow West Ham or whoever off the hook

Big business call from Purslow to show he still deserves his seat

I can’t see us getting 20 for him but I think he’s worth it when you consider Newcastle paid that for wood last january

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

surely we can get more than that for him

A 31 year old striker on 120k? Doubtful

We will have someone lined up. Emery is the man. Purslow has been put in his box and we wont go out and sign Digne and Coutinho.

The future looks good again. Danny, top man, grafter. Bloody good striker in the right system, good touch , intelligent.

He isn't the man. We can get 12m - 15m for him and have someone take his wages. This is a win. Another 6 months and nobody will be biting.

I can't believe people are in uproar about this. "We shouldn't sell to a rival!!!"

We will be winning this. Ings wont be banging in 20 a season for West Ham for the next 7 years.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Definitely one of the more divisive and debatable decisions I’ve seen for a while

More often than not we get rid of players because they are either no longer of any use to us, or because our hands are being forced and we can’t keep hold of them

this seems to be a tricky decision for once whereby the ball is firmly in our court

FWIW I would sell. There was a spell this season where Danny was missing an awful lot of good opportunities and I was getting extremely frustrated given that he was supposed to be our guaranteed finisher - making up for other deficiencies he may have

i think mobility is a huge thing in the modern game and Danny’s is only going to further decline at this stage of his career

nice fella and all and clever footballer but hopefully we can do better

48 minutes ago, Nigel said:

But that's your point of view nick, which you are entitled to. However the other side can't be ignored either.

Thus what ever happens won't be a terrible decision,  just one you don't agree with.

If we don’t get another striker this window and sell Ings this window, leaving yourself short is a terrible decision however you want to frame it, so I can’t agree.

If we get another striker in then it will be about opinions of Ings vs new striker but if it’s just Ings out then it is a terrible decision.

Ollie seems to be back in training but how is his ankle and what if he got injured against Southampton? Our back up is a 19 year old, raw kid whose just signed and may even be going back to the U20’s championships depending on what you read but even if he stays, Ollie isn’t scoring and having some good games and indifferent games so you into the second half of the season with just Ollie and Duran as your striker options?  It would be a terrible decision given it’s mid season and we still have league placings to play for from 6th to 13th.

Get in another striker and I will agree it will be then opinion discussion, if it’s just Ings out then I don’t agree, it will be a terrible decision.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It makes sense for all parties. 

Ings is an aging back up striker, on big wages and with limited time left to get money for him. 

Ings gets to start every game at a new club.

A team worried about relegation get a guy who can save them. 

That’s not guaranteed at all. West Ham might have a completely different manager come Monday.

3 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Is there anymore on this that says that we feel £10m is a good price for him?

West Ham opening bid is £12m so what people think of £10m is irrelevant 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

I get what people are saying re the age and wages and all that jazz… but this still seems weird to me. We have needed him to save our bacon a few times already this season. And I’m sorry but Ollie, despite his other qualities, does not score enough goals.
Why are we doing this in January? I don’t like it.  

Edited by Tayls
Typos
  • Like 3

Just further proof at how garbage some of our signings have been over the past couple years. 

Sign for loads of money, stick on huge wages, sell couple years later for **** all. We really are useless. 

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

A 31 year old striker on 120k? Doubtful

We will have someone lined up. Emery is the man. Purslow has been put in his box and we wont go out and sign Digne and Coutinho.

The future looks good again. Danny, top man, grafter. Bloody good striker in the right system, good touch , intelligent.

He isn't the man. We can get 12m - 15m for him and have someone take his wages. This is a win. Another 6 months and nobody will be biting.

I can't believe people are in uproar about this. "We shouldn't sell to a rival!!!"

We will be winning this. Ings wont be banging in 20 a season for West Ham for the next 7 years.

i get all that, but with some good years left in him i just feel 12m isn't enough

Ings is a useful player for us, but ever since he signed he just hasn’t quite clicked for us. He didn’t fit into what Smith had been building at all, he was in and out of the side under Gerrard and now Emery seems to favour more a more energetic duo up front. Considering his wages and FFP cost I think it makes sense to cash it and recoup some of the original outlay for him, I assume we would now be in the market for another forward at Watkins and the unproven Duran leaves us a little light 

3 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I get what people are saying re the age and wages and all that jazz… but this still seems weird to me. We have needed him to save our bacon a few times already this season. And I’m sorry but Ollie, despite his other qualities, does not score enough goals.
Why are we doing this in January? I don’t like it.  

Because clubs are desperate in January?

Better to keep him for 6 months, have nobody bite in the summer and pay him up?

Edited by rodders0223

Just now, Farlz said:

Just further proof at how garbage some of our signings have been over the past couple years. 

Sign for loads of money, stick on huge wages, sell couple years later for **** all. We really are useless. 

Danny has been anything but a garbage signing.

• Like 3

Just now, Farlz said:

except ings has been far from garbage for us.

we will likely recoup 70-80% of the money we paid so hardly **** all

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It makes sense for all parties. 

Ings is an aging back up striker, on big wages and with limited time left to get money for him. 

Ings gets to start every game at a new club.

A team worried about relegation get a guy who can save them. 

And a team pushing for a top half finish, and at a push a European place, left with a striker whose finishing is not his strong point, and a raw and untested teenage from the MLS as their only forward options. It doesn’t make sense for Villa unless we have a guaranteed replacement incoming. I also don’t care if it makes sense for West Ham or Ings himself.

• Like 2

Â