Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

He had a much better second half. He was losing his man constantly in the first half. Any sniff of an attacking opportunity for Mostar was coming down that side. He was much better when shifted over to the left.

32 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

On the other hand - you seem to read into his game a lot more than many ? I guess at the end of the day it boils down to opinions

For me Bailey has been very poor overall in his time at the club - I have nothing against the guy - I just don’t rate him, anywhere nearly as highly as you do, and he still has a way to go, before I can say to you, that his time here can be qualified as a success?

Surely even you would have to admit this, if for instance he left the club today ?

I see things in other players that appeal to me a lot more - as I said it’s all about opinions 👍🏻

The past is completely immaterial - in football, it's all about what a player can offer in the present and future. He's started the season well and it looks like he's finally finding his feet. He's not leaving the club today and a season needs to be judged at its end, not on preconceived, hypothetical notions. 

I don't rate him as one of our best players but again, it has absolutely no bearing on me looking for positives and not dismissing a player because he struggled to settle into the side a year or two ago.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

The past is completely immaterial - in football, it's all about what a player can offer in the present and future. He's started the season well and it looks like he's finally finding his feet. He's not leaving the club today and a season needs to be judged at its end, not on preconceived, hypothetical notions. 

I don't rate him as one of our best players but again, it has absolutely no bearing on me looking for positives and not dismissing a player because he struggled to settle into the side a year or two ago.  

He is doing ok - he is not tearing up any trees let’s have it right. I’m not sure what more you want me to say. You’re making me out to be a hater and I’m certainly not. In fact I think you’ll find my comments on his performance last night were a lot more measured than a lot of others I have read.

When everyone if fit - I suggest he will be no where near the starting 11, but I think he will be the beneficiary of JJ’s setback - so it’s up to him to grasp this opportunity 

1 minute ago, Rustibrooks said:

Didn’t he nearly set up Watkins for a goal shortly after half time? 

Not that I can remember but my 'signal' was playing up in parts.

Edited by Tom13

8 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Not that I can remember but my 'signal' was playing up in parts.

Ah fair enough, I just went back to watch the highlights to check and it’s there around the 1:23 min mark. He put a low cross into Watkins but Watkins couldn’t get a proper touch on it plus there were 3/4 of their defenders surrounding him so it went out of play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rustibrooks said:

Ah fair enough, I just went back to watch the highlights to check and it’s there around the 1:23 min mark. He put a low cross into Watkins but Watkins couldn’t get a proper touch on it plus there were 3/4 of their defenders surrounding him so it went out of play.

Fair enough. You can't argue that that's a good ball and a good chance.

• Like 1

100% dribbling stats is definitely wrong. He constantly ran into trouble but that was more down to their great defending and doubling up.  He never stopped trying though right to the end so fair play I was happy with his effort.

Lost interest in Leon last season. Seen everything he's got and I'm very bored of it.

Looking forward to him leaving to be honest. Another we'll be releasing on a free.

He's in the pot with El Ghazi and Trez, which is unbelievably poor from him.

They'll be some goals before he leaves. Hopefully a few tomorrow.

I only managed to see the second half yesterday, but I think he looks better suited on the left wing, it looks more natural when he runs at defenders and it's more unpredictable if he will go inside or outside. I get that he can't cut in and take a shot with his left foot, but overall he looks more comfortable there. In one of his best games for us, Brentford at home last season, he played on the left hand side if I remember correctly. Also in one of his first games for us when he scored a cracker I think he played left wing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Not sure what else you can ask from a winger. 

I assume dribbling with the ball and then passing it to the opposition counts as a successful dribble?

18 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Lost interest in Leon last season. Seen everything he's got and I'm very bored of it.

Looking forward to him leaving to be honest. Another we'll be releasing on a free.

I feel a bit like this. There’s only so many times I can see him do a bit of running then get crowded out and fall over 

On 06/10/2023 at 13:28, Tomaszk said:

i think thats a fair assessment tbh.

Bailey, a bit like El Ghazi and Trez, did/do pop up with the odd goal here and there, but that massively papers/papered over the cracks that they are very poor footballers generally and outside of the odd goal and assist just.....dont do much.

i know goals/assists are important, but if you arent doing stuff for the other 89 mins 55s of the match, other than falling over, losing the ball and passing to the opposition, thats why the team as a whole isnt able to perform at its peak.

Similar with Ghazi/Trez, yes they scored some goals etc, but they were also a large part of the reason we were in a relegation dogfight, because their overall game just wasnt there outside of the odd goal etc.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i think thats a fair assessment tbh.

Bailey, a bit like El Ghazi and Trez, did/do pop up with the odd goal here and there, but that massively papers/papered over the cracks that they are very poor footballers generally and outside of the odd goal and assist just.....dont do much.

i know goals/assists are important, but if you arent doing stuff for the other 89 mins 55s of the match, other than falling over, losing the ball and passing to the opposition, thats why the team as a whole isnt able to perform at its peak.

Similar with Ghazi/Trez, yes they scored some goals etc, but they were also a large part of the reason we were in a relegation dogfight, because their overall game just wasnt there outside of the odd goal etc.

Was there any doubt whatsoever he was going to scuff that corner last minute and hit the first man? I'd have bet my legs on it.

And when he lies down once every 10 minutes pretending to be dead or something. What's that about? It's every match.

Â