Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

36 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Perhaps our world class coach who agonises over every detail might have, I don't know, told our wingers areas to put the ball when they get to the by-line, and individuals where to arrive in the box in said scenario?

Grumpy Cat No | Grumpy cat, Grumpy cat meme, Grumpy cat quotes

• Haha 4

Also, and just hear me out, you don't have to look directly at something to see it. Bailey is so close to McGinn in that situation that he can almost certainly see a claret shirt out of the corner of his eye. Looking directly at something to see it is only necessary with mirrors during your driving test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've not been Baileys biggest fan but he played well yesterday, I said I'd judge him by his performances on the pitch and he has now set a marker for himself. Hopefully he can gain some confidence and use it as a spring board. Well played Leon.

• Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Faith restored JV? Said you’d given up on him after Valencia… are you more encouraged now?

He needs to do it in away games… can’t think of many decent away performances other than bits of skill against Man U… has contributed at VP a few times…

I think Moussa is going to help raise his standards:

He certainly looks happier than he has looked lately… maybe he was being bothered by a knock or personal issue…

Not necessarily " restored " yet mate.

I need him to follow this up at least a couple more times, and to show fight and effectiveness in tougher games.

I'm happy for him, and frankly relieved.

Signs were positive for sure though.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I need him to follow this up at least a couple more times, and to show fight and effectiveness in tougher games.

Well this is it. One swallow doesn't make a summer/girlfriend, but it's encouraging and good to see the sort of performance we were hoping for. Here's hoping he builds on it, because then we all win. 

• Shocked 1

He's clearly going to be a useful player this season for us. I think he has to play off the RM though. He can play widest right as a proper winger. 

McGinn and Bailey for the right.

Diaby and Zaniolo for second striker/10

Duran and Watkins for CF

Ramsey and Coutinho for LM. Buendia when he's back. 

2 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

Sorry not feeling the love - he was pretty average as far as I am concerned. Someone has already pointed out, he didn’t even look up for SJM to score and the shot for his goal, was actually really poor, he had so much of the goal to aim for and he shoots at the keeper 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ thankfully he got lucky.

this guy is miles off being the answer - better than last week, but that could not be hard. 
I will happily stand corrected but he will not cut it in the prem  imo 

He had a hand in the first 3 goals and because of that was a comfortable win

Bizarre nitpicking from a good performance

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Hopefully it’s onwards n upwards from here… again, I think Moussa can be a big help to him. No doubt a fit and firing Bailey is an asset, I think that’s undeniable. We just need to see a lot more of that version of Leon and I don’t think it’s impossible at all…

Still curious as to what’s been bothering him, his body language and mood were completely different yesterday. Always good to see him playing with a smile on his face… just don’t limit that to playing at VP Leon! 😆

30 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Also, and just hear me out, you don't have to look directly at something to see it. Bailey is so close to McGinn in that situation that he can almost certainly see a claret shirt out of the corner of his eye. Looking directly at something to see it is only necessary with mirrors during your driving test.

Is it also possible that McGinn and Bailey executed some form of non visual communication between the two of them?

I’m thinking telepathy is most likely but am open to the idea that Emery has implemented some sort of verbal communication technique between our players.

Anything is possible with Emery at the helm 💪

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Emery has given specific instructions for when a player gets to the byline, I would say the most likely scenario is that Bailey simply didn't have time to look up if he wanted to play the ball before it went out of play, and so put it in the most dangerous area he could from the position he was in, that would be the edge of the six-yard box, and McGinn may have been under instruction to make that particular run when somebody gets to the byline, or he may just be smart enough to know that front post is a decent area to run in to.

The whole looking-up thing is nonsense, strikers don't need to look up every time they take a shot as they 'know where the goal is', it's called awareness, it's not only visual, and it's an incredibly important skill to have.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

and when the brothel door is next door to the gay bar

• Shocked 1

17 minutes ago, Digavilla said:

Looking back at his cross in slow mo , he  didn’t just cross it , he actually pivot his foot at an angle , thus spinning the ball exactly towards Mcggin position .. class 

He gets it over an sliding Everton defender and between that one and another but apparently he's lucky even though you can clearly see the positions our players in the box are something they worked on on the training pitch with digne at the backup post, Watkins centre goal, McGinn running front post and Diaby in a tonne of space and available for the cutback. 

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

Bailey being investigated over an alleged assault of a supporter an hour after Sunday's game. Hopefully nothing in it.

Yes, agreed. The "Express & Star" reports that, West Midlands Police have confirmed they are looking into an incident, which took place at Villa Park just after 5pm.

"It is believed to have occurred after a man is said to have entered Bailey’s private box in the Trinity Road Stand and requested a photo and autograph, after which an argument ensued where it is alleged the man was assaulted. The player’s pregnant partner and four-year-old son are understood to have been present at the scene."

Link: https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/sandwell/2023/08/21/aston-villas-leon-bailey-is-being-investigated-by-police-over-alleged-assault-of-supporter-after-4-0-win-over-everton/

There is perhaps a time and a place to make such a request and I can appreciate that this might not have been such a time or place, given he was with his pregnant partner and young son. 

I hear you ladies and gentlemen, it was a good cut back for the assist, in an area that someone should attack. My post was in the broader sense of how Bailey is as a player, often not being careful in his passing as other players. In that moment I think Buendia or Coutinho would have assessed who was in the best position. Perhaps Bailey did as well, but looked more like his usual hit and miss style. The assist was just one example, perhaps not fully valid one. The other was the goal where he smashed it right towards the keeper, also there more hit and miss than placing it somewhere else where it was an open goal.

It’s not meant as a stick to beat him with, just that imo his assist and goal isnt a proof of major improvement from him. He will get more assists and goals and will be frustrating in not taking considered decisions like others do, but more as I call hit and miss playing style, which is not the style I think we want to play now.

5 hours ago, lexicon said:

Jesus Christ. I find posts like this frankly embarrassing in their relentless negativity and lack of support for a player. 

He could not have placed that assist any better unless he picked the ball up with his hands and dropped it on McGinn's foot. But he apparently didn't 'look up' enough to satisfy your arbitrary requirements. And his goal doesn't count because it wasn't good enough for you.

Seriously, have a word with yourself. You seem beyond unreasonable and instead of being happy that he played a lot better and got a goal and assist, you're looking to criticise the man over nonsense.

It genuinely feels like he could win the ballon d'Or and you'd refuse to clap and sit there scowling and calling him 'lucky'. 

Just realistic - if you can’t see this, that is ok.

I am not looking at Bailey through rose coloured glasses just to please you with the very greatest of respect.

I am more than surprised you think he was anything other than average yesterday.

Trust me - when he shows ( if ) up - I will be on here giving him every plaudits that he deserves

Â