Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

You know when you used to watch El Ghazi play and in the first 5 minutes his attempted trap of a ball went further than most of us could kick it? You knew that was it for the game, he was going to be crap, well I get that feeling with Bailey. And, unlike Anwar, he doesn't seem to be great at penalties.

Bailey reminds me of Ross Barkley, was amazing at one club, got his big money move, big contract, big wage and just knocked it down a few gears.

He’s on £100k here and I don’t think he’s showed enough for that personally.

I’d chop him in and get a younger option, someone like Cherki or Bakayoko (PSV). 

Even Ian Taylor criticised him for losing the ball a couple of times in dangerous positions.

Allowed Valencia to counter us and put us under pressure.

Someone mentioned the thread gets bumped every time he's crap yet he's rarely good so obvious is obvious, right.

I've always been a big Bailey fan, but he just isn't improving so far at the Villa. He seems to do better as an impact sub because he brings a lot of energy to our squad when stamina flags second half, although I didn't see that energy ever with Valencia. He seemed enervated.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

On 09/08/2023 at 13:02, lexicon said:

I've got a funny feeling he'll do well this season. 

How bizarre, came here to say exactly the same!

I watched highlights of our goals last night from last season and he was involved in quite a few. I honestly think Emery will find a way to bring out the best of him. And with Torres able to pass well from deep, it could be useful to have the pace of Bailey.

• Like 2

On 09/08/2023 at 13:02, lexicon said:

I've got a funny feeling he'll do well this season. 

I hope you're right as we need him to step up somewhat now Buendia isn't available.

A lot of his issues seem to be mental. He plays like he's scared and doesn't believe in himself 

One of his best (if not the best) seasons he's had was playing alongside Diaby.

If he can rediscover his form from that season, and bring some of the football he played with Diaby to villa he could yet play a big part this season.

The loss of Buendia will make it more important to have creative options elsewhere  and him and Diaby created all sorts of openings when they were playing together and on form.

It's his last chance to make a success of his time at villa really, and he will be sold in Jan or next summer if it still hasn't clicked for him. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

One of his best (if not the best) seasons he's had was playing alongside Diaby.

If he can rediscover his form from that season, and bring some of the football he played with Diaby to villa he could yet play a big part this season.

The loss of Buendia will make it more important to have creative options elsewhere  and him and Diaby created all sorts of openings when they were playing together and on form.

It's his last chance to make a success of his time at villa really, and he will be sold in Jan or next summer if it still hasn't clicked for him. 

Wasn't that the COVID season with no crowd? I don't doubt his ability I doubt his mind set. Maybe we can get all the fans to turn around and go quiet so he doesn't get nervous 

4 hours ago, picicata said:

Wasn't that the COVID season with no crowd? I don't doubt his ability I doubt his mind set. Maybe we can get all the fans to turn around and go quiet so he doesn't get nervous 

I think you might be right, although they had success either side of that season ... but if he can channel the confidence from that season with Diaby, it could be the key to unlocking his confidence player issue.

Might only take one successful link up with Diaby where they score a worldie between them that frees up his mind. Although, if that is the case it might only take a bad touch to then undo it.

I guess ee don't want fragile mindsets, but I'm sure Emery and his team have been working on it since they got here, and I don't think it's impossible they make a breakthrough with Bailey this season, and Diaby should help.

I think he'll benefit from playing opposite another wide player. He's often isolated on the wing with no support from a deep lying full back. 

I thought it was interesting that he really encourage Diaby to come, Leon obviously doesn't read the message boards 

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Hopefully he’s gone by the end of the month. Sick of the “confidence” excuse. 

yeah, but he is lacking some confidence, once he gets it back he will be top.

:trollface:

Â