Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

5 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Going like Dele Alli? Nothing like that in my opinion. Alli's attitude is horrendous, and even though he excelled for a season or two in that Poch system as a support striker, he's generally a very limited footballer. Can't dribble, average passer, no pace, but is a good finisher and had decent movement, that's about it.

Bailey's attitude isn't bad, he just lacks footballing intelligence.

I was generalising on 2 highly rated players, who are failing to live up to their respective reputations....as for the specifics, I'll leave it up to you.

On 31/03/2023 at 14:29, CVByrne said:

I think he was injured in his first season and has been patchy this season. Hopefully he gets more consistency and improves. 

I would like this to be the case, sadly I don’t feel he is up to it 

• Like 1

At the risk of seeming meanspirited after a great win (yeah yeah, I know, I know)....... I still just cannot see how he fits into this team, or what he brings. Came on, had a great chance in lots of space, didn't even nearly put it on target. Otherwise fairly anonymous and gave possession away more than he held onto it.

I'll be impressed if we get 50% of our outlay back on this guy, but either way I'd rather we gave some of the kids and Duran a go.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

At the risk of seeming meanspirited after a great win (yeah yeah, I know, I know)....... I still just cannot see how he fits into this team, or what he brings. Came on, had a great chance in lots of space, didn't even nearly put it on target. Otherwise fairly anonymous and gave possession away more than he held onto it.

I'll be impressed if we get 50% of our outlay back on this guy, but either way I'd rather we gave some of the kids and Duran a go.

I really don’t agree with how you look at his game today

3 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

I really don’t agree with how you look at his game today

Really? That's fine if you disagree, but please present counterpoints, otherwise it's a little redundant stating your disagreement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Really? That's fine if you disagree, but please present counterpoints, otherwise it's a little redundant stating your disagreement.

Ok, he was substituted at a time where we more or less tried to run the time down, wasn’t overly interested in attacking, but I thought he tried. He didn’t try to overdo things like he has been used to. The finish he had and as you mentioned, it came when he just came on the field, so him not being able to hit the target, is actually in my view OK, at least he managed to get in a position where he could finish. He almost found Young later on after a pass from Watkins and I really can’t remember he lost the ball as much as you think he did. 

Just came here to post the same, thought he did well, decent cameo looked very positive. Seems quite effective having him come off the bench.

Can't wait for Coutinho to be back to so we have even more options from bench

My main memory of Bailey today was when Watkins pulled of that bit of wizardry to get away from 2 Chelsea players who had him sandwiched and he gave it to Bailey, who immediately dribbled into a Chelsea player and gave it away.  He also had that shot where he got the ball in a good position and created a little space but was too far out to have much chance to score and sent it well wide.   Other than that, anonymous.

11 hours ago, est1874 said:

Dont disagree with the judgement on his performance but we've left ourselves so thin with wingers and like you say we won't recover the money so would we actually sell him?

We've got him, traore, Bidace, Barry, maybe a.ramsey depending on the shape

Even if we buy 2 more in the summer I don't think we can sell him 

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Dont disagree with the judgement on his performance but we've left ourselves so thin with wingers and like you say we won't recover the money so would we actually sell him?

We've got him, traore, Bidace, Barry, maybe a.ramsey depending on the shape

Even if we buy 2 more in the summer I don't think we can sell him 

It wouldn’t make sense to sell him from a FFP perspective. He’ll either still be here or out on loan.

• Like 1

I think Bailey’s struggling to find the right balance between whatever his natural game is and whatever Emery is instructing him to do.

That opportunity Watkins crafted for him yesterday was a great example, if Bailey had gotten the ball under control better with the first touch then the pass was on to his right and a man in space (Young, I assume it was). But his first touch wasn’t the best. Ironically though it opened up a ton of space on his left foot but he didn’t pick his head up to see it and instead tried to force the pass off to the right at which point he’d been closed down too much for the pass to get through. Split decision making, hard to get it right constantly but he can definitely improve in this.

• Like 2

Think he might get a start against Leicester. Young put in a strong shift and don’t know if he’s up for 90 against Leicester. Unai might go with a more defensive RB with Chambers and have Bailey on for the counter. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Think he might get a start against Leicester. Young put in a strong shift and don’t know if he’s up for 90 against Leicester. Unai might go with a more defensive RB with Chambers and have Bailey on for the counter. 

Sounds like an awful idea - Bailey is as useful at counter-attacking (or football in general) as I am at knitting knickers.

Think he's starting to look a bit sharper. Still a long way to go though. But other players have made a complete turnaround under UE, hopefully he will too. 

• Like 2

On 02/04/2023 at 08:37, il_serpente said:

My main memory of Bailey today was when Watkins pulled of that bit of wizardry to get away from 2 Chelsea players who had him sandwiched and he gave it to Bailey, who immediately dribbled into a Chelsea player and gave it away.  He also had that shot where he got the ball in a good position and created a little space but was too far out to have much chance to score and sent it well wide.   Other than that, anonymous.

Yet the first thing he actually did was make a decent little crossfield run and release a powerful effort.

We remember what we want, based on our feelings of a player at any point in time.

Similarly to how Dendonker went from Being Ngole Kante in one performance, to a Pub player at best in 2 showings.

He wasn't great, but he never even really had enough time to be "shite " in any effectual capacity either.

Other players made mistakes in that game, and had quieter games as well, even though it was an all round decent performance.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

On 02/04/2023 at 06:37, il_serpente said:

He made the right choice though. He tried to lay it out wide to Young for the cutback. But he was simply crowded out by 2 Chelsea players and he couldn't squeeze the ball between them. The only way he could have kept the ball would have been kicking it back to Chambers or Konsa and wasting the position as well. 

Â