Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

41 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I didn’t see the match and was kinda following on here. From the comments here and on Twitter i thought it was a miss of ronnie rosenthal proportions. Had a bit to do is right. 

I heard he'd missed an open goal and thought I'll wait till I see it. Definitely wasn't as easy as many made out.

However I feel I've seen a fair bit of Bailey now, and am not quite convinced by him. He has excellent footwork, is pacey, but he lacks intelligence. He plays with his head down a little too much and lacks a bit of composure as well I think. I think he'll continue to show bits of quality, but will frustrate as well.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I heard he'd missed an open goal and thought I'll wait till I see it. Definitely wasn't as easy as many made out.

However I feel I've seen a fair bit of Bailey now, and am not quite convinced by him. He has excellent footwork, is pacey, but he lacks intelligence. He plays with his head down a little too much and lacks a bit of composure as well I think. I think he'll continue to show bits of quality, but will frustrate as well.

He hangs on to the ball a touch or two too long. Thing is that's his nature and occasionally pulls off a great move. Generally I like his play but he's a bit out of form and its more often than not not working  for him. I think he'll pull through and improve though. Second half today worked hard and caused Wolves problems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

I actually can’t really say I think he’s pacey from what I’ve seen from him. His running actually seems laboured most of the time. Last season especially. He made a good run in the cup against United but otherwise I can’t think of a time I’ve watched him and thought he’s rapid. Edit: I’ve just remembered his goal against Everton last season but the point still stands. He blows so hot and cold 

Edited by IrishVilla10

58 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

It wasn’t the most open goal I’ve ever seen but that was a terrible touch. I really really want to like Bailey but I agree with you, he seems like he’s going to be one of those wildly inconsistent players. Brilliant one game, not so much the next.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I didn’t see it until late, and the way the radio and some posters were going on about it - I was thinking Ronnie Rosenthal level miss.

It was bad, but my god not as bad as it was painted out to be.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, thunderball said:

When you boil down players into just purely stats, I wonder where Bailey, Trez, AEG, (Bertrand) Traore, Bailey and Adomah stack up? Add to that their stats expressed in a cost/transfer fee context?

I'm gonna ignore Adomah because he was in the Championship and replace him with Buendia and only look at PL stats. 

You can't really do a simple calculation to their stats to take into account their transfer fee. If you doubled a players transfer fee for example, do you expect their goals and assists to double as well? Of course not. The gains you expect to get from a higher fee diminishes the higher the fee itself is. In other words, diminishing returns.

Goals per 90 minutes

1- AEG = 0.33 
2- Traore = 0.25
3- Trezeguet = 0.23
4- Bailey = 0.20
5- Buendia = 0.19

Assists per 90 minutes

1- Traore = 0.21
2- Bailey = 0.20
3- Buendia = 0.19
4- AEG = 0.11
5- Trezeguet = 0.06

Non-penalty goals per 90 minutes

1- Traore = 0.25
2- Trezeguet = 0.23
3- Bailey = 0.20
3- AEG = 0.20
5- Buendia = 0.19

Goals + Assists per 90 minutes

1- Traore = 0.46
2- AEG = 0.44
3- Bailey = 0.39
4- Buendia = 0.38
5- Trezeguet = 0.26

Non-penalty goals + Assists per 90 minutes

1- Traore = 0.46
2- Bailey = 0.39
3- Buendia = 0.38
4- AEG = 0.31
5- Trezeguet = 0.26

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Definitely time for some kind of serious, next-level coaching intervention in terms of Bailey's approach in and near the penalty area. He seems too settled in his unsettledness (does that make sense? lol), and someone needs to take him aside and give him blunt but supportive feedback to help him get more "clinical." It's an overused term but it's clear. It means precision AND restraint AND confidence. Harry Kane sounds like kind of a dolt to me when I hear him, but he's spot on when he talks about just how clinical forwards need to be in the Premier League. The standard is high. I think someone needs to make Bailey better acquainted with what it that really means. You can't make all these speculative crosses and hail-mary shots. I know, it's not the youth squad, it's Premier League, but players hit plateaus and get stuck, and considering the last management regime, who can be surprised? Marcus Rashford turned it around.  

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

Really really poor last night - the miss just one aspect of it. He scuffed two big chances against Liverpool as well. There is a player there, but seems (like many players) he just can’t raise his consistency levels. I am worried about his lack of pace, one footedness and that he tries to do too much himself. As he stayed on I’m surprised we didn’t move him over to the left / he was brilliant there against Brentford. 

This id what makes good fans and shit fans.

Good fans will back him and show him support. Shit fans will crucify him.  At the end of the day he had a bad game and it was a bad niss. But really thats been one of the few bad missss he has had.

Give him a break we know he is a good player just strugglibg abit at the mkment

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Leon cares. Thats main thing. Cant ask more than that. People need to back him for that miss it will only help his game

Yep. Him and Watkins still start for me in our best team. Needs to be more consistent but he’s better than Buendia. 

Clearly he’s distraught about that effort. 

He should have done better with it, he had time to take another touch and then slot it in. 

Frustrating game overall, rarely beat his man. And yet at one stage went past about 6 players and unlucky not to get a shot away

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

This id what makes good fans and shit fans.

Good fans will back him and show him support. Shit fans will crucify him.  At the end of the day he had a bad game and it was a bad niss. But really thats been one of the few bad missss he has had.

Give him a break we know he is a good player just strugglibg abit at the mkment

He needs our support, whether we individually "like" him or not.

I think the question is do we think he's good enough for the important role he is occupying right now.

He has been a frustrating watch lately, but we know he can do so much better. I think its a confidence thing.

First name on the team sheet against Stevenage for me. I want to see him get his mojo back.

Â