U23 Development League 2021/2022

BOF

Just now, MWARLEY2 said:

nice one. Was really impressed that we had 2 16 year olds , a just turned 17 and a justy turned 18 start the match in defence. Kerr Smith looked really decent 

They were a very consistent age group which might explain their success this season. 6x19 3x18 1x20 & 1x21. The 21 was Kabak, their one 'ringer' who is about to be 22.

• Like 1

Thought the centre halves were great. Chrisene looks really good, oddly reminded me of Grealish in the way he plays. That drawing in of the challenge before shifting the ball away I think it is. The lad at right back for us had a bit of a mare in the second half. Chuk plays like he is a level above the rest but little end product tonight. Brad Young was busy, glad he got a goal.

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

This system is weird. 

We were the better side and controlled most of the game. Norwich could and should have scored three or four goals. 

That's what this system seems to be producing right now and it's strange.

Individuals first, I thought Sinisalo did well, making some very good saves, the two centre backs weren't perfect and both made errors, but they did an awful lot right against a very lively attack, Smith's pace is impressive on the cover. I thought Chrisene did very well in the first half although he was clearly feeling his calf after fifteen, Barber was very good down the right in the first half and decent enough on the left in the second half. Considering the ages of some of those, they're a very promising back four.

In the second half, I was very surprised to see Appiah come on ahead of Frankie Ealing. Ealing is a more natural full back and in a system where the full backs get forward as much as they do in ours, Appiah is a bit of a mis-match in the position. Madness. So, obviously within moments of coming on he skinned a fella and dropped a lovely cutback to the feet of Hart for our first. He did okay thereafter, he still sometimes looks like a giant trying to catch a Turkey, but he played a couple of good crosses and looked more than okay.

Tim Iroegbanum I thought had a very good game, he's excellent at using the opponents momentum against them, skipping out from the back with the ball at his feet, and he did a lot of work in covering the two centrebacks. In a game where what was and wasn't a booking seemed to be a lottery, he was really unlucky to be sent off - in fact the ref had no intention of doing so as far as I could see until Norwich's number nine, Abu Khamara, spent two minutes pointing at him and persuaded him that it needed to happen. I prefer the ref to referee, not the opposition. Mr Khamara should be ashamed of himself; slag. I have a feeling this means Iroegbanum won't be available for the first team bench for the Brighton game.

Hart played well and seemed to get stronger as everyone else tired; he deserved his goal. O'Reilly is lovely to watch, he's a terrier with incredibly quick feet and good balance, full of running and gets in good positions - at the moment his feet sometimes get ahead of him, but he's going to grow into a very good player. Carney Chukwuemeka is already a very good player. He dominated at times and scared the life out of Norwich's defence, I'm trying very hard not to use the word imperious again, but he was. Lindley was solid - he's a smart footballer who fits the system very well - he seems to be able to play anywhere, so when he slips in to cover the full back, he doesn't look as lost as well...most of the other midfielders at the club. 

Brad Young worked like a trojan again and will have left the ex-Liverpool centre back, Ozan Kabak, a man with 13 full international caps for Turkey, knowing that he's been in a heck of a game - he ran him all over the pitch, left the shoulder on him whenever he got the chance and got a lovely goal to finish things off. If Kabak had brought his dinner money with him, Young would be going home with it.

Norwich have some good players, Rowe is impressive, Kabak has pedigree and I thought Early and Clarke looked good too - this was a very good win.

What made the game fascinating for me was that the team played the first team system - indeed they played it to an absolute - every single member of the first team coaching staff was present and watching and in the second half I noticed that they were in touch with the bench during the game by phone. There were decisions being made or ratified by the first team coaching staff during tonight's game and there appeared a real intensity in the way they were looking at it. 

So as a laboratory, what did we learn about the system? The fullbacks here were a little less adventurous than those with the first team - Lindley looked like a natural for the CM/RB role that McGinn is playing and made it look a little more comfortable and we controlled the ball for much of the game. But the same weaknesses were there - an attack that sometimes found itself all packed into one area, constricted by numbers in the middle, and most glaringly that Norwich were still able to get runners through us and make good chances, time and again - with better finishing things might have been very different. 

The players are learning, and I think the coaching staff are tinkering and looking at ways they can tweak this system and make it better - there are things it does well; the 4-3-2-1 tree, once it's set in place, is difficult to break down, it gives you some control of games if you're sensible with the ball and the two tens are capable of wreaking havoc, it produces space for the full backs which can lead to goals like the one today (and you don't have to be a footballing Neymar to make that happen, if Appiah can find the right ball, Cash can too) The coaching team just need to find ways to fix it's weaknesses - and the U23's might be a Godsend for Mr Gerrard and his merry men over the next couple of months.

Anyways, a win is a win is a win, thank you very much and on to the next one. The crowd seemed to enjoy it and there was loads happening in the match. It's nice to be back at home for this game, you get a relaxed atmosphere, kids at their first ever games full of wonder, entertaining football and a really easy journey home. I got a night out, a portion of chips and a Villa win with Sweet Caroline ringing around a beautiful Villa Park, all for £4.50. If you can make it to the next one at VP, I thoroughly recommend it.

Won’t Tim be suspended for the U23 match vs Fulham on Friday first? (Which he probably would’ve missed anyway with a 1st team game the next day)

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Thanks 1

Front page stats updated. Villa back up to 4th. Hart with his first goal (contribution or other) of the season. Kerr Smith makes his first start.

Next up is a quick turnaround and only an away trip to the all-conquering Fulham team this Friday at 7pm who have 17 wins from 20 games this season and a perfect 9 wins from 9 at home with 25 goals scored and 4 conceded. Hopefully we put out a representative side and see what we can do down at Motspur Park.

In fact Fulham v Villa is the only Friday game.

Other results this gameweek are as follows (previous and new league rank in brackets).

Friday 18th
Middlesbrough(12->13) P-P Wolves(8->9)

Monday 21st
Southampton(5->7)     2-3 sha(13->12)
Aston Villa(7->4)     2-0 Norwich(2->2)
Newcastle(4->6)       1-6 Fulham(1->1)
Notts Forest(9->5)    7-0 Reading(14->14)
Stoke City(6->8)      P-P Burnley(10->10)
Sunderland(11->11)    0-1 West Brom(3->3)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Next round of fixtures

Friday 25th
19:00 Fulham(1)      v Aston Villa(4)

Saturday 26th
15:00 Southampton(7) v Notts Forest(5)

Sunday 27th
19:00 sha(12)        v Middlesbrough(13)

Monday 28th
19:00 Burnley(10)    v West Brom(3)
19:00 Norwich(2)     v Newcastle(6)
19:00 Sunderland(11) v Stoke City(8)
19:00 Wolves(9)      v Reading(14)

Where did this Jay-Hart come from? I really liked the look of him but haven’t seen him before and am quite an avid follower of Villas younger teams. This was probably the strongest lineup I’ve seen for a while in our U23’s yet was still made up of mainly 16-19 year olds. 
I thought we played well but you can see why we don’t always found it easy as there is normally about 5 changes each game. 

• Like 1