U23 Development League 2021/2022

BOF

By our standards I don't think today's team is even that young, Munroe and Wright the only first year scholars, the rest are second year scholars or older.

It's more that they're inexperienced at this level, but unfortunately there's probably a reason for that, this is largely a group that has struggled as a team at U18 level, which might explain why they haven't been tried much for the U23s, bearing in mind the players we rate highly we tend to promote to the U23s as first year scholars, see most of the FA Cup winning team, and then Feeney and Barber this season, Patterson isn't even a first year scholar yet, even Kadan Young has played for the U23s.

Not to write any of the second year scholars still mostly playing U18 football off though as by most academy standards they're still very young, it's just that we tend to play players up an age or two when we really rate them, as a group they're not doing well, but some of them might look a lot better if given a chance to play with better players.

Next season the likes of Ealing, Hart, McBride, Afoka, Reddin, Sewell and so on will have to play for the U23s as will be too old for the U18s, so are going to have to prove that they're good enough if they don't want to become bit part players.

Back on today's result as well as lack of experience, it's probably also fair to point out that it was a pretty disjointed team, a central midfielder in defence, then when McBride came on two central midfielders in defence, Appiah's first game in months, the midfield three consisted of Hart who's normally an attacking midfielder playing as a DM, and the supporting him Afoka who more often than not plays as wide forward, and Thorndike who usually plays like a No.10, so regardless of how good they are as indivduals, once always going be hard for them today as a midfield three.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's been a bad weekend for all the teams over the weekend, U18s, Women, and U23s all lost, hopefully the men's team can buck that trend on Wednesday. Next game for the U23s is on the Monday after the first team play on the Saturday, so between players coming back from injury, international duty, any players not playing for the seniors that weekend also being available, we should have a much stronger team for the next game.

Results mean nothing, end of the day its about producing players for our first team, which we are succeeding in right now. 
Our best under 21's are all on loan of training the with the first team

Edited by messi11

Excuse my tardiness. Front page stats have now been updated with Monday's drubbing.

Selections of note are Paul Appiah's 2nd league start of the season (despite being 19). Kerr Smith's debut off the bench. Chisom Afoka's 2nd start of the season and 2nd in a row. Caolan McBride's 1st appearance off the bench (to add to an unused sub app previously). Dewain Sewell's first time getting off the bench this season (twice unused previously).

As has been said. Not a particularly young side either. The starters averaging 18.52 which makes it the 6th oldest side this season.

Friday 04/02
14:00 Fulham(1)    2-0 Sunderland (10->11)
15:00 Norwich(2)   4-0 Middlesbrough (12)

Monday 07/02
19:00 Burnley(7->10)   P-P Newcastle (4)
19:00 Notts Forest(11->9) 4-1 Aston Villa (5->7)
19:00 Reading(14)  1-1 Stoke City (6)
19:00 West Brom(3) 0-1 Southampton (8->5)
19:00 Wolves(9->8)    2-0 sha (13)

They have the weekend off now, and the league comes back on the 18th.

All fixtures kick off at 19:00

Friday 18th
Middlesbrough(12) v Wolves(8)

Monday 21st
Southampton(5)    v sha(13)
Aston Villa(7)    v Norwich(2)
Newcastle(4)      v Fulham(1)
Notts Forest(9)   v Reading(14)
Stoke City(6)     v Burnley(10)
Sunderland(11)    v West Brom(3)

Looking at the ticket site now - they initially put one block on sale, opened up a second one quite quickly and then added a third - that third block is now not far from selling out. Should be well over a thousand with a bit of luck - by comparison Bodymoor holds around 280 - so that Villa Park crowd will be a really big thing for some of these youngsters.

I'd think you'll see Brad Young, Tim Iroegbanum, Ben Chrisene, Josh Feeney and potentially one or two names that need game time - it's cheap as chips, the parking is easy, there's a whole night's entertainment for a family for less than the cost of a pizza and you can look forward to being able to annoy people around you at Villa Park with your informed opinion when one of these lads makes their first team debut (unless you sit by me, in which case I will have already annoyed them more).What's not to like?

It's half term - bring the kids - l'd love to see a decent crowd for this one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Looking at the ticket site now - they initially put one block on sale, opened up a second one quite quickly and then added a third - that third block is now not far from selling out. Should be well over a thousand with a bit of luck - by comparison Bodymoor holds around 280 - so that Villa Park crowd will be a really big thing for some of these youngsters.

I'd think you'll see Brad Young, Tim Iroegbanum, Ben Chrisene, Josh Feeney and potentially one or two names that need game time - it's cheap as chips, the parking is easy, there's a whole night's entertainment for a family for less than the cost of a pizza and you can look forward to being able to annoy people around you at Villa Park with your informed opinion when one of these lads makes their first team debut (unless you sit by me, in which case I will have already annoyed them more).What's not to like?

It's half term - bring the kids - l'd love to see a decent crowd for this one.

I remember when I was younger going to watch the Villa reserves play quite regularly at villa park. And those teams often featured players in and around the first team who needed game time.

Why doesnt this happen more now? Is it because you cant field anyone over 23? I'd think the likes of Bailey, Sanson etc could do with 90 minutes of reasonably competitive football.

No preview on the OS today which is odd - perhaps they've decided they don't want any more people turning up.

There are only seven seats currently on sale and they're all singles - it looks like the club have decided they'd rather not open up any more of the ground - that's a bit of a shame I think - a bit more of a push on this game and I think they could have double the attendance.