U23 Development League 2021/2022

BOF

Disappointing result in the end, not really a fair reflection. 

Vassilev looked bright but wasteful, Kadan Young looks like a prospect, Nakamba looks like he never went away, but on the other hand Sinisalo flapped at aerial balls despite some good saves, and Mungo Bridge looks very much like yesterday's man. 

Fourth one for Stoke - they've been very good, but how we've come out of this one with just one goal is disappointing. 

The full backs look lively but are full of mistakes, they're young and learning it and there's lots of talent there. I thought Vassilev was good, Brad Young will be disappointed not to have a couple of goals and Kaydan Young looked really bright. Bridge was decent but will have to take responsibility for two of the goals, Feeney looks good again, O'Reilly was in and out of it and could maybe have done more over the ninety.

Really good game of football, 4-1 might be a bit flattering to Stoke, but it's the 1 that flatters them not the 4.

Positives are K Young and Nakamba playing an hour.

• Like 1

Game was more even than the 4-1 scoreline suggests, but unfortunately couldn't take our chances and some sloppy defending let us down, referee didn't help either giving a very harsh penalty against us in the first half.

Kadan Young looked very promising, I thought Patterson and Barber had some good moments too.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, messi11 said:

Are we playing the same tactics as the first team?
Looks like it

It was pretty poor last night to be honest. Stoke didnt really get out of first gear I felt. They seemed both bigger and older than our lads, the latter probably the case as I know we have lots who could play out on loan.We had plenty of chances, like the first team today but just couldn't finish. Gerrard there again watching on. There should be enough motivation there for those coming through.

• Like 1

Stats updated and results below. A good week for Forest who move from 7th to 3rd in 2 games. We're all but mathematically out of the playoff spots now.

Friday
19:00 Aston Villa(9->10)    1-4 Stoke City(5->3)
19:00 Fulham(1->1)          3-0 sha(11->11)
19:00 Norwich(2->2)         1-1 Sunderland(12->13)
19:00 Notts Forest(7->5)    1-0 Wolves(3->5)
19:00 Middlesbrough(13->12) 4-2 Newcastle(4->6)
19:00 Reading(14->14)       1-1 West Brom(8->8)

Saturday
11:00 Burnley(10->9)        2-1 Southampton(6->7)

Monday
13:00 Notts Forest(5->3)    2-0 Stoke City(3->4)

Fixtures all getting a bit disjointed now as we wrap up the regular season.  Just the one tomorrow and then nothing for a week followed by half a schedule. Burnley, Newcastle and Wolves getting their games in hand out of the way.

Friday 08/04
19:00 Burnley(9)        5-1 Newcastle(6)

Friday 15/04
14:00 Middlesbrough(12) v Wolves(5)
19:00 Burnley(8)        v West Brom(8)

Monday 18/04
19:00 Sunderland(13)    v Aston Villa(10)
19:00 Wolves(5)         v Newcastle(6)

Line up not as strong as I was expecting, thought that Chukwuemeka and Iroegbunam might be involved, good to see Frith back though, another start for Kadan Young too. Edit: Chukwuemeka and Iroegbunam probably played some part in the friendly against Brentford, so that might explain their absence, Sinisalo too.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

I quite like that side - seems a reasonable balance between youth and experience - still seems odd to me that in a season where we've used about a million players we're still nowhere near filling a bench in any given week.

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I quite like that side - seems a reasonable balance between youth and experience - still seems odd to me that in a season where we've used about a million players we're still nowhere near filling a bench in any given week.

I think it’s worth remembering that we have a lot of young players out on loan. Our current crop of young players is great I think 

Edit- or in other words, we’ve just bought them all, it’s what all of the top clubs do

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

14 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think it’s worth remembering that we have a lot of young players out on loan. Our current crop of young players is great I think 

Edit- or in other words, we’ve just bought them all, it’s what all of the top clubs do

We have got a lot of good players on loan, but we're also missing Appiah, Barber, Bogarde, Afoka, Chrisene, Chukwuemeka, Hart, Iroegbunam, Munroe, Reddin and Thorndike who have all been involved this year and aren't out on loan - they can't all be injured or involved in the first team - we seem to have more players than we've ever had and smaller matchday squads - it's a bit odd.

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We have got a lot of good players on loan, but we're also missing Appiah, Barber, Bogarde, Afoka, Chrisene, Chukwuemeka, Hart, Iroegbunam, Munroe, Reddin and Thorndike who have all been involved this year and aren't out on loan - they can't all be injured or involved in the first team - we seem to have more players than we've ever had and smaller matchday squads - it's a bit odd.

Why do you think it’s odd? In my opinion, it’s part of the evolution of becoming a top club

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I buy a programme every home game, and the squad lists on the back we always have fewer players than the opposition, usually about 5 fewer but sometimes 10. 

What is that, is it us naming fewer younger players as part of first team squad or do we just have a smaller first team group than others?

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think it’s odd? In my opinion, it’s part of the evolution of becoming a top club

I think the loans are part of that, and I think that bringing in more and better young players is, but I think then not taking them to away games is a bit strange - I get that it's about developing players, but surely a place on the bench would give Delaney some options and some opportunities to some of the youngsters.

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the loans are part of that, and I think that bringing in more and better young players is, but I think then not taking them to away games is a bit strange - I get that it's about developing players, but surely a place on the bench would give Delaney some options and some opportunities to some of the youngsters.

Do you mean a place on the first team bench?

I think we have shown great trust in Iroegbunam, he’s been given a new 5 year contract and a place on the first team bench. I haven’t seen him play but Noel has given me glowing reports about him