Julián Álvarez

Delphinho123

https://onefootball.com/en/news/aston-villa-julian-alvarez-could-be-the-new-gary-shaw-33264255

Speaking on BBC 5 Live’s World Football Phone-In, South American football expert Tim Vickery said: “I’m a huge fan of Julian Alvarez and I’ve written quite a lot about him already, I think he’s sheer class. He’s not really an out-and-out centre-forward, he’s not really a winger, he’s someone who likes to move across the attacking line, so it’s not easy to fit him into every system. I’ve even seen him used as an attacking midfielder.

“Perhaps for Villa fans, maybe one comparison I would make is with Gary Shaw – and I think Gary Shaw was a great player who was deprived of unbelievable greatness by injuries. I think Alvarez has something of that in him; he’s very classy and he’s really bright.”

Interesting , so not actually a regular starter for River as yet? And Vickery dosen't think he fits into european systems all that easily?

Think we need to be cautious on this one a bit if there is genuine link.

Can't think of too many South American forwards who've come straight from South America and hit it off in major european leagues...Suarez came to europe and first played for Groningen before Ajax signed him....think Cavani was at Palermo who were in Serie B at the time. Forlan flopped at Man. United but then proved at Villareal he was fantastic forward.

Watching Brazil and they have Gabriel Barbosa upfront again...he flopped badly at Benfica and Inter Milan when in europe.

We saw with Angel 20 years ago it took him a good six months to properly settle in here and he was mid 20s and a regular starter for River Plate and Colombia when we signed him.

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Interesting , so not actually a regular starter for River as yet? And Vickery dosen't think he fits into european systems all that easily?

Can't think of too many South American forwards who've come straight from South America and hit it off in major european leagues...Suarez came to europe and first played for Groningen before Ajax signed him....think Cavani was at Palermo who were in Serie B at the time. Forlan flopped at Man. United but then proved at Villareal he was fantastic forward.

Watching Brazil and they have Gabriel Barbosa upfront again...he flopped badly at Benfica and Inter Milan when in europe.

We saw with Angel 20 years ago it took him a good six months to properly settle in here and he was mid 20s and a regular starter for River Plate and Colombia when we signed him.

They’ve managed him carefully due to his age but have played him in their biggest/most important games, such as in the big Copa Libertadores games and he has done very well.

He’s a potential and likely future star, and clearly highly rated and valued - managed to get called up by Argentina, Buendia was left out.

I think the examples you have given are different cases but I’m not saying there is a guarantee that he will be an instant success here either.

However, times have changed and clubs have gotten better at integrating and looking after foreign players. Angel is a different case altogether plus he had personal issues (his wife was ill?) and we didn’t really do enough to help him settle. Once he did, he was awesome!

It was after that experience that we employed someone to specially work on integrating foreign players, helping them find housing and learn the language etc.

Under Gregory and previous managers, we had a mostly British team. We struggled with foreign players such as Savo, Curcic, Balaban and others for most likely the same kind of reason as I have outlined above. And the ones that did well (such as my mate Beni) already had experience of the league and country.

The advantage with Alvarez is that he would already have 2 fellow countrymen here to help him settle. Plus another 2 South American’s in Luiz & Wesley. None of these players have had too much trouble in adjusting and settling. It’s a different time and situation now, imo at least.

This would be an amazing signing for us for a fairly modest fee. Low risk and low cost imo, worst case scenario: we could loan him out or sell him for a profit but I think that’s unlikely.

He’s the kind of player that could be snapped up by the likes of Real Madrid & Barcelona… would be a major coup for us.

A signing like this could really elevate us and we could genuinely have a star on our hands… if you don’t play the game, you can’t win… don’t be fearful and take the calculated risks to succeed…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Also, I don’t think he would be under major pressure to instantly perform or hit the ground running.

With the way we are strengthening, we would be able to manage his game time and allow him to settle in and get used to our playing style etc. 

He could be our cover for Ollie too or at least initially. But also anywhere in attack…

Again, he would be aided by our two Emis.

Martinez was a major help to young players at Arsenal such as Martinelli.

I recommend listening to this:

Edited by Jas10

53 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Can't think of too many South American forwards who've come straight from South America and hit it off in major european leagues

Almiron via MLS was all hype and I'd call him a flop

8 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Story of my Friday nights out on the town

same, but a better metaphor would be snatching at the ball from 40 yards out and it going all the way out for a throw in.

the lad looked lively, played as a right sided forward.

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

8 goals in 80 games. Flop 

His two seasons have been under Bruce. 8 goals are probably around 10 percent of the goals Newcastle have scored in that time and he's not a striker.

I've been impressed with what little I've seen of him. He'd do well in a side that wants to play football.

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

8 goals in 80 games. Flop 

Ignoring the stats everytime I've seen him he looks like one of their better players but still pretty poor and unable to rise above the turgidity of Bruceball, does a couple of things well but he's lost in the mire half the time 

Don't really see the fuss 

I think we’re looking at two different types of signings this window. UK experienced players that already playing at a very high level and will hit the ground running eg Buendia (expensive) Ashley Young (cheap but almost risk free).Potentially JWP and even ESR fall into this group but won’t be cheap.  

The second group are players that may come at a lower price but higher risk. They’ll be slowly introduced but could potentially be huge players. The risk is to some degree mitigated, by us now being a well run club and just being a Villa player in the PL adds value if we move them on. I think this lad falls into this group. 

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Would be likely that we are not signing him to be a key player we depend on from the start either but rather a young rotation player with potential. Plenty of South Americans who's been able to handle that role around Europe.

Doubt there is many top clubs in Europe who hasn't got South American players they depend on. Even we do. Granted most of them go via Portugal before their big move.

Think we might be doing a mistake if we expect him or any other 20-21 y.o to come in an run the show for us, but I don't think that's what we are doing.

Would be pretty easy to list South American players around Europe who are no flops.

3 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

He's this year's Rashica, isn't he? 

Think that might be either him JWP, Tammy or ESR. Might be in for some sagas this summer.

Â