James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

And you can get a box of eggs for the same price as a loaf of bread, but it’s no good if you want some toast.  I don’t get point, they are completely different players. 

If we got both JWP and De Paul then we could make eggy bread.

• Like 3

Well at least it's a good thing if this link has some truth to it, cause it means Deano has registered that our central midfield needs work. Which was pretty obvious to most of us last season. 

I'd prefer a more defensive player to be perfectly honest, and also a bigger player, but we'll see what we end up with. 

• Like 2

Still not convinced this story has legs but I have noticed that the story does go into the detail of we are preparing/submitting a bid. I compare that to he Jack stories of “grealish changed preference to city over Utd” which are so clearly mad up. 

probably nothing in it but if I was a saints fan it would worry more than the grealish to city stories of zero substance. Assuming saints fans want to keep him which I assume they do as selling your captain is rarely a good sign for a club.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You’re absolutely fine with words and I understood what you meant just time around.

Despite the hole Kiwivillan has dug for himself, I’m fairly certain there’s something in this. I’ve no ITK myself, but the people who generally are are saying “there’s something in this”. Could be a herd mentality thing of course, but then why listen to any rumour ever if you can’t leave a little room in your life to go with it?

The move makes perfect sense to me. To Villa, to JWP and if the price is right, to Southampton. Which is probably why it won’t happen, because I can’t imagine their price being quite what we’re willing to pay. We shall see.

Sometimes other factors apart from the actual player and his value come into play. I can see lots of reasons why we would be interested in JWP, whilst at the same time I can see lots of reasons why Southampton wouldn’t want to part with him. If the player is interested in a move then there is always a chance and the dark forces of the agent then comes into play for obvious reasons. A big factor is of course the financial situation of the selling club. We were staring down the barrel of loosing Jack not so long ago because we were basically in a mess. I’m pretty sure Southampton aren’t in as big a mess as we were but it could be significant. 

None of us are really ITK, the club are run so professionally these days that stuff rarely leaks out. However good journalists may get subtle hints and sometimes they have merit. We can only speculate and let’s face it, that’s something we all like to do or we wouldn’t be here and threads like this wouldn’t exist. Some people seem to take their own opinions a little too seriously and find little room for anyone else’s. Debate is the lifeblood of the forum and so we could in fact all be legitimately be called a bunch of mass debaters, so let’s enjoy it for what it is. 

I’d like us to sign him, but agree with posters who think something else might be going on here. 

The club doesn’t leak (especially transfer targets) so with many sources saying the interest is genuine there’s a purpose to allowing the news into the media.

Villa won’t want any failure to sign targets becoming public because it damages the brand - see the Arsenal-Buendia shambles. 

Options? The transfer is already agreed in principle and Southampton are now managing their own media narrative for fans, culminating in ‘the offer was too good for the club to turn down, invest in the future.. etc etc’.

We’re using JWP as a stalking horse to pressure another club to do the deal Villa actually want for a different player.  

I’d be happy with either outcome but our people are too competent to get themselves blown out in public. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Didn't make the 26, Ben White in.

Absolute clown of a manager.

Well a Right Back withdrew and a player who can cover CB, Right back and CDM was picked, with Henderson and Maguire with fitness issues it does make sense.

Unlucky for JWP but defensive cover and versatility is key in tournaments. It does help us though if we want to sign him

Edited by CVByrne
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Didn't make the 26, Ben White in.

Absolute clown of a manager.

Thank **** for that. Imagine what we’d do if one of the other 12 defenders got injured.

At least now Henderson can start every game and make piss poor decisions as captain until the totally unfit Maguire stumbles back in to the team.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Well a Right Back withdrew and a player who can cover CB, Right back and CDM was picked, with Henderson and Maguire with fitness issues it does make sense.

Unlucky for JWP but defensive cover and versatility is key in tournaments. It does help us though if we want to sign him

Definitely and can't complain really but the whole point of the Romania friendly was information for the tournament, if Southgate didn't come out of that thinking Jack is nailed on, JWP would be a massive asset, Johnston being better then the buffoon and Godfrey and White looking awful, then I don't know what he was looking at.

• Like 1

Not against this one he'd be a great signing if the price wasn't inflated.

Just don't see where he fits in, other than his set plays which are top notch he's very much the same as we have already. Unless one of Sanson, McGinn or Luiz are being moved on I'm not convinced there is any truth in this.

• Like 2

4 years on his deal. English. Club that will get relegated without him.
Would cost more than we were willing to pay.

£50m + , basically **** off money - and he doesn't strike me as someone to kick up a fuss and get a move.

Basically, this one is a non starter. Not going to happen in a million years.

Yes, he's their captain and just signed a long term deal with them last summer to secure his future there. 

I'm not sure what's happened with this one but it could be as simple as a speculative link from the Guardian being picked up and parroted around the internet until it sounds like a substantial link. 

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

Even if we don't bid, or have a bid rejected, I like this new swagger about the club. We are no longer the pushovers of yesteryear.

As I saw someone say, " Arsenal SAY they are a big club, but Villa are acting like one " , love it.

The better we do, the more leverage we will eventually have.

We won't be laughed out of the conversation when it comes to even bigger players anymore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Thank **** for that. Imagine what we’d do if one of the other 12 defenders got injured.

At least now Henderson can start every game and make piss poor decisions as captain until the totally unfit Maguire stumbles back in to the team.

The good thing about having 9 defenders and Henderson on the pitch is that we are going to be a penalty shootout machine!

Â