James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

38 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He scored 40-odd.

Anyway, it's not all about scoring direct FKs, JWP's delivery in general is phenomenal. Also, look how much his all round game has come on, he's added intense pressing to his excellent technique. Be a good signing IMO.

Exactly, and the same quality that was flagged in Sanson as a key reason we signed him. Deano loves Ginny but signing JWP puts him under massive pressure to hold down a spot in the box-to-box role. 

It would be great for the team though and the option to bring equal quality off the bench as fresh legs is exactly what we need.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thug said:

you can stop watching at approx 1 minute in.

No idea which of the 3 he scored were the best or why anyone of us would have considered him good at striking a dead ball. What the **** were we thinking?!

Didn’t he play every minute for the last two seasons in the league? Shows he’s durable. He’s hard working, decent in the ball, good on the press, a leader and of course excellent at set pieces. Would be a great signing 

8 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Didn’t he play every minute for the last two seasons in the league? Shows he’s durable. He’s hard working, decent in the ball, good on the press, a leader and of course excellent at set pieces. Would be a great signing 

I 100% agree. We can't be buying a player just for good set pieces otherwise, we might as well just keep Conor in the team. However, JWP offers a much more alround skillset to his game. I think he would be a good solid addition to the squad/team. I am sceptical that this deal is a go-er though. I think Southampton would want bigger money than we would want to spend, and with JWP under contract for another 4 years it is going to take a massive bid to get Southampton to let him go. It seems a surprising link to me, but if it could happen I would be very happy with this acquisition to the Team/squad.

Edited by NeilS
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thug said:

Because he’s actually a pretty good player too.

Much better than our present midfielders?

I’m sure he’s a good player regardless but is he what we need?

I’m not against it, just don’t see the value (will be a huge fee, surely) and how much he would improve us. I see nothing special or exceptional about him other than the free kicks, all of our existing midfielders can do what he does and maybe better - we shouldn’t forget about Sanson, he could turn out to be the best of the lot.

For what he would cost, I’m sure we could do better. 

We could bid for a genuine star like De Paul & Milinkovic-Savic (prob even better at free kicks and would offer a lot more, unlikely though I know). Or a strong, quality DM to help us out in that midfield battle, especially against the top sides.

But, if Deano wants him then Deano gets him… what the hell do I know? 🤣

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He scored 40-odd.

Hmm. Transfermarkt has 27. 

Still more than I expected, admittedly. 

After the 97 tournament and Up until the 2000/01 season he scored three over three domestic and CL seasons. So hardly prolific, or the sort of regular threat you'd need to plan against. I do remember commentators regularly panning him for trying to recreate that wondergoal as another effort ballooned hopelessly into the stands. 

But by the looks of it, in 2000-01 season he bagged eight alone. Maybe Raul and the like were monopolising the chances closer to goal in earlier campaigns and only letting him have a dig from far out before then. 

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Much better than our present midfielders?

I’m sure he’s a good player regardless but is he what we need?

I’m not against it, just don’t see the value (will be a huge fee, surely) and how much he would improve us. I see nothing special or exceptional about him other than the free kicks, all of our existing midfielders can do what he does and maybe better - we shouldn’t forget about Sanson, he could turn out to be the best of the lot.

For what he would cost, I’m sure we could do better. 

We could bid for a genuine star like De Paul & Milinkovic-Savic (prob even better at free kicks and would offer a lot more, unlikely though I know). Or a strong, quality DM to help us out in that midfield battle, especially against the top sides.

But, if Deano wants him then Deano gets him… what the hell do I know? 🤣

That's the main thing for me, without wanting to knock JWP or his ability but the fee we would be talking about to get him would probably open up a lot of European midfielders, CL, regular international starter at the euros etc 

JWP at £50-60m to me is putting a lot of emphasis on wanting established players from English football

All that said spurs paid how much for ndombele? No such thing as a guaranteed success 

Not sure why people keep talking about Ward-Prowse costing £60m, even Southampton fans don't think he'd cost that much, if he leaves it will be around £40m.

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's the main thing for me, without wanting to knock JWP or his ability but the fee we would be talking about to get him would probably open up a lot of European midfielders, CL, regular international starter at the euros etc 

JWP at £50-60m to me is putting a lot of emphasis on wanting established players from English football

All that said spurs paid how much for ndombele? No such thing as a guaranteed success 

Yeah, I just don’t see why we would need him and, imo, he is not an upgrade on our first team… hoping Sanson can show what he has to offer next season and I believe he has the potential to be better and have more quality than McGinn - 2 good players vying for one spot already. With a few in reserve also.

I’m sure JWP is not a DM or even a DLP and doesn’t seem to possess that kind of skill set (at a high enough level/quality anyway).

Don’t even know if we are after him but all I would say is there are many players out there who can take a great free kick and have excellent delivery that can offer us something different and can genuinely improve and upgrade our team.

Doesn’t seem worthwhile to spend £40m+ on JWP, those funds could be better spent. Again, I would like a physical presence in midfield to help us out a bit, with quality on the ball & ability to retain/control possession.

We could get a quality AM who can take a cracking free kick too.

Just my opinion, but if Dean genuinely wants him then I’m fully accepting of it. 

I like the idea of JWP more and more after thinking about it.

Sadly think I don’t see us signing him but so not expecting anything at all.

• Like 1

I think this would be an excellent signing. I'd be fairly surprised if we could make it happen, albeit less than I would have been 4 days ago.

We could have JWP, Luiz/McGinn and Buendia as our first choice midfield with the option to put Buendia on the right and drop Traore for Nakamba when we needed a bit more defensive solidity.

What would people be happy to pay? We all know there's a premium for buying from the English leagues and an extra one for English players, but I see him as a pretty sure thing so it wouldn't bother me. I think £40m + £10m addons or £45m flat would be a lot of money, but justifiable.

My big worry would be that people get on his back for costing so much as he's not a flashy player. I'm sure a few worldie freekicks would go some way to negating that though.

43 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

Hmm. Transfermarkt has 27. 

Still more than I expected, admittedly. 

After the 97 tournament and Up until the 2000/01 season he scored three over three domestic and CL seasons. So hardly prolific, or the sort of regular threat you'd need to plan against. I do remember commentators regularly panning him for trying to recreate that wondergoal as another effort ballooned hopelessly into the stands. 

But by the looks of it, in 2000-01 season he bagged eight alone. Maybe Raul and the like were monopolising the chances closer to goal in earlier campaigns and only letting him have a dig from far out before then. 

Maybe the number I found included indirect efforts where someone rolled it to him? Not sure.

26 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I think this would be an excellent signing. I'd be fairly surprised if we could make it happen, albeit less than I would have been 4 days ago.

We could have JWP, Luiz/McGinn and Buendia as our first choice midfield with the option to put Buendia on the right and drop Traore for Nakamba when we needed a bit more defensive solidity.

What would people be happy to pay? We all know there's a premium for buying from the English leagues and an extra one for English players, but I see him as a pretty sure thing so it wouldn't bother me. I think £40m + £10m addons or £45m flat would be a lot of money, but justifiable.

My big worry would be that people get on his back for costing so much as he's not a flashy player. I'm sure a few worldie freekicks would go some way to negating that though.

Don’t forget Sanson, seems to be getting overlooked… we have enough box to box MFs, could do with a different option in there…

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Don’t forget Sanson, seems to be getting overlooked… we have enough box to box MFs, could do with a different option in there…

I'm looking forward to seeing him play this season. I only didn't mention him because I don't expect him to be first choice right away and Nakamba is the 'different' one that gives us an option. 

Personally I'm more than happy to only have one 'pure' DM as I'd have no problem at all starting with JWP, (an in form) McGinn and Buendia in the middle. They might not have size, but they are all tenacious and teams would have to really work to get the better of them. There would be a good attacking threat with Buendia's creativity and passing, JWP's set pieces and McGinn's...arse.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

I reckon we'd primarily be signing him to play the Luiz deep-lying playmaker role, possibly with Luiz being moved forwards (or to the bench).

I was surprised by the link and didn't really think he was what we needed, but trust the powers that be and am sure he'd be a positive addition at the right price.

This would be another near perfect signing. 

In my opinion we don’t have a single CM who couldn’t be replaced. Our midfield is the only weak link left. 

Edited by Spoony

Â