James Ward-Prowse

dont_do_it_doug.

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I was saying to a mate the other week no other major sports league I can think of gets away with people touting baseless transfer rumours to level of UK football

https://www.footballtransferleague.co.uk/sources/the_guardian

Hmmm

rumours.jpg

Unless I'm mistaken, the way this site measures the accuracy of transfer rumours is by whether or not said transfer is completed. This is not a good way to measure transfer rumours, as the story illustrated shows. It names four players as Man United 'top targets', it does not say they are going to sign them. Often newspapers show this with the 'shopping list' metaphor; obviously the difference between a shopping list and a receipt is that a shopping list is a prospective list of desires, while a receipt is a retrospective list of purchases. Sometimes people go to the store with a shopping list, and find that the item they want is not available, or they might discover it is too expensive and so buy a cheaper alternative.

By the way this site measures the accuracy of sources, readers of a newspaper who were told that Man United were trying to buy Jadon Sancho last summer were mislead. But that's silly. If we have two people, and Person A knows that United tried and failed to sign Sancho because he read it in the paper, and Person B doesn't know that because the paper didn't report it, who is better informed? Who is better able to assess Ed Woodward's performance? Who understands better why Jack Grealish is still a Villa player? It's obviously not Person B is it.

I completely agree that a lot of 'transfer rumour' news is hype, clickbait, speculation and in some cases outright lying. But this website doesn't seem like a good way to track it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

He’s the very definition of a flaccid cock. 

He’d better quickly find his blue pills. The whole country, including pundits and the England squad, recognise Jack as a unique talent, that can’t be replicated.

These type of talents, no matter what the sport, rarely fit into a generally recognised format. That’s what makes them unique. A good coach recognises this and finds the best way to take advantage for the good of the team. What they don’t do is try to change the player to make him fit their limited game plan. That just throws away the advantage. A very poor coach is frightened of this player that steps out of the norm and can’t find a way to utilise the talent. They solve this “problem” by trying to marginalise them and use any excuse they can to put them to one side. Sound familiar?

If we do well this summer it will be in spite of the head coach and not because of him. National coaches are generally chosen on the evidence of a very successful career with a long list of success as a previous manager. They're not chosen because they won’t upset the sensibilities of some old duffers with even less clue about what’s going on than the bloke they’re appointing. And there is the root of the problem. 

Let’s get JWP signed. He said,  remembering to keep on topic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Definitely and can't complain really but the whole point of the Romania friendly was information for the tournament, if Southgate didn't come out of that thinking Jack is nailed on, JWP would be a massive asset, Johnston being better then the buffoon and Godfrey and White looking awful, then I don't know what he was looking at.

White didn't look awful, I think he'd have been a better choice than Coady in the original 26 and I think Mings really needs to stay switched on as White will be after his spot.

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

White didn't look awful, I think he'd have been a better choice than Coady in the original 26 and I think Mings really needs to stay switched on as White will be after his spot.

Mings big advantage, should be anyway, is that he’s left footed. You’re right though, he does need to stay focused. 

We've long been conditioned that we need a 'destroyer' in the middle of the park, and there have been come great ones in the Premier League. The modern-day setup requires more of a quarterback however, with more of a focus on ball retention. If you keep the ball, you're less likely to need to win it back all the time, and I think Smith & co. have cited that as a key area to improve.

Too often have we given the ball away cheaply, forcing pressure on ourselves. With players like JWP and Dougie able to link up play from the defence to Buendia, Jack and Traore, I think this will be a key area to bring someone in.

Hope this happens.

• Like 4

I feel sorry for JWP in being left out of the final England squad.

On the upside it probably improves any chance we have in signing him by not being distracted by the Euros. Fingers crossed we can get this one done as he would be a very good addition to the team.

UTV

24 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Too often have we given the ball away cheaply, forcing pressure on ourselves. With players like JWP and Dougie able to link up play from the defence to Buendia, Jack and Traore, I think this will be a key area to bring someone in.

I agree with your whole post in general but we haven't signed JWP (don't think the rumour has any legs) and we have McGinn (Smith rates him regardless of VT member opinions) and recently signed Sanson

Edited by Kiwivillan

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I agree with your whole post in general but we haven't signed JWP (don't think the rumour has any legs) and we have McGinn (Smith rates him regardless of VT member opinions) and recently signed Sanson

Yeah, I meant "a JWP-type" I guess. Good first-touch, can find space, good range of passing and linking. Sanson could well be that player, I can't say that we've seen enough to tell yet.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Yeah, I meant "a JWP-type" I guess. Good first-touch, can find space, good range of passing and linking. Sanson could well be that player, I can't say that we've seen enough to tell yet.

I don't see McGinn and Luiz not starting beginning next season barring injury or at least 2 of McGinn Luiz Sanson but totally agree about the midfield destroyer mindset and Smith wants double pivot quarterback player (Luiz) + marauder (McGinn)

Edited by Kiwivillan

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

The more I think about it, the more I want this signing to happen. We could use a snarling free kick assassin in the squad. 

Some very good at picking out a singular target as wel from video footage I've seen. It's something we've massively let ourselves down at which is finding a solo target.

Seems were trying to add strengths to our game that gives us boosts in other areas.

I really want this to happen the more I've thought on it. Still can't see it but then, I couldn't see us signing Buendia over Arsenal but here we are. This club has a habit of surprising me a lot lately. 

Playing a 4-3-3 with Mcginn, Sanson, Luiz, JWP to choose from (add Carney and Nakamba to that) would be great. All willing runners and able to press.

Also to be able to put on a front three and choose from Jack, Ollie, Traore, Buendia and El Ghazi would be pretty good.

Ballretention, willing runners, high press, Jack and Buendias creativity. Damn.

If it wasn't for him being on 5 contract recently signed I wouldn't rule it out but that very detail flies in face of signings we make and confirms my suspicion that original article is fishing expedition

Edited by Kiwivillan

14 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

If it wasn't for him being on 5 contract recently signed I wouldn't rule it out but that very detail flies in face of signings we make and confirms my suspicion that original article is fishing expedition

Really, I would never have guessed! :0)

I’d love him at Villa but can’t see it personally, unless we pay big money to bring him in. Recently signed a long term deal, arguably their best player with Ings and Vestergaard and club captain. I don’t doubt we have more financial muscle but Southampton aren’t to be disrespected and with some sound investment could be direct competitors next year 

• Like 1

In a market where Aaron Wan-Bissaka moves for £50 million with limited top flight experience and Burnleh were looking for similar last summer with Tarkowski, Southampton could ask as much as £70 million for their captain and current England international. They might deal at somewhere in the region of £60 million, but - unless he has a buyout clause or whatever - it just doesn't seem to be the route we'd go. 

Another possibility is we may have informally tested the waters with Jack, Mings or possibly even Targett asking him would he be up for it and his camp have leaked our interest to get him a better deal at Soton. 

• Like 2

I still think this is Jack says we are no good on free kicks + JWP is good at freekicks = credible link personally.

The timing is just too coincidental otherwise and seems highly unlikely for it to come out when a) we are at an advanced stage of signing Buendia and b) it was unclear if JWP was taking part in the Euro's.

Not at all convinced this has legs.

• Sad 1

We're going to address this free kicks thing though surely. 

If Jack spoken about it so publicly, even unwittingly it's obviously a known and understood problem within the club. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We're going to address this free kicks thing though surely. 

If Jack spoken about it so publicly, even unwittingly it's obviously a known and understood problem within the club. 

Will probably be Buendia. Traore took some. I think front 6 will be McGinn Luiz Grealish Buendia Traore Watkins with usual suspects on bench and rest of our signings will be backup for several positions

Â