Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

12 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

Southgate harping on about experience being needed all the time. Translates to playing his favourites who play for United/City/Chelsea. 

Like he's pretty much said Sancho hasn't been playing because it's his first 'big tournament'. 

Something tells me the players may be all smiles for the public and get on great, however, I would not be surprised if the majority of them think Southgate's a complete dickhead. The way he speaks about the players, like they haven't played high pressured games before. I'm sure he's pissed a few off already and as dim as some may be they won't suffer from being taken in by his bullshit. Especially when they are the excuse for his incompetency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Got double the points than Spain after 2 games played. Just sayin.

Spain are probably the weakest of the top teams though and arguably had harder games

1 hour ago, Genie said:

These decisions are all coming home to roost now.

Could have left Maguire and Henderson out and taken Watkins and JWP.

Should be playing Grealish from the start, dropping Sterling. Don’t Need 2 holding midfielders. Kane dropping too deep and being ineffective. Defensive and lacking ideas going forward.
ALL the things that we feared before the tournament happening before our eyes.

Yeah agree with most of that.

The 2 holding midfielders is the thing that I find really frustrating.

Play Rice - yeah totally get it. But to essentially have 7 defensive players at home to Scotland - what a mess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

The positive is that theres time to put (most of) these things right 

Of course, in tournament football you dont play well every game and you dont get extra points for turning on the style in the group games. Southagate has been over-cautious the fisrt two games but I expect the shackles to be taken off against the CZechs and i have no doubt Grealish will start this one.

1 minute ago, PaulC said:

Of course, in tournament football you dont play well every game and you dont get extra points for turning on the style in the group games. Southagate has been over-cautious the fisrt two games but I expect the shackles to be taken off against the CZechs and i have no doubt Grealish will start this one.

Same

But then I expect the shackles to be put straight back on in the next round 

• Like 1

Just saw Southgate say he took Kane off against Croatia as we were already ahead and didn’t need another goal.

Also confirmed Kane will definitely be starting.

Sums the clearing in the woods up.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Just saw Southgate say he took Kane off against Croatia as we were already ahead and didn’t need another goal.

Also confirmed Kane will definitely be starting.

Sums the clearing in the woods up.

Saw that too...... He genuinely seemed completely oblivious to the fact that Kane has been a total passenger and has contributed nothing.

• Like 1

Declan Rice has completed only 3 progressive passes in 180 minutes (from just 8 attempts). This is in games where we’ve dominated possession at Wembley vs. Croatia and Scotland? That’s atrocious. 

And Neville has the gall to say Mings is the issue with our distribution… 

If Rice and Phillips both start on Tuesday Southgate is actually clueless. He has to play Grealish.

Edited by Cizzler

Not sure if it's just occurred as I've gotten older, but the connection between fans and the national team seems to lessen after every major tournament. With every media hype job and then team failure, it gets worse.

If the FA keep Southgate on after the tournament, unless he miraculously turns things around, then I believe that fan relationship will be irreparably damaged; they'd rather have a yes man than a successful one and it'll be clear to everyone.

14 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Saw that too...... He genuinely seemed completely oblivious to the fact that Kane has been a total passenger and has contributed nothing.

He is a moron. 

12 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

England will not go close to winning Euro2020 unless Kane starts firing so Southgate will not drop him under any circumstances. You also have to consider that he has had next to no service or support, especially against Scotland and he isn't used to that. His success at Spuds comes from having a lively support structure around him where he is largely the finisher with others creating the chances ..... nobody created chances against Scotland because most of the team were defensive players !

1 minute ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Not sure if it's just occurred as I've gotten older, but the connection between fans and the national team seems to lessen after every major tournament. With every media hype job and then team failure, it gets worse.

If the FA keep Southgate on after the tournament, unless he miraculously turns things around, then I believe that fan relationship will be irreparably damaged; they'd rather have a yes man than a successful one and it'll be clear to everyone.

Mostly always been the case.

2 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

That's always  been the way, ever since Clough was overlooked for the job we have been doomed by old men and clueless people picking who is our manager.  It shouldn't  even be that hard with the talent we have . But Southgate had mismanaged us and we have a squad who don't want others to succeed at their own expense .

Just now, tinker said:

That's always  been the way, ever since Clough was overlooked for the job we have been doomed by old men and clueless people picking who is our manager.  It shouldn't  even be that hard with the talent we have . But Southgate had mismanaged us and we have a squad who don't want others to succeed at their own expense .

When we appointed Sven, Capello, and maybe even Fat Sam I don't think they appointed yes men. Agree about Clough though.

You raise a good point who selects the England manager though. Historically, and especially more recently, it has been done by old men who are more interested in generating revenue than the good of the game, and this needs to change.

I don't think Kane starting is much of an issue. He's by far the best striker we have. The issue is how we're setting up around him and the patterns of play we're trying to do (if there are any patterns at all). We've got a whole bunch of creativity and good attacking fullbacks, yet we're not utilising any of it as much as we should be. Everything is just far too conservative. 

• Like 2

482499350_lineup(1).png.b96209052cf0234aa14b020113b2bba0.png

We should start like this imo. 

Or if Sterling needs to play then play Sterling LW, Foden RF and Jack in the middle and bench Sancho.

We have so many good options.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I don't think Kane starting is much of an issue. He's by far the best striker we have. The issue is how we're setting up around him and the patterns of play we're trying to do (if there are any patterns at all). We've got a whole bunch of creativity and good attacking fullbacks, yet we're not utilising any of it as much as we should be. Everything is just far too conservative. 

Yes I can only think of two decent balls in that Kane was able to get on the end of at the back post.  It's hard when the full backs don't seem to be allowed beyond the halfway line, we play 2 defensive midfielders and Sterling's first touch being so shocking.  Mount's corners in the last game were an embarrassment too.  If you surround Kane with creative players and people who will run beyond him, he will be fine.

Â